Nine killed at church shooting in SC.

Started by Valigarmander, June 18, 2015, 01:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 18, 2015, 10:49:20 AM
I think it is downright thoughtful that Roof's daddy gave him a .45 pistol for his birthday.  Guns don't kill people, people do.
Reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsN0FCXw914
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on June 18, 2015, 10:54:36 AM
Don't be silly, this is god speaking for letting deh gays get married and all.
It is interesting how God did protect his children.  I'm sure most of those who were in that church and were spared injury are thanking God about it.  It's funny how God protects some of his children and not others.  My Gawd is an Awesome Gawd!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Atheon

This is why right-wingerism is bad. It twists people's minds.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Solitary

I'm glad this really upsets me a lot, because it makes me feel human.  :angry: :oak: :sad:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Unbeliever

Of course, he was the proverbial "lone gunman" with help from no one. I wonder if the cops saying that is a tactic to instill false confidence in anyone else who may've been involved?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mike Cl

Quote from: Atheon on June 18, 2015, 11:13:19 PM
NOW can we ban guns?
Not a chance.  I predict that not one law will change in regards to gun ownership or regulation.  The corporate hold is a strangle hold.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Johan

Quote from: Atheon on June 18, 2015, 11:13:19 PM
NOW can we ban guns?
Nope. But even if we did, I doubt it would do what you think it would.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Johan on June 18, 2015, 11:48:51 PM
Nope. But even if we did, I doubt it would do what you think it would.
Personal opinion aside, American hysteria with gun ownership would probably ensure that any attempt to ban or heavily restrict guns would result in enough bloodshed to make these shootings look like a Sunday picnic. The issue is never going to be solved one way or another until the population at large becomes better educated about the responsibilities and consequences of gun ownership.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Atheon

In that case, the murders will continue. How sad that America is no longer the most advanced country in the world. We are weighed down by stupid conservative fuckheads.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Johan

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 19, 2015, 12:54:58 AM
Personal opinion aside, American hysteria with gun ownership would probably ensure that any attempt to ban or heavily restrict guns would result in enough bloodshed to make these shootings look like a Sunday picnic.
I don't believe that. Most people are fundamentally good. And despite what they may say or the act they may put on, most people are fundamentally cowards.

If we did manage to pass some sort of ban/buyback deal, you would hear a metric shit ton of 'from my cold dead hands' talk. But in the end there would be relatively little bloodshed over it. People like to talk a good game, but very few would actually let themselves be killed or sent to prison over it. What would probably  happen is that lots of otherwise law abiding gun owners would hide their guns instead of turning them in and would thereby become criminals by default. IIRC this happened in Australia when they imposed their ban.

And then you'd see a ton of people getting much more politically active than we've ever known. And lots of current politicians would be voted out of office which on the surface sounds like a really desirable side effect until you realize that it would allow almost any whacko to get voted in regardless of qualifications or agenda so long as they vowed to work hard to repeal the gun ban. So careful what you wish for there.   

But as I said in the post above, if you look at the hard stats for Australia, you will see that a gun ban is unlikely to achieve the effect you believe it will. You will often hear the anti-gun crowd mention that gun related homicide dropped significantly in Australia after their gun ban which makes it sound like a win. Woo hoo. But they're always careful to phrase it as 'gun-related' homicide. Because the reality is the actual homicide numbers went up after the ban. Gun-related homicides dropped, but total homicide climbed initially, then dropped back down to more or less pre ban levels where they remained until Australia beefed up police budgets significantly some years later. Its sad to say, but the Australia numbers really do seem to prove out the tired old pro-gun adage, people really do kill people. Getting rid of the guns didn't stop them from killing each other in about the same numbers as before.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Johan on June 19, 2015, 06:37:48 AM
But they're always careful to phrase it as 'gun-related' homicide. Because the reality is the actual homicide numbers went up after the ban. Gun-related homicides dropped, but total homicide climbed initially, then dropped back down to more or less pre ban levels where they remained until Australia beefed up police budgets significantly some years later. Its sad to say, but the Australia numbers really do seem to prove out the tired old pro-gun adage, people really do kill people. Getting rid of the guns didn't stop them from killing each other in about the same numbers as before.

What about accidental gun deaths and injuries?

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 19, 2015, 12:54:58 AM
The issue is never going to be solved one way or another until the population at large becomes better educated about the responsibilities and consequences of gun ownership.

That and Americans stop being so afraid. Americans typically say they own guns to protect themselves from their fellow citizens.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!