"You Cannot Serve Both God And Money" - The Pope, LOL

Started by Cassia, November 08, 2020, 11:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Even as a youngster I wondered about how the pope was dressed.  For some silly reason I thought Jesus was about feeding the poor (5,000 fishes and all that) and clothing the poor.  I gathered that Jesus would give the robe off his back, except it was of such poor quality nobody wanted it.  Then, we have the pope.  If he were to auction off what he wore he could raise enough money to feed quite a few for a year.  I don't remember reading any stories about Jesus wearing anything close to what the top hierarchy wear.  Would it not make more sense (I know, using 'sense' with any religion.........what was I thinking--oops, there I go again; using thinking and religion) if the pope wore the most tattered, or at least worn clothing????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on November 10, 2020, 09:15:48 AM

Theodore E. McCarrick in 2004, when he was archbishop of Washington. He is the highest-ranking Roman Catholic official in the United States to be removed for sexual misconduct.

It's hard to take a guy who goes around with a magic staff and dresses like that seriously.  The guy on the left looks silly enough.  Apparently, he's not high ranking enough to wear the really crazy stuff.  That hat needs a chin strap in case of a wind gust, or even if he bowed to the crowd.  Maybe they glue it on his head.

Those guys don't bow to anyone, not even God.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

You failed to note the irony of you saying that ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

bob nelson

As a former catholic(9 years of catholic school) I have wondered why they dress up the priests the way that they do. It makes me think of an old MONTY PYTHON skit with the 2 judges coming into their changing room, and when they take off the robes, they're wearing ladies "undies" underneath. "Had a bitch of a day in court!"

Baruch

Quote from: bob nelson on November 10, 2020, 06:04:18 PM
As a former catholic(9 years of catholic school) I have wondered why they dress up the priests the way that they do. It makes me think of an old MONTY PYTHON skit with the 2 judges coming into their changing room, and when they take off the robes, they're wearing ladies "undies" underneath. "Had a bitch of a day in court!"

History.  They have continued "court official clothes" from the late Roman Empire.  Constantine founded the Church, not Jesus or Paul.  Constantine was the one who made Sunday the one official day of worship, and made all Christian priests into state employees.  Apparently you weren't paying attention to the nuns ;-)  It is funny that the Pope will were a zucchetto ... aka a yarmulka to us Jews.  In both cases it symbolizes a "freedman" aka "former slave" that has been manumitted.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 08, 2020, 04:57:54 PM
Yeah, we're talking about the same books [Da Vinci Code]. I didn't find either particularly edgy, though, personally. I mean it, he seems very respectful about the church and faith in general. At least I remember that being my impression.
I said I needed to read it again, although that was to see if I can find anything foreshadowing of the final disclosure.  I got a used copy in perfect shape from ebay for $2, and started reading it last night.  The chapters are short so I'm not sure which chapter gave the first hint.  It's somewhere in the first 40 pages, just something mentioned in passing in a description of something else.

My ex was a librarian. She used to read at the dinner table.  While I was enthralled by the book, she dryly observed that it WAS a "page turner," but nothing special beyond that.  I've heard similar comments along those lines from others, but I don't see it.  I thought the book was superbly crafted, and I like Dan Brown's writing style.  It just flows, and that's not something all writers can do.  Last night, my attention was captured in the first two pages.  The writing flow thing is probably just some personal quirk of mine.  Bill Bryson writes like that, and I would put James Michener in that group too, even though he hardly ever ends a sentence until half way through a paragraph.

Whether Dan Brown's writing is worth a shit or not, I have never seen a book stir up such a reading phenomenon as The Da Vinci Code.  For 3 months, everywhere I went someone was reading it.  It seemed like people were glued to the Da Vinci Code back then the way people are glued to their smart phones today.

Baruch

The popularity of The DaVinci Code is proof that Satan is among us ;-)

Unless one is into Catholic memes, it won't make much sense.  LeVey Satanism only makes sense as upside down Catholicism, same as The Exorcist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Joel Osteen's Church Received $4.4 Million In PPP Stimulus Payments" ... you can serve both G-d and Mammon, if you are Protestant ;-)  Welfare for a big church while all the small ones are shut down.  Similar to our Covid welfare for commercial concerns.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I read The Davinci Code before it was cool to read it. Good read, but still, just another book out of the thousands I've read over the course of my life.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 17, 2020, 05:21:50 PM
I read The Davinci Code before it was cool to read it. Good read, but still, just another book out of the thousands I've read over the course of my life.

No, the Jews aren't behind everything, the Freemasons and the Jesuit collaborators are ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I've read The Walking Drum about 15 times, it's a wonderful masterpiece!
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 17, 2020, 05:21:50 PM
I'm on my second read, and this time around it doesn't strike me as so extraordinary, but the first time, I could not put the book down, and I was swept up in whatever it was that was sweeping up everyone else.  Maybe it's a story that only works once.  I anticipated the movie more than any other including any of the next Marvel masterpieces and showed up at the theater the day it was released.

I was totally disappointed.  The movie left me flat.  I tried to explain why to myself.  How could such a gripping book be ruined by the movie? The only thing I could come up with was that Ron Howard, the director, took all the bite out of the film.  I think he was trying not to offend the Catholic Church, hoping to make the movie even more popular than the book, but much of the book depends on Church conspiracy.  In fact the whole book was about the Church covering up what may be the most important part of Christianity.  Granted it's a fabricated coverup, but totally believable in light of actual Church history of rewriting reality and it's self serving greed for money and power.

The second read, although not as exciting as the first still stands head and shoulders above the movie.  We all know the pagan roots of the Christian Church, the child abuse, and the trafficking of babies, and Dan Brown touches on those, while Howard leaves them out, but Brown explains them briefly in passing in order to set us up for the most dramatic abuse of all... fabricated as it might be.

But maybe it's a story that can only be told once.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 17, 2020, 10:01:34 PM
I've read The Walking Drum about 15 times, it's a wonderful masterpiece!

Then don't claim you hate the Middle Ages and the Middle East ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Top Ranking Catholic Cardinal Says COVID-19 Used To Advance 'Godless And Murderous Agenda' , Usher In 'Great Reset'" ... Pope Francis is a heretic and anti-Pope ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Another really good read is A Skeleton in God's Closet. I've read it a few times, and will again if I come across it.
God Not Found