News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

THe tolerant left

Started by pr126, February 02, 2017, 10:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Pickelledegs wrote
QuoteI've personally never understood the Liberals jerking off to islam. It doesn't make sense to me.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

If you want to destroy America and western civilisation, you need all the help you can get.
Islam is just the right ideology for the job.

AllPurposeAtheist

Oddly enough there was a time when very few women would be seen in public without wearing either a scarf or other kind of head covering. Same with men.. Watch just about any old black and white movie from the 1920s through the 50s and even beyond and most people covered their heads.

Notice very few people didn't have their heads covered..
Hell, go to a baseball game..even Trump wore his silly assed hat..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on February 05, 2017, 01:17:38 PM
"Most" (there were a few that wore it for cultural reasons) of the women I have talked to who wear the hijab wear it because they feel it makes men look at them more as people than just for their looks, and they enjoy that added level of professionalism. It's not because they are afraid of being raped or whatever, it's just nice to be taken seriously at work and in public.

Of course, then men just see them for the scarf and not them... so I don't know how solid of argument that really is, but that is the reason they use and I think that perfectly melds with feminism. And I would say of the Muslims I know from work and school, maybe 10% wear any type of head covering... the rest dress in tight-ish jeans, t-shirts and button ups that show off their curves and act like any other girl. Obviously not all Muslims in the United States are like that... but like any immigrant population they are becoming more and more "Americanized" with each generation.
Yes, shir. There are exceptions to every rule. The issue of Muslims wearing hijabs is no different. But the fact remains that they exist and that they are primarily worn because the islamic culture ingrains in their minds that they should for the reasons I already stated. That "Virtue makes you beautiful" music video is a pretty good Christian equivalent of faith making people think women need to be covered up because sexual desire is bad.

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 05, 2017, 01:08:42 PM
In no way am I arguing that they should not have the choice. I understand that, but the belief directly conflicts with their morals. Do you deny that?

I am talking about criticizing their belief. This somehow makes anyone that does, the bad guy. They insist that you turn a blind eye to their actions. Remember Charlie Hedbo? Liberals were coming out of the cracks in the walls to say things like "well don't criticism islam. They asked to be shot up". Are you kidding me?? This is like saying "well don't make fun of neo-nazis and they won't put you in a gas chamber" I call bullshit.
The belief teaches women to make them think they need to cover up because they are to blame for men raping them if they aren't and the men get sexual desire. Doesn't that directly conflict with feminism/basic justice? If a man rapes, it's the man's fault. Not "what was she wearing". Come on, mermaid....

Now, I'm not in any way saying it would be a good thing to ban burkas or hijabs, but it's important to talk about these things and criticize them. Muslims have the right to wear them or not wear them, if they choose. This is good. BUT the fact that they feel compelled to wear them because it's "their fault if they get raped; not the man's" is a belief that directly contradicts what feminists argue that it's not the woman's fault. I agree with feminists/sjws on that. That it's not "what was she wearing". But at the same time, feminists and sjws have some sort of hard-on for this extremely backwards belief.
Nope, not denying it. But I can't tell someone else how to live their life.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on February 05, 2017, 02:35:24 PM
Nope, not denying it. But I can't tell someone else how to live their life.
Ah. Ok, I thought you were in disagreement.

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 05, 2017, 02:42:27 PM
Ah. Ok, I thought you were in disagreement.
I don't think that happens a lot. But is it wrong to make that statement? That it's a left wing value to stay out of everyone's business, and for everyone to stay out of ours?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

It's a far left value to demonize someone for simply criticizing a mindset or belief, more specifically and more frequently when it's Islam. I mentioned Charlie Hedbo a post or so back...
Liberals hated that Charlie Hedbo even put a picture of Muhammad on their cover, something that Islam does not allow. Like I said, they were saying things such as "well you provoked it by putting the picture of Muhammad. Don't do that and you won't get bombed / shot up" that's fucking ridiculous.

How are we supposed to progress as a culture if we have the far right and the far left restricting us from even talking about this stuff. The far left with Islam and "everyone is special, don't citizens themâ,,¢" and "don't say these words,  they are offensive â,,¢" and the far right with their own brand of the same thing with different topics.

Sent from your mom.

