If there is no God. Then someone explain life.

Started by g2perk, August 17, 2016, 01:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 11:59:45 AM
My faith in God is my worship not religion. There is a huge difference but that comes with understanding the scripture.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
synonyms:   faith, belief, worship, creed;

• a particular system of faith and worship.
    plural noun: religions
    "the world's great religions"
  • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
    "consumerism is the new religion"
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

g2perk

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 18, 2016, 11:59:13 AM
Why is this even a problem? Can you explain string theory?
Not sure what that is.

Blackleaf

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 12:12:24 PM
Not sure what that is.

To put it simply, it's the theory that there is not just one universe, but infinite universes. It's much more complicated than that, but that's the simplest way I know to describe it.
--Fulke Greville--

g2perk

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 18, 2016, 12:25:38 PM
To put it simply, it's the theory that there is not just one universe, but infinite universes. It's much more complicated than that, but that's the simplest way I know to describe it.
Ok...Yeah can't disagree with that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 18, 2016, 12:01:08 PM
It's surprising how you guys bang your heads, but I think you would have more success explaining it to a Labrador.

This chew toy never had much flavor.
We're talking to the peanut gallery, for the most part. If someone came in here and said, "There IS a God and I don't have to prove it!" we'd be all over it, because otherwise it's just that one voice, unchallenged.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

pr126

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 18, 2016, 12:25:38 PM

Each with it's own god?  Would be interesting to see which God creates the best universe.

Blackleaf

Quote from: pr126 on August 18, 2016, 12:39:50 PM
Each with it's own god?  Would be interesting to see which God creates the best universe.

It would, but string theory is yet another thing that makes the idea of gods obsolete. If there is a universe for every possibility, then intelligent design is meaningless.
--Fulke Greville--

widdershins

Quote from: g2perk on August 18, 2016, 09:02:33 AM
Look my point is simple people. You bash the bible but yet you still follow its rules. Why, because in your heart you know its the right thing to do. For example. The bible talks about adultery. Ok. Now why is that wrong. Its simple. It will cause some heartache down the line. Especially if both parties are married. Common sense.

There are a lot of rules in the Bible and not even you follow them all.  Ever worked on the Sabbath?  Do you kill all witches you come across?  Would you stone your wife or disobedient if she cheated on you?  Do you eat pork?

Now, if we're talking about the Ten Commandments, most of those aren't actually laws.  The first 5, complete bullshit.  There are no laws addressing any of those things.  There are actually only TWO which are actual criminal offenses.  Don't kill, don't steal.  And contrary to what you would like to believe, even those are not unique to Christianity.  Those basic principles are simply a recipe for survival of the species and therefore show up in every culture in the world, with or without your Bible.

So, the Bible gets exactly TWO out of TEN right, IF you cherry pick JUST the ones you want to follow and this is somehow divine insight?  What about "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"?  I don't know any witch hunters.  Do you?  But I HAVE see witches, at least on TV.  Hell, I've even seen a car driving around with a bumper sticker with the Witch's Creed on it.

As for what I "know in my heart", that is just bullshit people say when their brains are too smart to "know" something, so they have to move the thinking process to an organ incapable of processing thought.

As for the adultery thing, the modern concept of marriage wasn't even a thing back then.  Adultery as defined at the time has nothing to do with adultery as defined now.  Unless you have a concubine or two laying around.

The Bible is a very big book.  Because of this you can look through and find some good things in it.  That doesn't make it inherently "good".  Here's a good quote for you: "Reading is not an end to itself, but a means to an end."  That's pretty damned wise.  The writer is essentially saying that you read to learn.  Here's another wise quote from the same writer: "Anyone can deal with victory. Only the mighty can bear defeat."  Boy, that Adolf Hitler, what a great and wise guy, huh?

Talk enough and even you will eventually say something intelligent.  That's the only way the Bible has any "wisdom" in it.  The thing is you only see the good stuff whereas we see mostly the bad stuff.  Many of us have played on both sides of the fence.  I have been where you are.  You have never been where I am.  How do I know that with any certainty?  Because there is no going back from where I am.  I didn't "choose" to be an atheist.  I simply stopped believing, then looked into it with an open mind and came to the conclusion there are no gods.  You can't un-know something, so lacking evidence or major head trauma, it would be impossible for me to be a Christian again because I know in my BRAIN there are no gods.
This sentence is a lie...

stromboli

QuoteSecular ethics frameworks are not always mutually exclusive from theological values. For example, the Golden Rule or a commitment to non-violence, could be supported by both religious and secular frameworks.

