News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Roe v wade

Started by Mr.Obvious, May 04, 2022, 02:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Think they are going to pick up the travel expenses (transport, lodging, ...) as well as the cost of losing out on your income during the trip, as well?

Again, poor people.
Like a motherfucker.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: FreethinkingSceptic on May 16, 2022, 11:50:29 PMAs far as the argument here goes. I guess I can see a tangential link between overturning Roe vs. Wade and same-sex marriages.

According to Alito, the right to abortion recognized in Roe must be overturned because it is not valid under the Constitution's 14th Amendment right to due process. Abortion is among a number of fundamental rights that the court over many decades recognized at least in part as what are called "substantive" due process liberties, including contraception in 1965, interracial marriage in 1967 and same-sex marriage in 2015. Though these rights are not explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, they are linked to personal privacy, autonomy, dignity and equality. Conservative critics of the substantive due process principle have said it improperly lets unelected justices make policy choices better left to legislators. The result is states could pass laws banning abortion, contraception, interracial marriage, and same-sex marriage, plus these bans could go in and out of effect depending on which party gets elected. Progressives are in office, I'm married, conservatives are in office, I'm single. I go to California, I'm married, I go to Florida, I'm single.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on May 19, 2022, 10:58:51 PMAnd what happens in Oklahoma won't impact California's laws.

And yes, California is crazy enough to allow extremely late term abortions.

California law is max 26 weeks. What do you consider "extremely late"?

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 20, 2022, 11:36:04 AMCalifornia law is max 26 weeks. What do you consider "extremely late"?

That is current law, because they haven't gotten around to changing it.  If RvW goes, I would not be surprised if they changed it to over 32 weeks.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.

No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Dark Lightning

^ Be sure and notify us all when that happens.