News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New York bombing

Started by pr126, September 18, 2016, 01:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Too early to call false flag?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 18, 2016, 04:08:44 PM
The person that made the bomb and planted it could be just crazy and wanted to hurt people. It could be revenge for something. There are plenty of reasons that do not equate to terrorism. Jumping to conclusions get us nowhere.

None of which you have named means it's not terrorism.

You don't set off bombs in public without intention to harm and terrorise multiple people. That's just not the mo of bomb makers.

The only reason it is really relevant, to me it's all semantics... is because it determines how ass fucked by the law they will be.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2016, 05:24:18 PM
None of which you have named means it's not terrorism.

I did not say it wasn't terrorism. I only said there is not enough info to pin it on terrorism. It could be terrorism, it could be something else.

Bombs are easy to make. Anyone can look up a recipe on the internet. Anyone with any motive, or no motive at all can make one and set one off.  This does not automatically make it a terrorist attack. It's possible that it is a terrorist attack, but it's also possible that it is not.

Shiranu

The very nature of bomb attacks are what make it a terrorist attack. I'm sorry, but you don't use a bomb if you aren't trying to indiscriminately kill, and you don't indiscriminately kill without a reason.

Again though, it's all semantics and perspective.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nonsensei

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2016, 06:48:14 PM
The very nature of bomb attacks are what make it a terrorist attack. I'm sorry, but you don't use a bomb if you aren't trying to indiscriminately kill, and you don't indiscriminately kill without a reason.

Sadly nobody in America shares your definition of terrorism. To most Americans its only terrorism when Arabs are responsible. A racist view, but reality nonetheless. THis means that when government figureheads get in front of a camera and use the word terrorism, America hates Arabs a bit more and it doesn't even matter what the specifics of the attack are.

Thats why there is, to liberal leaders, value in being very precise in what they label actual terrorism. They keep the definition specific so they don't have to start using it for literally everything bad that ever happens.

This is also why, to conservative leaders, its beneficial to make the definition as broad as possible so as to create the appearance that America is under siege by foreign brown skinned savages. Whenever Americans feel threatened in this way they traditionally vote for conservatives. Ramping up the race hatred and paranoia is in the best interest of the republican party. Thats why this is even an issue. They want as many things as possible to be terrorism so they can increase their chances of being elected.

And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2016, 06:48:14 PM

The fact that you and other people jump to conclusions like this is the very reason fear mongering and bullshit movements that rely on emotional triggers work

PickelledEggs

Again. There is no known agenda as of yet. It's premature to say "it's terrorism" even though it is one of the possibilities. It is only one of the possibilities though. This is a fucked up world and if you think people wouldn't blow up a city block just for the fun of it and no actual agenda other than that, you are dead wrong and you are eliminating many possible reasons for this attack and many possible suspects.

There are too many things we don't know. If there is no known motive, you cant claim an agenda, Shiranu. Until then, and only until then, if there is enough info to know the motive, then we can say "this definitely is/isn't a terrorist attack"

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 18, 2016, 08:22:14 PM
The fact that you and other people jump to conclusions like this is the very reason fear mongering and bullshit movements that rely on emotional triggers work

What conclusion am I jumping to? How is anything I am saying giving credence to fear mongering?

All it means is someone wanted to commit an act of terrorism and did so. Period. Nothing about who or why,  I'm not sure why that is a hard concept to grasp.

Or are you implying the bomb detonated unintentionally, and it was just a project gone wrong?

PickelledEggs

You are jumping to the conclusion that it is terrorism. You have a tendency to do that; jumping to conclusions.

Sent from your mom.

PickelledEggs

I don't think I need to imply anything, other than "stop jumping to conclusions. We don't know enough info and we don't know a motive."

Sent from your mom.

Shiranu

*sigh* Never mind.

We are using different definitions of terrorism apparently, because no where in mine does it state an objective nor is an objective in itself.

Baruch

I knew a good old boy from the country, who used to build pipe bombs in the country, just for fun.  He wasn't Arab, Muslim or politically motivated.  When the business end of a cast iron pipe (the bomb casing) flew past his ear he says he stopped being such a damned fool.

Usually terrorism is state motivated, either by a state using a resistance group as a patsy (IRA) or an actual state directly.  The Al Qaida boys, and their ISIS cousins are a proto-state or patsies for actual states.  Not every act of violence is terrorism, and the biggest actor in terrorism is the USA.  We use resistance groups all the time (see Cuban exiles) or do "shock and awe" directly ... which of course never ever targets civilians ... cross my heart and hope to vote in November.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2016, 08:46:26 PM
*sigh* Never mind.

We are using different definitions of terrorism apparently, because no where in mine does it state an objective nor is an objective in itself.
Yes. Most of us are using the correct definition, and then there is whatever you're defining it as.

So I guess we can move on.

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 18, 2016, 08:58:52 PM
Yes. Most of us are using the correct definition, and then there is whatever you're defining it as.

So I guess we can move on.

I'm sorry you think that way, but you are free to do so.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2016, 09:02:50 PM

I'm sorry you think that way, but you are free to do so.

*sips whisky*