Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 08:13:44 AM
I enjoyed the general plot of the original and the sequel.  After that, the time loop started to make less interesting sense and became more of an action thriller with emphasis on the  action. 
Wow!  I think you nailed that one.

trdsf

Watched Moana and Zootopia with friends over the holidays.  Hadn't seen either one before.  Both were okay.  Guess I probably liked Moana just a little bit better, but ain't neither one of 'em another Fantasia.  Disney has their formula down pat, and they're sticking with it.  Although I did notice that for a change, neither lead character was an orphan.  That's new for WaltCo.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

I watch 'The Incredibles' and 'Battleship' any chance I get on TV.  Don't throw popcorn at me, I just love them both.  Dash cracks me up running on water, and when the alien on the destroyer looks at the turrets aimed at him, unknowing of their purpose, I laugh my ass off.  Really!

BTW. speaking of 'Battleship', did you all note that the aliens are all mechanical engineering and don't know much about explosives?  Their (amazingly interesting) weapons are kinetic energy.  So....  How did they get here?

If there is ever an explanation, I bet it was massive slingshots.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 11:58:15 AM
I watch 'The Incredibles' and 'Battleship' any chance I get on TV.  Don't throw popcorn at me, I just love them both.  Dash cracks me up running on water, and when the alien on the destroyer looks at the turrets aimed at him, unknowing of their purpose, I laugh my ass off.  Really!

BTW. speaking of 'Battleship', did you all note that the aliens are all mechanical engineering and don't know much about explosives?  Their (amazingly interesting) weapons are kinetic energy.  So....  How did they get here?

If there is ever an explanation, I bet it was massive slingshots.  ;)

Haven't seen Battleship, but I too loved The Incredibles.  Oh, that Mid-Century Modern style!  Meanwhile, I think I'll make some time Saturday to go see Despicable Me 3.  I loved the first two, let's see if they can keep it up.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on July 06, 2017, 12:23:39 PM
Haven't seen Battleship, but I too loved The Incredibles.  Oh, that Mid-Century Modern style!  Meanwhile, I think I'll make some time Saturday to go see Despicable Me 3.  I loved the first two, let's see if they can keep it up.

You have GOT to watch Battleship!  I'm almost sorry I mentioned the turrets now, but you will understand when you see it.  It is probably available free on your cable.

Meanwhile, I hate theaters.  Loud disruptive teens are using them as gang rooms here.  I wait for movies to get on cable free.  Right now, I'm waiting patiently for Dr Strange.  I loved it as a comic book and have always wondered how they would show magic spells!

Gawdzilla Sama

Can ... NOT ... watch ... Battleship.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 06, 2017, 12:34:04 PM
Can ... NOT ... watch ... Battleship.

Ah ... Navy anything ... thumbs up!  How about Last Ship?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 12:38:18 PM
You...Must...Watch...Battleship!
You forget, I'm retired Navy and a working naval historian.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on July 06, 2017, 12:31:35 PMMeanwhile, I hate theaters.  Loud disruptive teens are using them as gang rooms here.  I wait for movies to get on cable free.
I love and hate movie theaters.  On one hand, I dislike how expensive it can be ($9 a ticket adds up, especially if you get concessions or go to the 3-D version), annoying people, shitloads of ads before the movie, sitting in what I assume is day-old cola mixed with melted gummy bears, etc.

And maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but lately I've been placing greater importance on the ability to tweak settings (brightness, sound), use closed captions, and briefly rewind because I didn't fully understand something that was going on.  And I swear to god, the usher at this discount movie theater looks at me like I'm on a terrorist watch list or something when he takes my ticket.

The only good things about theaters are that I get to see the movie on opening week when the buzz is still fresh and I'm shut off from distractions.  There's also this weird sort of communal thrill of seeing it with a bunch of other people and watching them react in the same way as me to the same stuff.  The cons definitely outweigh the pros, but when there's a new movie that I absolutely have to see (like Spiderman: Homecoming), I'm willing to go through with it.

Hydra009

And while I'm on the subject of griping about theaters, here's one thing that kinda stuck in my craw.  It shouldn't have bothered me, but it really did.

I watched a movie outdoors.  I was in a field and there was a screen set up and the movie was projected onto the screen.  The projection took up <90% of the screen and it was in one of those ultrawide resolutions, so the top and bottom had these giant black bars.  So now about 70-80% of the screen is actually showing the movie - the rest is just empty space.

So I'm watching a movie outdoors and the experience was roughly equivalent to playing a movie on my phone held at arm's length.  Not ideal.

Also, isn't the whole point of having different resolutions to match the screen?  Assuming they had access to the standard resolution of the film, why not just show that instead?  Do people actually like those black bars?  If I gave someone the option of a movie that fit their screen and one with those black bars, would people choose to go with option #2?  Would they feel good about their choice?

I feel like I've potentially encountered an alien species.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 06, 2017, 03:50:05 PM
I love and hate movie theaters.  On one hand, I dislike how expensive it can be ($9 a ticket adds up, especially if you get concessions or go to the 3-D version), annoying people, shitloads of ads before the movie, sitting in what I assume is day-old cola mixed with melted gummy bears, etc.

And maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but lately I've been placing greater importance on the ability to tweak settings (brightness, sound), use closed captions, and briefly rewind because I didn't fully understand something that was going on.  And I swear to god, the usher at this discount movie theater looks at me like I'm on a terrorist watch list or something when he takes my ticket.

The only good things about theaters are that I get to see the movie on opening week when the buzz is still fresh and I'm shut off from distractions.  There's also this weird sort of communal thrill of seeing it with a bunch of other people and watching them react in the same way as me to the same stuff.  The cons definitely outweigh the pros, but when there's a new movie that I absolutely have to see (like Spiderman: Homecoming), I'm willing to go through with it.
Same here.  I go to the earliest morning or afternoon showing on Tuesday because the ticket is 6.50 and popcorn is half price.  I rarely share the theater with more than 5 other people.  Of course metro areas probably won't be that empty.  For Spiderman, I'll be there tomorrow for the earliest showing.  There might be 20 people in the theater.  I never ever go at night, except when I'm in Chicago visiting family.  Sometimes the seats are actually sold out, although I don't recall people being rude or thoughtless the times I've been there.  However, I have seen that kind of behavior in the past at other theaters.  My whole life revolves around avoiding crowds.  OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but very slight, indeed.  I can deal with people OK.  I just prefer not to.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on July 05, 2017, 04:46:23 AM
Planet of the Apes - Yeah, it was really good.
I enjoyed it less because of the book.  The book ending was so much more powerful than the movie ending.  That sort of ruined it for me.  BTW, the book is quite short and can be read in a day or two and is a sci-fi classic.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

American Anarchist.. It's a biographical documentary of Bill Powell, the author of the Anarchist Cookbook.
He had little to zero in common with the vast majority of people who buy it or read or use it.
Turns out he wrote it at 19 in 1971 and went on to teach children with learning disabilities.
Quite interesting.  It's currently on Netflix.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

trdsf

Three theater nights next week: MST3K Live showing 'Eegah!' with the new crew on Wednesday, then unknown movies with Trace "Dr Forrester" Beaulieu and Frank "TV's Frank" Conniff on Thursday and Friday.  Reports afterwards!