Cop: "You're Recording Me? I Will Pull My Gun On You."

Started by Shiranu, March 23, 2016, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 09:00:33 PM
Just watched it again; cop repeatedly smart asses back. Cop escalated situation. Cop admits he has no reason. Guy empties his pocket. Cop continues to carry his pistol out in an intimidating manner until he leaves realizing he has nothing on the guy.

Woooow that proved the cop was a good guy. I'm changing my position, you guys are right the cop is a saint and this guy was an asshole!
I like how you left out and refused to address the second part of my post. It's ok, I'll quote and bold it for you:

QuoteDespite what happened before, whether or not he was justified in his stop, that was a lawful and reasonable order. Not because the cop was automatically in the right, but because the cop has no idea what the man has in his pocket. I'm sorry, but when a cop tells you to take your hand out of your pocket, you fucking take your hand out of your pocket. At that point it's a safety issue for both you and the cop.

I'm not saying that the cop is some fucking saint, nor am I saying his reason for stopping was justified. I did point out reasons it may be justified. It may very well have been a bullshit reason.

Disregarding that, though, the cop only pulled out his weapon after the man refused to take his hand out of his pocket. At that point it became a safety issue. Even after the man "emptied" his pockets it remained a safety issue. You lived in Texas, you should know that there are multiple ways to conceal a pistol. Shit, I've seen men in the tightest of clothes somehow conceal a pistol, and to this day I'm not sure if it isn't actual fucking magic.

I'm not saying the cop was justified escalating the encounter. I'm not saying the cop was justified escalating the encounter I bolded it so you wouldn't ignore that, you're welcome. What I am saying is that once the man refused to take his hand out of his pocket the cop was justified in taking his weapon out. Not because he was initially right, but because there was a probable safety issue at the moment. Notice that at no point did the cop actually point the gun at the man, he simply had it ready.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shiranu

I am going to use aitm's argument here... if you are the one provoking a confrontation like a dumb ass, you don't get to cry foul when things get out of control. That is what the cop did and that is the problem.

QuoteNotice that at no point did the cop actually point the gun at the man, he simply had it ready.

Brandishing a weapon is a threat. The cop didn't pull out the gun to show him the cool features it had, it was a threat that he was willing to put a bullet in him. If the guy initiated the engagement, fine the cop is 100% in the right. But he didn't, and putting any blame on him is giving the officer an excuse for terrible judgment and thinking he could get away with being a smart ass and a bully.

Quote...and to this day I'm not sure if it isn't actual fucking magic.

All arguments aside, I chuckled.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 24, 2016, 09:10:32 PM
To the people continuing to state that filming the officer was "suspicious" behavior:

That's not my argument, but I'll play.

So let's say you're a cop and driving around a neighborhood and suddenly a guy who seems to be hooking his boat to his truck in a yard suddenly stops what he is doing and steps out front and points a camera a you…because……

(yeah,,,sure he has the right..but why?)

Is he trying to steal the boat and gets caught and wants to record his arrest?

Is he a good citizen who suddenly decides that him working on his own boat in his own yard surrounded by his own neighbors seems suspicious to the ordinary cop and he needs to record the event to prove his innocence?

Is recording the driving habits of the officer so he can send it to the local paper?

Wants to record the color of the car so he can buy it himself?

Has raped and murdered a women and has the body in the boat and doesn't want to draw attention to himself so he starts to record the cop?

Hmm, yeah, you're right…as a police officer I would consider it only normal that a guy hooking up his own boat to his own truck would feel the need to record the event of an approaching police car…perfectly sensible.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 08:32:43 PM
10/10, the passive aggressive is real. Would listen to someone who say's "keep it civil" throw insults again.
I just noticed you argue like a person that spends a lot of time on Tumblr. Whether or not you take it as an insult is your prerogative. Still doesn't change the fact that you keep ignoring that the cop got yelled at when he asked the guy to take his hands out of his pocket. If you see this as
Quote"OMG THE COP IS INNOCENT PLZ STOP U HURT HIS FEELINGS :*(."
and not as a means to protect himself. You might need to reevaluate the facts and your position.

How you still are having trouble grasping that the police need to asses situations like this and be ready to defend themselves at all times blows my mind. But go ahead and do your "nannynanny boo boo" talk like in the thing above that I quoted from one of your other posts... because that is real mature and really helps your position... :rolleyes:

Shiranu

Don't really need help to reevaluate it; the city agreed he handled it poorly and was in the wrong, and he was reprimanded and got the transfer where he won't be a risk anymore. What you seem to be incapable of grasping is that how the guy responded is utterly irrelevant; what IS relevant is that it was a situation provoked by the officer and escalated by the officer. The officer was subsequently reprimanded and reassigned, show that the people with more evidence than you or I and who know the law better than you or I agreed with my general premise.

Again, since you seem to know more than the the internal investigation, if you really want to keep arguing that he was justified I'll leave it to you to contact the Rohnert Park PD and inform them they were wrong in saying the cop handled the situation incorrectly and the blame should instead be on the cameraman.

Have fun with that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 08:38:48 PM0:00 - 0:20+: Cop has been circling neighbourhood, slowly pulls infront of the cameraman. So far, the cop is the only one who has engaged in any sort of confrontation between the two parties.
Question: What happened at -12:00 - -0:01 of the video? Also, what was reported to dispatch at -25:00 of the video? And then how was that transmitted over the radio to all units including our officer in question?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Quote from: Johan on March 24, 2016, 09:40:46 PM
Question: What happened at -12:00 - -0:01 of the video?

The cop sulked around the block a few times, hence the reason the guy pulled out his camera.

As I said, it's all irrelevant since the people in power agree with my argument that the cop was also in the wrong. If yall want to keep on having an argument about that, have at it, but take it up with Ronhert Park PD and not me.