Will you get it this time? The 10 Commandments were stolen borrowed from Babylonian law. The bible comes after that by a few centuries. Morality is based on common human understanding, not biblical principles. Religious laws happen to coincide with secular ones because they make sense. Thou shalt not kill was a moral point long before the 10 Commandments.

g2perk

Quote from: widdershins on August 18, 2016, 01:28:18 PM
There are a lot of rules in the Bible and not even you follow them all.  Ever worked on the Sabbath?  Do you kill all witches you come across?  Would you stone your wife or disobedient if she cheated on you?  Do you eat pork?

Now, if we're talking about the Ten Commandments, most of those aren't actually laws.  The first 5, complete bullshit.  There are no laws addressing any of those things.  There are actually only TWO which are actual criminal offenses.  Don't kill, don't steal.  And contrary to what you would like to believe, even those are not unique to Christianity.  Those basic principles are simply a recipe for survival of the species and therefore show up in every culture in the world, with or without your Bible.

So, the Bible gets exactly TWO out of TEN right, IF you cherry pick JUST the ones you want to follow and this is somehow divine insight?  What about "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"?  I don't know any witch hunters.  Do you?  But I HAVE see witches, at least on TV.  Hell, I've even seen a car driving around with a bumper sticker with the Witch's Creed on it.

As for what I "know in my heart", that is just bullshit people say when their brains are too smart to "know" something, so they have to move the thinking process to an organ incapable of processing thought.

As for the adultery thing, the modern concept of marriage wasn't even a thing back then.  Adultery as defined at the time has nothing to do with adultery as defined now.  Unless you have a concubine or two laying around.

The Bible is a very big book.  Because of this you can look through and find some good things in it.  That doesn't make it inherently "good".  Here's a good quote for you: "Reading is not an end to itself, but a means to an end."  That's pretty damned wise.  The writer is essentially saying that you read to learn.  Here's another wise quote from the same writer: "Anyone can deal with victory. Only the mighty can bear defeat."  Boy, that Adolf Hitler, what a great and wise guy, huh?

Talk enough and even you will eventually say something intelligent.  That's the only way the Bible has any "wisdom" in it.  The thing is you only see the good stuff whereas we see mostly the bad stuff.  Many of us have played on both sides of the fence.  I have been where you are.  You have never been where I am.  How do I know that with any certainty?  Because there is no going back from where I am.  I didn't "choose" to be an atheist.  I simply stopped believing, then looked into it with an open mind and came to the conclusion there are no gods.  You can't un-know something, so lacking evidence or major head trauma, it would be impossible for me to be a Christian again because I know in my BRAIN there are no gods.
Ok. As for as witches your on your own my friend. When people read the bible most come up with their own conclusions. The bible is both for everyone only those who want something much greater than themselves. I guess haven't read any of proverbs right. There is all the wise quotes you can stand and then some. The bible was intended to help those in need. Not by giving you what you as for but by giving a person what the need. Again it may not be for you. As for as the laws go. They are principles for us believers because it shows us the error of our ways. When I say adultery is wrong its because I know what it causes on the back end. Heartache and pain. And it may have been legal then but I promise you this that man with all those wives caught hell.

g2perk

Quote from: stromboli on August 18, 2016, 01:41:42 PM
Will you get it this time? The 10 Commandments were stolen borrowed from Babylonian law. The bible comes after that by a few centuries. Morality is based on common human understanding, not biblical principles. Religious laws happen to coincide with secular ones because they make sense. Thou shalt not kill was a moral point long before the 10 Commandments.
Actually some historian believe that it comes from the Book of the Dead from the Egyptians. So what's your point.

Mr.Obvious

I'm more interested in what just happens to be your point.
It keeps changing with Each reply you get? What's your message exactly?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

doorknob

Quote from: g2perk on August 17, 2016, 04:07:26 PM
Lets start with something simple. Thy shall not kill. If it was not for the bible would it be okay to kill. If not how would you know?

Many cultures that do not know of or believe in god, know that killing is wrong.

doorknob

I love when some one comes here did no research for them selves and then uses the same washed out arguments almost like a parot!

There are answers already to all your arguments. They are nothing we haven't encountered before. Use google do some research then come back.