Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Good observation.  I think at the time (1966) Star Trek was considered a Space Western wanting to be a Space Opera.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Just watched Star Wars again. It's still great. Probably going to see it with family later this week.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solomon Zorn

Just finished watching Ant-Man on blu-ray. Wow! What a fun ride! All we need now is Wasp, and we'll have all five original Avengers, from their first appearance in 1963: Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, and Wasp.  :geek:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on December 29, 2015, 08:38:35 PM
Just finished watching Ant-Man on blu-ray. Wow! What a fun ride! All we need now is Wasp, and we'll have all five original Avengers, from their first appearance in 1963: Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, and Wasp.  :geek:

Yes, that one was a surprising treat.  I never imagined the Ant Man concept would be that good.

Baruch

Beware the original villain group ... R.A.I.D ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Oh my god... the cameos...

Also... my god I hope this is true.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: SGOS on December 29, 2015, 08:58:29 PM
Yes, that one was a surprising treat.  I never imagined the Ant Man concept would be that good.
I read a book when I was a kid called, "The Micronauts." It was about miniaturization, and the adventures of some ant-sized explorers.

As for the movie, I thought Paul Rudd was perfectly cast, and I enjoyed seeing that Micheal Douglas had a very large part in the film. There's a lot of humor in it as well, especially with Ant-Man's close friends.

I heard they're doing an "Ant-Man and Wasp" movie in the near future.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

SGOS

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on December 30, 2015, 06:52:31 AM
As for the movie, I thought Paul Rudd was perfectly cast,

That was another surprise.  He turned out to be an excellent choice for the part, but I never would have anticipated that.  In fact, I discounted the movie somewhat when I heard he was going to be ant man.  I always get Paul Rudd confused with Ryan Reynolds, and never thought of either of them as serious actors, but they both seem to have broken out of their usual one dimensional roles this year.

Hydra009

More Star Wars spoilers

[spoiler]I just watched Angry Joe and co's discussion and they bring up one thing that I absolutely disagree with.  The guy on the left says that Kylo Ren should've been scarred under the mask, "like a Sith should look".  This plays into a pair of tropes that the good guys should look attractive while the bad guys should look unattractive/disfigured.  I don't blame him for this expectation - Palpatine and Vader, the two most famous Star Wars villains, were both heavily disfigured - but it's a terrible trope to keep using, so I'm glad they didn't do that this time around.  Because obviously, looks are unrelated to evil.  Villains can come in a variety of forms, just like heroes.  It'd be stupid to have the villain be some deformed guy every single time.

Also, I don't think Rylo Ren was an unbearably angsty teen.  I think he pulled it off decently.  And compared to prequel Anakin, he's great.  I count this as an example of Abrams and Disney successfully pulling off what Lucas couldn't - a young man seduced by the dark side.[/spoiler]

aitm

Just watched Star Wars on the IMAX in 3. Fun. Good tie in with older stuff. Nothing too wacky, I thought the "mind channeling" or whatever you call it was drug out a little more than need be but hey, I had fun. Its a movie. But holy cow the previews of shit coming!  Star Trek looks interesting, Independence day looks fun, Capt America and then we have the Superman,Batman, Wonderwoman thing looks fun. Crap I might spend a week n the theatre.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on December 30, 2015, 01:12:01 PM
Star Trek looks interesting, Independence day looks fun, Capt America and then we have the Superman,Batman, Wonderwoman thing looks fun. Crap I might spend a week n the theatre.

Yep.  :celebrate:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

leo

Quote from: aitm on December 30, 2015, 01:12:01 PM
Just watched Star Wars on the IMAX in 3. Fun. Good tie in with older stuff. Nothing too wacky, I thought the "mind channeling" or whatever you call it was drug out a little more than need be but hey, I had fun. Its a movie. But holy cow the previews of shit coming!  Star Trek looks interesting, Independence day looks fun, Capt America and then we have the Superman,Batman, Wonderwoman thing looks fun. Crap I might spend a week n the theatre.
What about the force awakens score ? How do you rate the movie?
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Shiranu

Pk (2014) - Another Bollywood film staring Amir Khan alongside Anushka Sharma, this one takes place after an alien (Khan) arrives on Earth and almost immediately finds himself in trouble as his way back home is stolen from him. Unable to speak Hindi at first, and then not understanding anything of human culture, finds himself in multiple hijinks... first of a male/female dynamic but then later religious. He "adopts" the name PK after many people call him it... not realising the peekay is the Hindi word for "drunk" which they believe he is.

Anushka's role as a TV personality mean while has her in Belgium where she falls in love with a Pakistani guy... just to have her family and religious leader tell her he will betray her and sure enough he does. She ends up meeting PK and tries to get his story because of his appearance and he is posting  and hading out fliers everywhere "Lost: God. If found him please call" and thus she ends up learning about how he has survived.

The middle and final acts become a fight between PK's naive view on religion and how it conflicts with the religious leaders and different sects in India, culminating in a debate with one of the largest prophets in the country. It is very condemning of religious expenditures on prestige and temples rather than the poor as well as religious leaders who make false claims... and it wasn't something I was expecting from an Indian film. There were one or two people actually set themselves on fire in protest of this so it wasn't something that certain sects apparently appreciated.

All in all it was a good film; it is mostly comedy but dealing with a very controversial subject. The romance part is not over-done and it doesn't end with the main character magically ending up with the romantic lead... which I appreciated.

Baruch

Indian version of Mr Bean?  Things look much clearer thru eyes of an alien ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Also to add, first time to the big theatre since the last Star Trek. Don't go often. Also first time I have had popcorn since the same time. Don't each much popcorn either…..don't know how they do it, but you can't argue most movie popcorn is the frickin best.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust