Is it better to be hated or ignored?

Started by dtq123, March 01, 2015, 02:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

Just want your opinion, since some animes often include a decision to be ignored or hated in the main character.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

stromboli

Quote from: dtq123 on March 01, 2015, 02:05:58 PM
Just want your opinion, since some animes often include a decision to be ignored or hated in the main character.

I'll pick hated, because at least they know you are alive. I've been both, so I have something to compare to.

Solitary

That's an easy one---It's better to be ignored---when people hate you and are radically religious they kill you. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

Depends upon the situation.  In boot camp I was ignored and I loved it.  The hated ones were made to pay.  When I ran a classroom I would rather be hated than ignored.  When hated, the classroom ran smoothly--when ignored, it was chaos.  In general life it is better to be hated--consider the axiom that there is no bad publicity--than ignored.  Hated matters--ignored doesn't .  In our personal lives the opposite of loved is not hated.  The opposite of loved is indifference.  Love and hate are passions--indifference or being ignored is in a state of being invisible--who cares?

But it is still fairly situationial.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

There is a difference between being hated and respected. You sure you are not being too hard on yourself for having disciplined your class. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solitary on March 01, 2015, 03:27:24 PM
There is a difference between being hated and respected. You sure you are not being too hard on yourself for having disciplined your class. Solitary
No, not too hard.  I preferred to be respected, but if it took being hated to have an orderly classroom, then so be it.  They either played by my rules or they took their toys and played with themselves somewhere else.  And since my classroom was in a juvenile hall, it was to their cells.  Actually, in that environment consistency was the key--my rules, no exceptions, all the time.  No waffling, no backing down.  Another key, was not to have too many rules.  And you must back up whatever rules you did have.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Now there's a dilemma.  I don't know which is better or worse.  I think ignored is worse, but it's a tough call for me.

aitm

I prefer ignored because that implies a degree of dis-respect and I like that as I can casually walk by and slice the fuckers throat….er………I mean it would be easier to kill your enemies if they think you can't. When they hate you they concentrate on you, nothing will escape them and attacking them becomes to damn risky. But when they ignore you, when they think you are nothing, that is when you can slide by under the pretense of fear and gut them like an August pig.

Ha. Ha-Ha. HA-HA HA HA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHHA………….er skip that last part
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Ignored.  Then I can just do my thing and the fuck with everyone else.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PickelledEggs

Depends on what you're going for.

For me: hated. If you have people that passionately  hate you for who you are and/or what you do, you're most likely going to also have a bunch of people that passionately support what you do.

Plus. I <3 haters. If someone tells me I can't/shouldn't do something or it's not possible to do something, it makes me that more determined to get it done.

GSOgymrat

I definitely prefer to be ignored, in fact I wouldn't mind being invisible. When you are hated people actively try to oppose you but when you are ignored you can go on about your business. This reminds me of having lunch with friends at a restaurant a couple of days ago. One friend was upset because the waitress was not attentive and our drinks were low. I wasn't upset by this but to stop her complaining I got up, walked behind the counter and filled our drinks. The employees ignored me and I was perfectly happy. If the employees hated me they would have intervened.

AllPurposeAtheist

Haters gonna hate, ignorers gonna ignore..  Ignore this..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Contemporary Protestant

do you think that this maybe influenced by whether someone is an introvert or an extrovert, because i would prefer to be ignored because well being hated sucks

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 01, 2015, 08:50:34 PM
do you think that this maybe influenced by whether someone is an introvert or an extrovert, because i would prefer to be ignored because well being hated sucks

I'm very introverted and for me this question is like "would you prefer to live in a secluded cabin by a lake or a concentration camp?"

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 01, 2015, 08:50:34 PM
Well..We all hate you so we generally ignore you so it's a win/win for you! :biggrin:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.