News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Garden Center

Started by Cassia, May 07, 2022, 11:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

if you enjoy gardening without pleading and praying to fictional characters, post here...!
Some pics over the last few years...
Peppers are easy here...

Purple toes and purple peppers

Grandpa Ott morning glory

Seedlings

Mike Cl

Great pictures--and garden.  And CA does have some excellent cabernet sauvignon!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 07, 2022, 11:34:35 AMGreat pictures--and garden.  And CA does have some excellent cabernet sauvignon!
Thank you. I bought some not too expensive cases of Cali cabernet sauvignon that I liked and basically forget about them and let them just mellow out for years. Yummm, but now they are all gone. When I visited Cali, I was blown away by the gardens.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on May 07, 2022, 11:59:27 AMThank you. I bought some not too expensive cases of Cali cabernet sauvignon that I liked and basically forget about them and let them just mellow out for years. Yummm, but now they are all gone. When I visited Cali, I was blown away by the gardens.
Yeah, California and gardens go together; almost the entire state is a garden of one sort or another.  The San Joaquin Valley is huge--goes from Redding in the north thru Bakersfield in the south--several hundred miles long.  That is now in danger because of the lack of water and the increasing heat.  When I first moved to Merced (right in the middle of that huge valley) 100 degree heat happened every now and again.  In the last few years we have had 100 for 2/3 weeks in a row, with low's in the 70's.  Our typical plants don't really like that kind of heat. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Nice. Is that you? *Waves frantically. Dad has a tiny corner in a very small garden at the summer house. Three kinds of peppers, aubergine, tomatoes, cucumber, parsely and broad beans. He makes wine too. This year I'll be all  over that work as the apprentice. He makes a lot of stuff. My fave is his green olives. I dunno what's gonna happen this year, depends on the harvest. But oh my...I can eat serious amount of that stuff.     
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 09, 2022, 01:14:44 AMNice. Is that you? *Waves frantically. Dad has a tiny corner in a very small garden at the summer house. Three kinds of peppers, aubergine, tomatoes, cucumber, parsely and broad beans. He makes wine too. This year I'll be all  over that work as the apprentice. He makes a lot of stuff. My fave is his green olives. I dunno what's gonna happen this year, depends on the harvest. But oh my...I can eat serious amount of that stuff.   
Wow, that is so cool shoe, veg, olives and wine! Yea, that's me but I have let the hair go grey and I like it.

When I stayed in Italy in the hills near Naples, they had olive and lemon trees everywhere. That soil of the volcano is so rich.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cassia on May 09, 2022, 08:48:06 AMWow, that is so cool shoe, veg, olives and wine! Yea, that's me but I have let the hair go grey and I like it.

Thanks, yeah, I love it too and I need to learn all about that, lol.

That didn't look good on me. It's a mix of unbalanced black and white and it's weak. At least for now. I've dyed it to a natural kind of copper brown and cut it messy short. I liked it, so I'm sticking with it for now.

QuoteWhen I stayed in Italy in the hills near Naples, they had olive and lemon trees everywhere. That soil of the volcano is so rich.

Oh...sounds so good. I still haven't been to Italy. But I can guess the general smell. Mmmhm.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

Just planted some "Love lies Bleeding" Amaranthus. How dramatic! Here is what I found about it.

It can be grown for its tart-tasting leaves. They taste mulch like spinach and indeed, both plants belong to the Amaranthaceae family. You can use them the same way as you would spinach too, either cooked or raw, in just about any recipe requires a bit of sweet-and-sour greenery. Also, you can harvest and consume the nutty-tasting seeds, produced in long cords that sometimes drip to the ground. They're extremely nutritious and rich in protein. Remove the outer shell by rubbing the seeds against a screen, then blow away the chaff. Try cooking amaranth grain for 20 to 30 minutes in 2 times the volume of boiling water. You can then use the swollen, softened seeds in patties, porridge, soups, risottos, stews and host of other recipes. You can also be sauté amaranth grains in hot oil and they'll pop like mini-popcorn, much to the delight of kids. Our great-grandmothers knew love-lies-bleeding well: it was a classic Victorian bedding plant, often seen in photos of flower beds in the late 19th and early 20th century.

the_antithesis

Cassia

Random shots to an old song I wrote after binging game of thrones

Cassia

Pretty excited! In the deadly-hot summer season we don't garden at all..but this year we have started loquat, pineapple and Brazilian spinach cuttings as well as mulberry, amaranth, Seminole pumpkin, luffa, and moringa seedlings.

Traditional veggies do ok here if started in the fall, yet we had a delicious sweet potato leaf and longevity spinach stir fry for lunch today. It is kinda interesting to try new foods at our age. We also ordered a soymilk/rice milk machine to make yogurt.

Sorginak

Every garden should have this flower:

Mike Cl

Quote from: Sorginak on June 05, 2022, 09:09:38 PMEvery garden should have this flower:

I agree--what is it and does it take very hot weather??

Sorginak

Mike Cl

Quote from: Sorginak on June 06, 2022, 07:54:22 AMLove-in-a-Mist
Going to have to try these--like the 'self seeding' aspect as well as the beautiful flowers.  Thanks for the tip.