News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

John Oliver on nuclear weapons

Started by Nonsensei, October 17, 2016, 05:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g

A video on the state of our nuclear arsenal. John Oliver is a comedian, but Its hard to laugh at this. It's too horrifying.

Why don't we take nuclear disarmament seriously anymore?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Baruch

Hillary won't let us have nice things ;-)  The Bilderbergers have decided for nuclear war with Russia.  Enjoy your fallout shelter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I remember practicing duck and cover in my 6th grade classroom.  It was fun.  We would turn our desks on their sides and hide behind them.  Another defensive tactic we practiced was lining up and going out of the classroom into the hall.  Obviously, the most dangerous part of a nuclear attack would be from flying glass from broken windows.  Later I recall the government admitting that it was just bullshit propaganda to keep people from going into a panic.

People don't build fallout shelters anymore (actually, I've never met anyone who had a fallout shelter), and after 70 years of not having a nuclear war, we don't worry about it anymore.  It's that common human reaction to crisis:  "Nothing bad is ever going to happen, but if it does, we will be shocked and blame the government, specifically the other party."

But on an individual level dying in a nuclear war would be no different than dying in a freeway accident, and we don't seem to worry about freeway accidents.  We continue to drive, and even send text messages while doing it.  Killing ourselves?  So what's the problem?

John Oliver is being critical of the government.  Actually, we all are, but the rest of us realize that it's not going to get better.  It's the government for goodness sakes, and why worry about nuclear missiles when we've got transgender men using women's restrooms? 

Blackleaf

Jesus Christ. It sounds like an accidental, self-inflicted nuclear disaster could happen at any moment. How are the people responsible for our most destructive weapons be so lackadaisical in handling them?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

I think John Oliver has already surpassed being a critical comedian. Of course also the team he has behind him. Did you guys watch the episode he did with Snowden? It's fucking genius. That man knows America and American culture better than any smart ass comedian out there. He is an 'educator'.

I don't know how many of you are following his show, but when people look back 20 years from now they are going to see him in a very different light provided he continues in the same quality and principles. Mark my words, this man could get in serious trouble and be a victim of a scandal or a some sort of media campaigns in the future.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 17, 2016, 11:35:52 PM
Jesus Christ. It sounds like an accidental, self-inflicted nuclear disaster could happen at any moment. How are the people responsible for our most destructive weapons be so lackadaisical in handling them?

You mean the scandal among the missile launch crews a few years ago, or the scandal on handling nuclear cruise missiles about 10 years ago?  Don't give matches to ape men.  US politicians are so wise, none of us should have survived the Cold War.  That is why we need another Cold War ... and why public interest in the current Vietnam (Syria) implies that war needs to get hotter, about 1 million degrees hotter.

Sorry, I will take traffic deaths anyway, over nuclear explosions.  I think you were sarcastic.  If not, then since everyone will die eventually, why not just exterminate the human race and get the tension over with?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 18, 2016, 04:09:35 AM
I think John Oliver has already surpassed being a critical comedian. Of course also the team he has behind him. Did you guys watch the episode he did with Snowden? It's fucking genius. That man knows America and American culture better than any smart ass comedian out there. He is an 'educator'.

I don't know how many of you are following his show, but when people look back 20 years from now they are going to see him in a very different light provided he continues in the same quality and principles. Mark my words, this man could get in serious trouble and be a victim of a scandal or a some sort of media campaigns in the future.

I still miss Colbert and Stewart...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!