Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

SGOS

Solo will reappear in the next episode stronger than ever.  Fans will be amazed and wonder how he could come back to life until the next action scene distracts them.  This is what Star Wars fans consider a "thought provoking" film.  After the movie, people will be honking their horns, and everyone will be shouting the event to strangers passing by on the street, and the movie will be totally spoiled 5 minutes after the Midnight Premier.  Then other fans will have to go to the movie to see if Solo really does come back to life, and they will reaffirm the event to skeptics that haven't had a chance to go to the movie because it's only been in the theater for two days. :biggrin:

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on December 17, 2015, 02:58:06 AM
Torn between starting "Citizen Kane" (never seen it before) or some good ol' film noir flicks. Probably gonna go with Kane.
The first time I saw Kane, I thought, "Jeez, this looks like every '40s movie ever made".  And then I remembered that it was the first movie to look like that and I understood what the fuss was about.  It's not often you can point to a single movie that completely redefined the craft, but Citizen Kane did.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Savior2006

Force Awakens was great. 10 out of 10.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

SGOS

The Big Short 9/10

An account of the sub prime mortgage con that lead to the great recession.  It did a fairly good and uniquely entertaining job at explaining the complexities of credit default swaps and the fraudulence of Wall Street in highly entertaining cut scenes, like having a super model doing a better job than the media ever did of explaining what a credit default swap is, while drinking champagne and taking a bubble bath no less.

But they scrunched too much of the book into the time allotted for the movie.  Had I not read the book, I would have been a little confused by who was who, and what was going on at times.  In fact, I was confused part of the time.  And for those not having read the book, I'll guess parts of the movie might seem like something that was just edited in for meaningless filler, when it was actually a major part of the story.

Oddly, I felt sad for an hour or two when I left the theater thinking about how Wall Street and government worked together to transfer such a huge chunk of middle and lower class wealth to the egregiously rich in such a mean spirited way and brought the global economy to it's knees in the process.

Baruch

SGOS ... there are winners and losers ... guess which one you and I are?  So when are they doing a movie when the American people decide they have had enough and overthrow the bankers and their political lackeys?  Not happenin' bro!  Don't want to give the peasants any ideas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

JBCuzISaidSo

Quote from: Baruch on December 25, 2015, 09:52:26 AM
SGOS ... there are winners and losers ... guess which one you and I are?  So when are they doing a movie when the American people decide they have had enough and overthrow the bankers and their political lackeys?  Not happenin' bro!  Don't want to give the peasants any ideas.

Bernie Sanders 2016. That is all.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

JBCuzISaidSo

I seriously have a problem with the lead actress here. Why the fuck did I just watch her in a LEAD role? I guess because the movie itself wouldn't have done worse with someone else. It could have been another Leaving Las Vegas if not for the guessable plot. You knew she shot him after a few minutes? I watched it to the end so I suppose the jokes on me, but I liked her better in Supernatural.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Hydra009

New meme, mild Star Wars spoiler.  Thought I'd share it here instead of the Funny Pictures thread.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

caseagainstfaith

Saw Creed. I really loved it.  As I said in an earlier post, I've never seen any of the Rocky pictures before, though I've seen clips.  The Stalone mumble turned me off.  But, it didn't bother me in this film, it seemed to fit his retired boxer turned trainer/mentor role. There were maybe a couple of scenes that didn't 100% work for me.  I didn't entirely buy his quit his cushy office job to be a boxer plotline.  But, overall, great.  And I was in love with his girlfriend.  Hot damn.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

aitm

Minions.
Like taking a shit when very constipated… a lot of work for a little action and in the end all the work left you somewhat exhausted with nothing to show for the time you put into it. A very very bad shit…er….movie
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Last night I have watched Noah (2014).

It was the first Noah and the second of the sort (Passion of the Christ) I have seen.

It was depressing for nothing overall. Usually, there is a good reason for the depressive atmosphere, all that dead and a plot matching it. Here is nothing ffs. Just an invisible pure pyshcopathic mass murderer who keeps killing men and women and babies. I liked the watchers.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Atheon

About SW: The Force Awakens:

[spoiler]
QuoteI really dislike how Rey (and others) seem awfully skilled at tasks they've never done before.  Fly a space freighter in combat?  No prob!  Fire a blaster?  Piece of cake!  Lightsaber duel a well-trained opponent?  Sure thing!  Blow up the shield generator?
The Force is strong with her. [/spoiler]
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

I have just seen it. I liked it. Made me happy. It was much much better than I expected.

And I want a BB-8. :sad2:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

Quote from: Atheon on December 28, 2015, 08:00:17 AM
About SW: The Force Awakens:

[spoiler]The Force is strong with her. [/spoiler]

Lol. The thing about sci fi is you can project in a lot of different directions without worrying except in the post tense: case in point being devices like Roddenberry's Star Trek communicators- we've practically surpassed their techno capability far ahead of the 25th century timeframe, now they looked dated in retrospect.

One can infer stuff like instant learning methods (Matrix) to account for people being able to do things they otherwise wouldn't know, so one is still projecting. Stuff a plot hole with whatever reason/excuse works for you.

One of my beefs generally with both Star Wars and Star Trek is that by that period of advancement, humans or what we see as human would likely have incorporated themselves into quantum interfacing or other mechano-tech mods (think Borg-lite without the master control) As one who has been reading sci fi since the 50's, I've noticed that sci-fi projections are always lopsided. Star Trek you've got super zoomy transporters and blasters and Dilithium crystal-based warp drive, but still have people in most respects straight out of the 20th century.

Star Wars even more so. We are practically to the point where we can interface with computers physically and be connected into a matrix like simulacrum, but Star Wars runs like a cowboy shoot em' up including ridin' the wild pony (pod racing) and quick draw OK Corral duels.