Why is Windows 10 Being Offered for Free?

Started by SGOS, March 11, 2016, 06:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I currently have Windows 8.1 and am continually being bombarded with popups offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft.  Why does one of the world's foremost examples of capitalism want to give me Windows 10?  I don't understand. 

Finally, after a couple of hundred popups, I must have accidently clicked on "Install Now", because  when I cleared the screen to shut down my computer, I had a notice not to unplug or turn off my computer as Windows 10 was now being installed.  So I just let it happen.  And what happened was the usual:  I ended up with a new version of Windows, which was not totally compatible with all of my earlier software.  My biggest concern is always first with Flight Simulator, which is no longer supported by Microsoft since they closed down that division nearly 10 years ago, and with each new version of Windows, more work-arounds have to be found to keep the thing up and running.  One of my media players simply can't be installed in Windows 10, and does not function at all.

The good news is that if you act quickly (before one month transpires), you can restore Windows 8.1 in about 90 minutes to 2 hours, which I did after a couple of days with Windows 10.  I'm seldom overly impressed with new editions of Windows.  Some are improvements, and some follow on the heels of one of their previous disaster editions (Windows Millennium for example), and are sorely needed.  Most of the time, I view them as just one more pain in the ass from Microsoft.

What I don't understand is why Microsoft wants to give it to me for free?

SGOS

Oh wait.  I didn't click on something by accident.  If you have Windows 7 or 8 and get automatic updates, Windows 10 will automatically get uploaded and then install itself, whether you want it or not.  Also, I haven't looked closely at this site yet.  Often times, these types of sites that offer malware protection, or some "stop the bullshit" protection offer nothing but malware themselves.

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

Baruch

This continual update policy is the new normal.  Apple does the same.  One can always see it as an indirect revenue stream to give it away for free ... because you have to replace your old apps, that they will charge for.

Why it is done is a conspiracy theory ... if I told you, I would have to visit you and kill ... your computer.  I work in IT ... at work we have to update our stuff weekly ... forever.  Red pill or blue pill?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Johan

Quote from: SGOS on March 11, 2016, 06:16:54 AM
uickly (before one month transpires) I'm seldom overly impressed with new editions of Windows.  Some are improvements, and some follow on the heels of one of their previous disaster editions (Windows Millennium for example), and are sorely needed. 
Windows ME was one such disaster. So was Vista. And from what I've read, so was Windows 8.

What I don't understand is why Microsoft wants to give it to me for free?
Like Adobe and several others, Microsoft is shifting to a subscription based model. You won't buy their software anymore, you will rent it. Understandably, lots of people won't like this business model and will avoid using it as long as possible. What better way to cure that problem than to push those people a new OS for free that no longer runs older versions of their software thereby forcing those folks into the software rental age.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Originally, in the days of mainframes ... you didn't own the hardware or the software.  And you had an IBM engineer in your shop, working for IBM, to run it for you (and spy on your corporate data).  The PC was invented to overturn that ... but the Borg are never happy unless you are fully assimilated.  MS and Apple are just the new IBM.  I look back on the 80s in home computers with genuine nostalgia.  Excuse me ... time to get back to the salt mine ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Johan on March 11, 2016, 07:06:57 AM
Windows ME was one such disaster. So was Vista. And from what I've read, so was Windows 8.

Like Adobe and several others, Microsoft is shifting to a subscription based model. You won't buy their software anymore, you will rent it. Understandably, lots of people won't like this business model and will avoid using it as long as possible. What better way to cure that problem than to push those people a new OS for free that no longer runs older versions of their software thereby forcing those folks into the software rental age.

Windows 7 was where I first encountered subscription based models.  Yowee!  They can get expensive, and I don't see any advantage with them over a owned piece of software.  And most of the advantages, if indeed there are any, seem mostly imaginary at worst, or minimal at best.  Windows 8 didn't seem as bad, but then I've learned how to avoid a lot of this new marketing bullshit.

By the way, in the last 45 minutes, I've had three popups announcing my new Windows 10 will start installing in the next 10 minutes.  I've already uninstalled it, and they won't stop bothering me.  I don't have the time right now, but I'm going to study that earlier geek protection that I linked to.  I'm tired of this bullshit. 

