News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How much

Started by Contemporary Protestant, May 07, 2014, 11:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

How much evidence do you need to conclude there is God?
What specifically must happen for you to believe?

Dawkins said it would take a 70 foot Jesus saying hey I'm real and even then he might not believe

What would it take for you? Considering anecdotal evidence isn't enough for anyone to believe something

Moralnihilist

It would take evidence that can stand up to peer review, that is testable, repeatable, and falsifiable.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Contemporary Protestant

Specifically? I would appreciate an example

Moralnihilist

I would accept any and all evidence that meets those criteria.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

stromboli

At this point I don't think that anything other than an overwhelming event of such power and magnitude to be absolutely undeniable could convince me.

josephpalazzo

God can show up at the UN, in front of all the nations of this planet, and demonstrate convincingly he is what he says he is. God should know exactly what it is it would take to convince the most skeptics, otherwise he is not deserving of being a god.

Mandingo

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 07, 2014, 11:38:04 AM
How much evidence do you need to conclude there is God?

If there is a god he is worthy of our deepest contempt.

Solitary

If I found Him sitting on a rock in my backyard and brought all my dead puppies back to life, and I wasn't taking LSD. This is really a dumb question.  :butt: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Contemporary Protestant

What defines a dumb question? This is more of a conversational question and not so much an intellectual one

Kinda like what superpower would you want, it's a good question for conversation but not much else

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

For the Judeo-Christian god? Impossible, no evidence, since he is a logical impossibility and, even if real, deserves 0 respect.

A more abstract god? It really depends.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on May 07, 2014, 11:38:04 AMHow much evidence do you need to conclude there is God?
What specifically must happen for you to believe?
A blow to the head.  That or personally coming into contact with God.  Guess which one is more likely.

AllPurposeAtheist

I seek the Holy Grail.. Anyone have any coconuts I can borrow?

Contemporary Protestant

Good luck with that, I hear Spain is nice

AllPurposeAtheist

Good luck with that god thing..