PickelledEggs

Again, I'm in no way saying Muslims or anyone can't believe what they believe, or wear what they want to wear, but it's important to also allow criticism of these things. Especially when the criticism is realistic. Like how the belief oppresses women and somehow makes them think they can shoot up a French Publisher's headquarters. But since I brought up Charlie Hedbo and feel like it's a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. It seems now that the far left feel that Muslims are justified that they can shoot up the magazine hq because they made fun of Islam and Muhammad.

Yeah. The publishers totally had it coming to them. They deserved to be murdered by butthurt muslims. *sarcasm*

You can't seriously say that this is acceptable behavior

Mermaid

I guess the distinction is the word "Far". I think it's a mistake to pin the actions of every individual in the press on one wing or the other.

I support Muslims in the same way I support Christians or practitioners of any other religion, I would object to ANY discrimination based on religion. It is wrong and Un-American. Muslims seem to be the hot topic of the day, so people are vocal about it. Criticism is one thing, but outright discrimination is what is happening today. I think Christians are moronic, but I don't want them banned from traveling, blacklisted, or prevented from wearing crosses in public.

What you practice is your business. Don't make me spend my tax dollars on your religion, and don't enact laws that uphold your particular brand of religious scripture, either though.

Shiranu

Quote...but I don't see women working in supermarkets or offices dressed as nuns...

Probably because most women aren't sisters. Same reason you don't see most men wearing cassocks or shaving the centre of their head.

Quote... or having a big silver cross hung around their neck...

Just because that's how your culture is doesn't mean it's so in the rest of the West. Thinking about my coworkers, I can name 4 off the top of my head that wear cross necklaces showing, and pretty much any store you go into you will see the same.

Quote... most places I've worked in tell you to dress professionally and not cover yourself up or in bling.

Do you feel the same way about Sikh men covering their hair at work? There is literally no difference between a woman wearing a hijab (except covering her neck as well) and a Sikh man wearing his dastar to take focus off of his hair and make all men look more equal and uniform because it's expected of him due to his religion and his culture.

QuoteI will always argue the point across, if you want to move to another country, be prepared to adapt into it.

Maybe it's just an American thing, but fuck that. What made and makes our country great is how many cultures coexist here and who, more or less, maintain more of their own culture than assimilating to the dominant culture.

QuoteIf you bring and try to force in your cultures belief into a new country you move to, then expect it to be shot down, because if you can't adapt, keep out.

So wearing what clothing you want is, "forcing your culture belief" on the new country... even though it's a personal choice that you are asking for the right for you to do... with nothing about forcing the "natives" to do as well.

I'm sorry, but again... fuck that. That is, bluntly, stupid af.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

Quote from: Mermaid on February 05, 2017, 03:37:00 PM
I guess the distinction is the word "Far". I think it's a mistake to pin the actions of every individual in the press on one wing or the other.

I support Muslims in the same way I support Christians or practitioners of any other religion, I would object to ANY discrimination based on religion. It is wrong and Un-American. Muslims seem to be the hot topic of the day, so people are vocal about it. Criticism is one thing, but outright discrimination is what is happening today. I think Christians are moronic, but I don't want them banned from traveling, blacklisted, or prevented from wearing crosses in public.

What you practice is your business. Don't make me spend my tax dollars on your religion, and don't enact laws that uphold your particular brand of religious scripture, either though.

Allow me to make a correction: I think Christianity is moronic, not Christians. I know a lot of Christians that I really respect.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on February 05, 2017, 04:02:41 PM
Allow me to make a correction: I think Christianity is moronic, not Christians. I know a lot of Christians that I really respect.
I knew what you meant. No worries.

I feel the same way. And feel the same way towards muslims/islam, jews judaism.

Cavebear

Anything can go too far.  But basic things like providing good education, feeding children, and keeping the environment working haven't gone far enough.  Climate change is allowing insects to attack trees formerly beyond their reach, we are depleting our ocean fish supplies, and pretty soon my daily supply of hummingbird tongues will be threatened!  I'll have to eat CHICKEN!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

AllPurposeAtheist

Right wingers would NEVER employ agent provocateurs to stir up shit the same way they have done for years.
It's not difficult in the least to pay "thugs" to come in and start violence and claim to be part of the protests..but just keep on believing it's the non-violent protesters deciding suddenly to become violent for no other reason than to discredit themselves.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.