Incidentally, Flight Simulator sold it's rights to another outfit that is to release a new version of FS.  Sounds like it too will be either subscription based or modular:  "Oh you want to fly in Florida?  That's an extra $30.  You want Europe?  That will be $65." Sounds like it's going to offer a lot less for a lot more, and it may exclude the Flight Simulator community from making the thousands upon thousands of high quality freeware addons, which is what has made it possible for the community to continually grow over the last 30 years, kept the interest up, and nurtured a loyal following.

SGOS

Part of the link that made me laugh:

Windows 10 is Great, Except for the Parts That Are Terrible

Windows 10 is a great upgrade. Microsoft paid a lot of attention to the feedback they ignored while developing Windows... [Read Article]

Based on the comments in other news reports about this, a lot of fanboys are going to come along claiming that this isn’t a big deal, it’s just business as usual. But downloading an entire operating system?

AllPurposeAtheist

They're copying the pharmaceutical companies lead. Nothing is ever cured anymore, but everything is treatable. Once they cure anyone of a disease the patient no longer needs them..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason Harvestdancer

I turned off automatic updates because I knew that 10 was going to go from offered to pushed.

The larger number of people who kept XP after 7 was available, and then kept XP after support for XP was discontinued, has spurred Microsoft to be more firm about updates.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

stromboli

I've got a laptop I use when traveling that has Windows 8. They didn't sell a version then with Windows 7, and I can tell you 8 ain't much good.

Don't understand how a multibillion dollar company can come up with Windows XP, screw up badly with Vista, semi fix it with Windows 7 and then screw it up again with 8. Planned obsolescence? This isn't smart business. Guess they know that people like me don't have the funds to go with MacBook. Kind of a sucky approach, methinks.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on March 11, 2016, 12:21:41 PM
I turned off automatic updates because I knew that 10 was going to go from offered to pushed.

The larger number of people who kept XP after 7 was available, and then kept XP after support for XP was discontinued, has spurred Microsoft to be more firm about updates.

They will get more firm, when it is advertised that having an old OS, helps terrorism ... and that if you don't upgrade, you are aiding and abetting the enemy (unlike John McCain).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on March 11, 2016, 12:47:33 PM
I've got a laptop I use when traveling that has Windows 8. They didn't sell a version then with Windows 7, and I can tell you 8 ain't much good.

Don't understand how a multibillion dollar company can come up with Windows XP, screw up badly with Vista, semi fix it with Windows 7 and then screw it up again with 8. Planned obsolescence? This isn't smart business. Guess they know that people like me don't have the funds to go with MacBook. Kind of a sucky approach, methinks.
Their screwups are not some sort of devious plot.  Technology changes and they try to make an OS that can accommodate that, but they don't always get it right.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 11, 2016, 01:33:18 PM
Their screwups are not some sort of devious plot.  Technology changes and they try to make an OS that can accommodate that, but they don't always get it right.
And it's not like other platforms are without their faults. Full investment in Apple's ecosystem has you entirely at the mercy of a single company for basically everything, and Linux has an insane learning curve for the uninitiated. Using information technology is an exercise in understanding and circumventing its faults.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

I have been holding off on win 10 and hope to do so for awhile now.  I have Win 7 and it runs all my games just fine.  I had 8.2 for awhile and it was a huge pain.  Ran some games and not others.  So, back to 7 I went.  Because of a couple of computer adventures/misadventures, I had two versions of Excel at one time or another.  Got tired of paying for it, so I looked around and found WPS Spreadsheets.  It was/is free.  There is also a $50 pro version, if you want.  It is a Chinese based co. that has a compatible spreadsheet with Excel--it works great.  I do a bunch of spreadsheets for my vitally important baseball stats (have developed my own super, duper stats) and have been very pleased with the ability to use my old excel sheets with this one.  After 2 yrs of use, I find I love it.  It has all the excel features I need and a couple that excel does not offer.  Once a year they ask me to upgrade, but that's it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 11, 2016, 01:47:38 PM
I have been holding off on win 10 and hope to do so for awhile now.  I have Win 7 and it runs all my games just fine.  I had 8.2 for awhile and it was a huge pain.  Ran some games and not others.  So, back to 7 I went.
Yeah.  Unless you seriously need windows 10 for some reason, I don't recommend upgrading.