News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

God is simple, not complex

Started by Salinger, January 04, 2016, 07:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

Quote from: Salinger on January 04, 2016, 08:25:42 PM
That's a concession, not an explanation.

Uh...what exactly is it you think I conceded?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

facebook164

Quote from: Salinger on January 04, 2016, 07:11:55 PM
This is to correct a common misunderstanding that many atheists seem to have, namely, the mistaken belief that God is complex. God is simple, not complex. That's why God is the most parsimonious explanation for the mystery of existence - for why there is something rather than nothing.
Please elaborate on your understanding of the word "explanation".
Please elaboratr on how you measure complexity.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: stromboli on January 04, 2016, 07:45:07 PM
We don't sit around thinking about a nonexistent god. That would be like expressing opinions of what color the Tooth Fairy's dress is.
It's obviously blue.

Secretly a Warsie.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on January 04, 2016, 07:45:07 PM
We don't sit around thinking about a nonexistent god. That would be like expressing opinions of what color the Tooth Fairy's dress is.
Blue.  It's Blue!  Any nimrod knows that!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 04, 2016, 08:08:41 PM
I bet he never comes back. You guys insult them too quickly. They never stick around to play.
And you don't take his statement as an insult????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Nonsensei

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 04, 2016, 09:08:51 PM
And you don't take his statement as an insult????

No. Its like when a kid calls you fat. Its like "whatever. Youre just a kid".
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 04, 2016, 09:02:21 PM
It's obviously blue.

Secretly a Warsie.
You beat me to it.  So, obviously, the dress is blue.  Absolute proof, I'd say!!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 04, 2016, 09:10:35 PM
No. Its like when a kid calls you fat. Its like "whatever. Youre just a kid".
I actually did not take it as an insult, either.  I could have, since he came to an atheist forum to simply demonstrate how misguided or wrong headed we are.  And you could equate his simple statement as being worthy only of a child.  His mind must be rather simple to believe that.  So, when addressing him we should use the KISS system I guess--and keep it simple stupid.

Mike Cl

This is to correct a common misunderstanding that many atheists seem to have, namely, the mistaken belief that God is complex. God is simple, not complex. That's why God is the most parsimonious explanation for the mystery of existence - for why there is something rather than nothing.
Simple thoughts for simple minds.  It is nice to have a simpleton among us every now and again.  Welcome.

stromboli

I see the discussion has reached a fever pitch. Carry on.

Btw its pink. no self respecting fairy would be caught dead in blue.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on January 04, 2016, 09:16:37 PM
I see the discussion has reached a fever pitch. Carry on.

Btw its pink. no self respecting fairy would be caught dead in blue.

Ahhhh.............I don't think so, Strom.  Blue--did you not read the infallible proof of that above??????

aitm

God is simple,

Finally someone agrees, yes indeed god is quite simple. Very simple. We have hundreds of thousands of simple gods. Thank you for joining our little forum.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 04, 2016, 09:07:39 PM
Blue.  It's Blue!  Any nimrod knows that!
Oh here we go again with the overly simplistic literal interpretation of holy text.  Just because it says blue in the Fairy Scripture doesn't mean the spiritual meaning is actually blue.  Blue is actually from Old French blo, which can also mean blond or yellow.  Also, blue is 4 letters.  So are gold, navy, pink, cyan, lime, and onyx.  Clearly, the original intent was to designate a variety of colors.  Thus, sophisticated theology posits that the Tooth Fairy's dress is all colors and none in particular.  Atheists who say that Tooth Fairy devotees claim that her dress is blue simply lack the intellectual fortitude to fully understand Tooth Fairyism.  Their hateful dismissal of Tooth Fairyism is simply further proof that it is correct.

Hakurei Reimu

Actually, the idea that God is the parsimonious explanation for the existence of the universe is self-defeating, because you now have to explain the existence of God, or the existence of God is itself a concession, and [God] + [Universe] is never as parsimonious as [Universe] alone. You might as well transfer the concession of existence to the universe itself and drop the God term altogether.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

SGOS

You know, I've actually thought about this before.  Why I bothered I'm not sure.  But really what could be simpler?  Where do the stars come from?  God;  Why is the universe perfect? God;  God is great; God is good.  How do you know?  The Bible says so.  God is indeed simple, as simple a pie.  What gets complex is the sideways logic that's required to support the apologetics when the contradictions and Biblical errors start to show up.  This is what becomes a complex house of cards.  God is simple until you have to start explaining the bullshit parts.