News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Black Privilege?

Started by pr126, February 23, 2019, 11:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on February 25, 2019, 05:45:29 AM
And don’t you forget it! You racist bigot.

Wakanda is real ....
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on February 25, 2019, 05:34:22 AM
Everything is racist, everything is sexist, everything is homophobic and you have to point is all out.
No, not everything, but right now you and pr are with pretty much everything you have posted in this thread

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on February 25, 2019, 05:34:22 AM
Everything is racist, everything is sexist, everything is homophobic and you have to point is all out.

Funny enough, I don't have too many problems with people saying racist, sexist or homophobic shit in the real world. It's only behind the anonymity of the computer screen that type of rhetoric ever seems to come out, particularly from a certain few posters.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 26, 2019, 01:29:36 AM
Funny enough, I don't have too many problems with people saying racist, sexist or homophobic shit in the real world. It's only behind the anonymity of the computer screen that type of rhetoric ever seems to come out, particularly from a certain few posters.

Isn't that because in your Liberal Gulag ... lack of anonymity results in labor camps?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

It's interesting how much someone can convince themselves of something, when the fucking facts are smacking them in their face.

and it's also funny that they are going to try and turn the above sentence in this exact reply back on those of us that are informing them of the racist remarks

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2019, 01:38:32 AM
Isn't that because in your Liberal Gulag ... lack of anonymity results in labor camps?

Not really. I can only think of two large scale racist and homophobic events in "the real world" that I live in, and neither of them had real consequences.

The first was a string of fliers that proclaimed white supremacy and threatened African American students at my university, as well as several instances of people yelling violent threats at LGBT+ couples walking through the quad, and it took about 8 times of this happening before the president of the university even decided to send out an email saying she thought this was bad. That was the extent of the consequences.

The second was our student body president making racist remarks against Asian Americans, and again... nothing really happened. He was eventually replaced because he took illegal campaign donations from a prominent right-wing organization that has spent good money installing student presidents and senators that share their ideology in major American colleges.

Even for a "liberal" city, we are located deep in the heart of Texas and we are anything but "liberal". It's much more enclaves of progressive ideology rather than a norm, and that includes on the campus which is actually quite conservative and right-wing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

In the history of the world, some people have always been enslaved by others.  But until the 1500's, it was never entirely based on "race" (an entirely false concept based on human adaptations to sun exposure via melanin).  After that, it was.  And there was a sort of a reason.

Sugar!

Spaniards wanted to create sugarcane farms.  The promise of gold in the New World was failing for them.  And they needed riches... Sugar was the new rich source of wealth.  So they needed workers.  Well, they sure weren't going to do the hard labor themselves.  They found the labor source in Africa.  Coastal tribes were already capturing others as slaves and they gladly traded them. 

That they were the next victims is only a slightly just penalty.  No one should be a slave, but if anyone should be, slave-traders should be.

Then the Brits and other Europeans got involved and Africans got  captured everywhere.  Not that anything justified it,  but it was "right by might".  It got totally out of control after that. 

But I think it is worth while to understand that slavery was not new before Africans were discovered, that Africans began the slave trade with Europeans, and that there is and never was any racial basis for the concept of "race" as a basis for anything about physical or cognitive differences by any general division of humankind.

OK?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Do mention that it was the Brits who put a stop to slavery.

Also that it was the Muslims who rounded up the blacks for slavery in Africa.
Muslims also raided European coastal places for white slaves.
Ottoman Empire was also busy enslaving people.

The Janissars were christian boys from Europe converted to Islam and trained for battle.

There are still about 36 million slaves today.

article

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on February 26, 2019, 04:58:53 AM
Do mention that it was the Brits who put a stop to slavery.

Also that it was the Muslims who rounded up the blacks for slavery in Africa.
Muslims also raided European coastal places for white slaves.
Ottoman Empire was also busy enslaving people.

The Janissars were christian boys from Europe converted to Islam and trained for battle.

There are still about 36 million slaves today.

article

The Brits were among those who demanded a stop to slave-trade.  The Islamists were involved in slave-trade, but not the only ones.  Caucasians were also involved in slave trade.  I mentioned that many people have been.

There ARE many people caught in slavery today.  Most are labor slaves.  A small percent are sex slaves.  Neither seems like any good arguement.

"There are still about 36 million slaves today"  I don't know about that in general, but your claim could use a citation...

pr126

Look for the web link article on the bottom of the post.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on February 26, 2019, 05:17:04 AM
Look for the web link article on the bottom of the post.

I can't read that article without paying for it.  And therefore, I won't.

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2019, 05:19:52 AM
I can't read that article without paying for it.  And therefore, I won't.

There are 3 options: the first option is free. That’s how I got in.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on February 26, 2019, 05:32:49 AM
There are 3 options: the first option is free. That’s how I got in.

I am prevented because of my ad blocker.   Just post the content...

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2019, 05:38:23 AM
I am prevented because of my ad blocker.   Just post the content...

Not my poblem.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on February 26, 2019, 05:39:51 AM
Not my poblem.

If you really wanted to make the argument, you would provide the data directly...