News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ayn Rand: How is she still a thing?

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, October 05, 2014, 06:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Oops.  Only on Utube.

But in response to the title of the thread... Because she still has a cult following.  Cults hold a lot of power over their followers.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on October 05, 2014, 06:59:53 AM
Oops.  Only on Utube.

But in response to the title of the thread... Because she still has a cult following.  Cults hold a lot of power over their followers.
You mean the cult of the GOP?

stromboli

I read "Atlas Shrugged" 35 years ago after hearing a tape from some conspiracy nut that the book was the plan for world domination by The Beast. It was a stupid book then, and how anyone could still follow any of Ayn Rand's philosophy is beyond me. And claiming to be a Christian and following her teachings is even stupider.

Solitary

Quote"Atlas Shrugged"
Is a great title for a book. I never read any of her books, but have heard her name mentioned during the Reagan years.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on October 05, 2014, 09:58:20 AM
I read "Atlas Shrugged" 35 years ago after hearing a tape from some conspiracy nut that the book was the plan for world domination by The Beast. It was a stupid book then, and how anyone could still follow any of Ayn Rand's philosophy is beyond me. And claiming to be a Christian and following her teachings is even stupider.
Her economic philosophy, like any ideology, works better when the underlying assumptions about human behavior are correct and everyone plays by the ideology's theoretical rules.  But when large portions of society are determined to get a leg up, it monkey wrenches the plan.  I think her ideas would work well in a theoretical and utopian society, but not so well in an actual society.

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on October 05, 2014, 10:56:53 AM
Is a great title for a book. I never read any of her books, but have heard her name mentioned during the Reagan years.
I actually enjoyed the book.  That was many years ago.  I enjoyed the recent movies too, but the actors acted like robots, so I couldn't identify with anyone.  Some said it was because of the script.  I don't know if that can be blamed on the book, however.  I think the movie was just designed for a niche audience composed of followers of her economic philosophy.  I always considered the book more science fiction in nature, even though I know she had a totally different agenda.

AllPurposeAtheist

Republicans admire her for her good looks.. :lol:

Solitary

You're lucky I wasn't drinking my coffee, or I would have to insult you, even though you do it to yourself.  :razz:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Her self-centered objectivist philosophy really speaks to self-absorbed twats.

AllPurposeAtheist

Ayn Rand is why I take almost nothing serious anymore..

stromboli

If you market it as a plan for satanic domination, it makes sense. Have all the top level economists and corporate heads suddenly pull all their funding from everything that benefits the lesser folks and let the economy collapse, and then.... holy shit. That is what is happening. :eek:

AllPurposeAtheist

Now now.  Everyone knows god never let's the bad guys win.. After all..Ronald Regan and Richard Nixon died.. And went to heaven as every schoolboy is taught..

Jason Harvestdancer

How many of her critics have even read anything she wrote?  Most of her critics have read critical commentary from critics who have read critical commentary from critics etc and so on.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

aitm

I picked it up once long ago, "Atlas Shrugged" figured it was some type of Greco/Roman novel etc..read a couple pages and was hooked...then a pretty girl walked by and just like that I........"fuck that shit, she smells nice................".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust