News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A passage from The God Delusion.

Started by josephpalazzo, August 11, 2014, 07:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I've wanted to read this book for a while, wonder if its on kindle.

I agree that there might well have been someone called jesus a long time ago, but that is where the whole jesus fact to myth ends. If he did exist, he was a cult figurehead who build a cult up in an effort to steamroll over the then existing religous cults in those regions.
And as people have said, if he did exist, jesus wouldn't have been a white, perfected skinned figure of grace, he'd have been another native to the middle east.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

And yet, Christians keep saying our Founding Fathers were all Christians. If they rewrite history even now, what have they done to the past? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Solitary on August 11, 2014, 10:26:27 AM
And yet, Christians keep saying our Founding Fathers were all Christians. If they rewrite history even now, what have they done to the past? Solitary

Throughout the intevening 2000 years, they have made errors in copying, removed some parts, and made additions along the way. And that's not including different translations that were made at different times, and changing the interpretation to fit with mindset of the day.  If there is an element of historical truth left in the NT, finding it is like finding the proverbial needle in a stack of hay.

stromboli

Does this count as atheist scripture?

josephpalazzo

We would have to wait 2000 years. The downside is we'll all be dead and won't see the rise of ATHEIST SCRIPTURE...

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on August 11, 2014, 08:06:24 AM
I've wanted to read this book for a while, wonder if its on kindle.
It's on Audible. I have it on my iPhone and just listen to it in the car while I'm driving.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mr.Obvious

I don't see myself moving on to kindle. It's better for the environment, cheaper and easier to carry, but I still enjoy holding a real book so much.
I have the God Delusion, you're making me tempted to read it again.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Green Bottle

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 11, 2014, 11:26:15 AM
I don't see myself moving on to kindle. It's better for the environment, cheaper and easier to carry, but I still enjoy holding a real book so much.
Im wi you Mr O, id rather have a real book in my hand, havent read this either but think its about time i did so............soon..
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Munch

I'm all for saving trees too, but i more prefer the ease of seeing a new book, and boom, got it in seconds ^^

PickelledEggs

Yeah. I downloaded the audio book a while back and finished it in a few days. It's very well done.

SGOS

Although Jesus probably existed???  Seems like Dawkins is going out on  a limb here.  He may have existed... or not.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: SGOS on August 11, 2014, 01:30:58 PM
Although Jesus probably existed???  Seems like Dawkins is going out on  a limb here.  He may have existed... or not.
I'm sure Dawkins was just trying to make the point that biblical scholars don't use the bible as the reason for their "Jesus existed" speculation because even they think it's not reliable. Although.... to this day I have no clue what those outside references are or how ambiguous they are.

LoriPinkAngel

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 11, 2014, 11:26:15 AM

I have a Nook.  If I want to hold a real book I check it out from the library.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on August 11, 2014, 01:30:58 PM

I think he really did exist, like how Shoko Ashara, Joseph Smith and Marshall Herff Applewhite did, and he had followers write about his godly powers.