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 09:41:39 PM
The cop circled around the block a few times, hence the reason the guy pulled out his camera.
And you know that how?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Quote from: Johan on March 24, 2016, 09:43:56 PM
And you know that how?

Considering the PD likely would of issued a statement in their internal investigation summary saying that was false if it was false, I think it's pretty safe to assume it's true.

If it means that much to you, here is their contact information...

Address: 500 City Center Dr, Rohnert Park, CA 94928
Phone:(707) 584-2600

Nonsensei

Quote from: aitm on March 24, 2016, 09:29:58 PM
That's not my argument, but I'll play.

So let's say you're a cop and driving around a neighborhood and suddenly a guy who seems to be hooking his boat to his truck in a yard suddenly stops what he is doing and steps out front and points a camera a you…because……

(yeah,,,sure he has the right..but why?)

Is he trying to steal the boat and gets caught and wants to record his arrest?

Is he a good citizen who suddenly decides that him working on his own boat in his own yard surrounded by his own neighbors seems suspicious to the ordinary cop and he needs to record the event to prove his innocence?

Is recording the driving habits of the officer so he can send it to the local paper?

Wants to record the color of the car so he can buy it himself?

Has raped and murdered a women and has the body in the boat and doesn't want to draw attention to himself so he starts to record the cop?

Hmm, yeah, you're right…as a police officer I would consider it only normal that a guy hooking up his own boat to his own truck would feel the need to record the event of an approaching police car…perfectly sensible.

I think its important to keep an eye on the legality of things. Its not unlawful for a person to film you out in public. I believe the standards of probable cause need to be higher than that. I could replace every instance of recording the cop in your post with frowning at the cop. How innocuous and legal of an action do we have to substitute in before it starts sounding ridiculous for the cop to even take a second glance at the guy, let alone approach him? Personally I believe we are already there with recording.

THAT SAID

I think theres a fair argument here about the guy refusing to take his hand out of his pocket. I mean, why would you refuse? WHY WOULD YOU REFUSE? Does he have a horrifying hand deformity he doesnt want anyone to see? Does he have a knife? Is he refusing just to get the cop to react on camera?

Personally I think its the latter and isnt that just exactly what happened.

This video is bullshit. There are plenty of other recordings of police being shitbags. Theres no need to pay any attention to this baited situation that was edited more than a 12 year old's weekly vlog.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 09:26:58 PM
I am going to use aitm's argument here... if you are the one provoking a confrontation like a dumb ass, you don't get to cry foul when things get out of control. That is what the cop did and that is the problem.
The initial problem was that the cop pulled out a gun at all. I'm simply saying he was actually justified in doing so.

QuoteBrandishing a weapon is a threat. The cop didn't pull out the gun to show him the cool features it had, it was a threat that he was willing to put a bullet in him. If the guy initiated the engagement, fine the cop is 100% in the right. But he didn't, and putting any blame on him is giving the officer an excuse for terrible judgment and thinking he could get away with being a smart ass and a bully.
Once again, regardless of who started it, the man refused a lawful order to take his hand out of his pocket. The reason for such an order is to ensure safety for both the officer and the man.

Yes, brandishing a weapon is a threat. But, as one has effectively used a broken bottle and a knife to dissuade certain people from harming me, I understand that sometimes a threat is necessary in order to reduce to probability of harm. In this case, the cop was telling the man (who, from his knowledge, may have been armed), to not try to harm him. He also put himself at a strategic advantage against the possibly armed man: by having his weapon out he had a faster response time should the man attempt to pull a weapon of his own.

QuoteAll arguments aside, I chuckled.
Seriously though, skinny jeans and a 1911? Apparently you can conceal it.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

aitm

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 09:41:39 PM

As I said, it's all irrelevant since the people in power agree

well you sure had a hissy fit when" the power that be" gave their rulings on the Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, and Eric Garner cases. Hmm odd that eh? Guess you're now saying that the "powers that be" get it right. Well good for you.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on March 24, 2016, 09:45:47 PM
Considering the PD likely would of issued a statement in their internal investigation summary saying that was false if it was false, I think it's pretty safe to assume it's true.
You think its safe to assume which is the same as saying you don't know.

QuoteIf it means that much to you, here is their contact information...

Address: 500 City Center Dr, Rohnert Park, CA 94928
Phone:(707) 584-2600
You're the one who felt the need to start a thread about it. So I think it means WAY more to you than it ever will to me.

Shiranu

Quote from: aitm on March 24, 2016, 09:48:00 PM
well you sure had a hissy fit when" the power that be" gave their rulings on the Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, and Eric Garner cases. Hmm odd that eh? Guess you're now saying that the "powers that be" get it right. Well good for you.

Um... yes, when people get stuff right they should be praised for it. Believe it or not, I don't blindly "hate" PD's because they are the police and fuck da police. I hate them when they cover their own asses, especially at the cost of innocent people getting murdered.

Shit, I appreciate Hitler (Yay, Godwin!) for some of the infrastructural improvements, promotion of science and environmentalism he promoted in Germany that were ahead of their time. I don't think that just because he is Hitler he cant be recognized for the (very, very, very few) things he got right.

aitm

Quote from: Nonsensei on March 24, 2016, 09:46:00 PM
I could replace every instance of recording the cop in your post with frowning at the cop.

Okay, noted, so you think if you're a police officer driving in a perfectly normal neighborhood and some guy hooking up a boat to a truck suddenly stops what he is doing, steps out to confront you and then frowns at you is normal behavior for a person hooking up their own boat to their own truck in their own neighborhood? I don't know…I admit I am not the sharpest pen, but by god that is mighty strange behavior for an innocent person.