Gay marriage ban struck down in Arizona!!

Started by Atheon, October 17, 2014, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Dang Atheon, you beat me to it.  :doh:

The handwriting is on the wall. The 9th Circuit Court opinion, the Appellate courts and SCOTUS provide an overwhelming number of  previous verdicts but also thousands of pages of written decisions to wade through through to determine a verdict from. So the only judge at this point who would wade through all that would be one die hard homophobic asshole. I'm sure judges don't like to get verdicts overturned, it makes them look bad. And every time these decisions occur it deepens the case on behalf of gay marriage.

StupidWiz

... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

aitm

whats next? People being able to marry a camel? why the whole got-damn world is goin ta satan.....or something like that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Atheon

Next thing you know, dogs will be marrying cats! Because Jesus!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

One hundred and fifty years from now every single one of us will be long gone. For most of us, our names and pictures and video clips will only exist as parts of a family tree put together by a distant relative if our names pictures or video clips still exist at all. Our names and stories will not grace the pages of any history books or whatever media they end up using then.

But this year and these events we're seeing take place with gay marriage bans will be studied by every school student. The year that the supreme court and subsequently state after state after state declared bans on gay marriage unconstitutional will be required learning for every student. And like many history lessons before, most of those students will fail to understand why these events were so important or why they need to learn about it.

For them, the term gay marriage won't exist except in history texts. For them it will just be called marriage. Men women, men men, women women will all be the same. It will all just be marriage to them. One the same as any other. And it will all be so common place and acceptable and 'normal' that they will fail to understand why they need to care that there was once a time when gay people couldn't be married. I envy those lucky bastards, every one of them.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Johan on October 17, 2014, 02:59:46 PM
One hundred and fifty years from now every single one of us will be long gone. For most of us, our names and pictures and video clips will only exist as parts of a family tree put together by a distant relative if our names pictures or video clips still exist at all. Our names and stories will not grace the pages of any history books or whatever media they end up using then.

But this year and these events we're seeing take place with gay marriage bans will be studied by every school student. The year that the supreme court and subsequently state after state after state declared bans on gay marriage unconstitutional will be required learning for every student. And like many history lessons before, most of those students will fail to understand why these events were so important or why they need to learn about it.

For them, the term gay marriage won't exist except in history texts. For them it will just be called marriage. Men women, men men, women women will all be the same. It will all just be marriage to them. One the same as any other. And it will all be so common place and acceptable and 'normal' that they will fail to understand why they need to care that there was once a time when gay people couldn't be married. I envy those lucky bastards, every one of them.
You explained what I was feeling better than I can articulate. I don't want there to be a need for pride fests, LGBT political action committees, to have to clash with anti gay protesters, but unfortunately in 2014 it's still needed. I do have fun messing with homophobes, but in the back of my mind I'm disturbed by the thought that they are still so many in this day and age. I'm getting my boyfriend to be more open, so we will hold hands in public like "normal" straight couples will do. I'll wear my rainbow bracelet on my right wrist and a bullet bracelet on my left wrist whenever I go out. It's very deliberate. It's my way of saying to any potential homophobes that I don't give a fuck what they think, and I'll fuck their shit up if they feel confrontational. So far none of those cowards have done a fucking thing except stare, and I'm fine with that.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hakurei Reimu

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Solitary

Sometimes I'm proud to live in Arizona. Now if we could just get rid of Janus McCain, the two faced liar.  :eek: :pidu:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

(Stromboli gets on internet and researches "bullet bracelets")

Oh, OK. I'm going to make one. With real bullets. I Have a .308 purchase upcoming before next deer season. Always good to have a spare round or two.... Black suede leather. It'll feel good against my skin......

Mermaid

What's a bullet bracelet? Is that like a thing?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on October 18, 2014, 08:52:07 AM
What's a bullet bracelet? Is that like a thing?
They are the  absolute last word in fashion.

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!