News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

venio, video, vinco. (I come, I see, I conquer)

Started by Ecbarrowes, April 20, 2024, 03:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Ecbarrowes on May 02, 2024, 09:26:18 AMMy definition of "religion" is more enlightened than some.
He who must claim to be enlightened isn't.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Ecbarrowes

Quote from: aitm on April 28, 2024, 09:17:24 AMDead?

Jesus died, suffered for wrongdoers, in the hope that they would repent. I think that trumps the other (albeit very noble, and in the same vein as) dying example of yours.

Ecbarrowes

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 02, 2024, 02:43:11 AMThis is a non-answer, and I will once again require that you define your terms. What is a perfect being? Why does Jesus' opinion of it matter? Assuming you mean the character in the Bible, who  has four distinct and conflicting characterizations across the four gospels, do you have any evidence that he even existed? And if so, which of the four versions?

The variations in the four gospels tend to confirm Jesus's existence rather than conflict it because multiple witnesses always express a bit of conflicting information due to their different perspectives and personalities.

What is a perfect being? A very apropos question. Clearly, if there is a being such as a perfect God, who is far and away better than us in every way, then certainly we do not and cannot fully comprehend his full nature until we attain his degree of perfection. All I can really say is that in my experience and perception, he has "blown my mind" in every metric.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Ecbarrowes on May 07, 2024, 03:24:55 AMThe variations in the four gospels tend to confirm Jesus's existence rather than conflict it because multiple witnesses always express a bit of conflicting information due to their different perspectives and personalities.
Incorrect, and irrelevant to my question. Wildly different accounts of his life are not "a bit of conflicting information" and certainly aren't evidence the man existed. Try again.

Quote from: Ecbarrowes on May 07, 2024, 03:24:55 AMWhat is a perfect being? A very apropos question. Clearly, if there is a being such as a perfect God, who is far and away better than us in every way, then certainly we do not and cannot fully comprehend his full nature until we attain his degree of perfection. All I can really say is that in my experience and perception, he has "blown my mind" in every metric.
It never ceases to amaze me how theists can use so many words to say absolutely nothing. Answer my question properly or begone.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

Quote from: Ecbarrowes on May 07, 2024, 03:11:55 AMJesus died, suffered for wrongdoers, in the hope that they would repent. I think that trumps the other (albeit very noble, and in the same vein as) dying example of yours.

Going from wandering desert bum to a god is not a sacrifice. Hell of an upgrade. Beside, the reality of the absurdity of the whole scenario is it is pure fantasmic bullshit. If that was the best plan an all knowing god could come up with, one is not surprised at the rest of his lengthy failures.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Quote from: Ecbarrowes on May 07, 2024, 03:11:55 AMJesus died, suffered for wrongdoers, in the hope that they would repent. I think that trumps the other (albeit very noble, and in the same vein as) dying example of yours.

You really shouldn't be using the same methods as internet sexual predators.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 07, 2024, 11:14:30 AMYou really shouldn't be using the same methods as internet sexual predators.
...and priests.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

FYI, the Gospels are not eyewitness accounts. Experts agree that the Gospels were written well after Jesus' death by anonymous authors. The names were attached to the books way later. And they were not written independently, either. The authors were well aware of each other's work, with later books directly copying passages from earlier ones verbatim, and sometimes "correcting" each other based on their agenda. They disagree on important details like Jesus' lineage, his home town, how he got there, what his final words were, how many (if any) people saw him after his resurrection, etc.

Additionally, even if we were to grant the assumption that the authors of the Gospels were eyewitnesses, that doesn't help you much anyway. Eyewitness testimonies are among the weakest forms of evidence, because memory is highly unreliable. People can witness a murder up close and get basic information, like the color of the murderer's skin, completely wrong.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

I'm not convinced that Jesus of Nazareth ever existed. There were a lot of guys named Jesus in those days, but I don't think there was a place called Nazareth until the fourth century.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 07, 2024, 07:52:15 PMbut I don't think there was a place called Nazareth until the fourth century.

The town known as Nazareth today has probably been continiously occupied for the at least the last 10,000 years. It was certinally occupied during the late Hellenistic and early Roman periods, but the whole population was probably just a few family groups.

You can read an article here: https://www.timesofisrael.com/listen-what-do-we-know-about-nazareth-in-jesus-time-an-archaeologist-explains/

Or get into some of the nitty gritty here: https://web.archive.org/web/20200526102938/http://www.atiqot.org.il/download.ashx?id=1797
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.