News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Johnny Depp

Started by Cassia, November 16, 2021, 07:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

...sure has taken a 'beating' from the 'cancel culture'. Loosing that pirate franchise and missing out on the fantastic beast series just recently. That would have been a good fit, I'd bet.

He may not be the best actor in the world, be he could certainly pick and play iconic roles. I really liked "Sleepy Hollow"..the sets and costumes are great. I liked "Chocolat" too and of course "Edward" was good enough for the great Vincent Price to cameo.

As for the toxic relationship with Amber you may need an abuse point system to see who was 'winning' but he and his legacy sure lost out big time as did his fans who enjoy his acting.

Cassia

Hmmm I see his likeness is still there on the Disney ride....Maybe they are waiting to see how it all plays out. Maybe they can throw in a wrinkle (or two) and call it Keith Richards, LOL.

drunkenshoe

You know what, this thing will prove to be more than just celebrity bullshit, I'm afraid.

As far as I understand Depp has been a moron about a lot of things, besides abusing (?) her back. But he doesn't have a history of domestic violence, while it is claimed she has. And if that's the case and the assault pics are really fake, doctored...etc. she's already gotten away with a lot of things, and harmed domestic violence victim women everywhere badly, esp. in this fucking altright climate all around the globe. Again, if what's been reported about her past -any kind of- relationships is true, that woman has an abuse pattern, a sociopath streak, and smart money says she'll do it again.

So, if you ask me, Depp has a chance of getting cleared in time.

Bad part of all this for women is that this case could be some sort of a mile stone in new world order, if she really lied and went that far to set a plot. (Make up, doctoring photos...)
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

I saw a wicked bar fight between a woman and a man and the cops came and arrested both of them. Tables and glasses flying around. Didn't matter to the cops who started it. Yes, anyone using this hard-won climate of transparency as a weapon is horrible. I think it is a very rare occurrence. Given their past histories, I think it a possibility here. Either way it is a real shame.

Shiranu

Always found this to be a shining example of, "The man is always guilty", regardless of evidence or lack-thereof.

If a woman did half the things she did to him I would say any violence back towards her was 100% justified... yet his life was destroyed and she still gets gigs all the time.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I tend not to follow celebrities closely enough to know about their personal lives, so I have no firm stance on these allegations.

But I do note that whether the abuser is male or female apparently matters to a large percentage of people, and I do have a strong stance against that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on November 17, 2021, 04:59:43 PM
...yet his life was destroyed and she still gets gigs all the time.

That part is annoying tons of women to no end, don't worry.

But I don't think things will stay like this for Depp.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

It's too bad, I always liked Depp, not because he was a good actor, although he impressed me no end in Blow and I started to watch him after that.  But 10 or 15 years ago, some "follow the stars" article rated one aspect of star's personalities, centering on how nice they were to their fans.  Depp came out on top because he always took time to talk to his fans and seemed to genuinely like people.  Tobey Maguire, who I also liked as an actor, came out on the bottom as being arrogant and annoyed by everyone.

Recently, though Depp seems to have changed.  He got in some frakus in Australia for ignoring some rule about traveling for no reason other than he seemed to think rules didn't apply to him.  It was about refusing to vaccinate his dog against rabies, or something else that was easy enough to comply with if I remember.   That article portrayed him as a dick.

Dantalion

I think people should be able to apologize and change. Cancel culture is completely rotting our society. Nobody is perfect. People make mistakes. It’s how you learn from them that should define who you are. I hope he mends his relationship with his ex and is able to find a nice place for himself in Hollywood.

Draconic Aiur

This whole fiasco between the two has robbed me of Depp's acting career. Death to Heard's bullshit!

FreethinkingSceptic

Quote from: Shiranu on November 17, 2021, 04:59:43 PMAlways found this to be a shining example of, "The man is always guilty", regardless of evidence or lack-thereof.

If a woman did half the things she did to him I would say any violence back towards her was 100% justified... yet his life was destroyed and she still gets gigs all the time.
Nope, not according to the law. The only legally justified violence is reasonable force in self-defense. Retributive violence simply because you hate a person or believe they "harmed your acting gig" will never cut it, that's just pure fantasy and the stuff of low-budget revenge films.

FreethinkingSceptic

Quote from: Shiranu on November 17, 2021, 04:59:43 PMAlways found this to be a shining example of, "The man is always guilty", regardless of evidence or lack-thereof.
Okay, so there may be some people who, due to being ignorant of our laws and societal institutions - "always assume the man is guilty". (Or the woman, depending on their persuasion).

But that's got little to do with the reality of the legal matters, such as this being a case of private companies electing not to do business with Johnny Depp for PR reasons. So you could say she "ruined his life" if you want, or then again you couldn't depending on the angle you're taking.

If I was going to postulate something, I'd wonder if Johnny Depp would have grounds to sue the companies - though I'm not aware of the terms of his contracts, so I can't comment on that myself.

Shiranu

Quote from: FreethinkingSceptic on May 17, 2022, 12:38:30 AMNope, not according to the law. The only legally justified violence is reasonable force in self-defense.
Right... so physically assaulting her, since that's literally what she was doing to him... making it reasonable and equal force.

The entire point of my statement being exactly that...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur