Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on September 07, 2018, 07:31:07 PM
I mean... yeah... but... no.

First off, it just wasn't that great of movie. If you enjoyed it, that's dope and more power to you but... it's possible to enjoy a bad movie, and this was a relatively bad movie.

Secondly, people expect great things from comic book movies because most modern-era comic book movies (since Iron Man I) have been great movies.
I'll grant you that the worst of them were better than "2001", but "great"? Nah. They're fun, mostly, but a hundred years from now they'll be in a special box.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 12:17:01 PM
I'll grant you that the worst of them were better than "2001", but "great"? Nah. They're fun, mostly, but a hundred years from now they'll be in a special box.

I agree no superhero movies will stand the test of time, but they are good for we who liked the comics but stopped buying them when they hit $5 each.  Though I can watch 'Hancock" frequently...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 12:37:59 PM
I agree no superhero movies will stand the test of time, but they are good for we who liked the comics but stopped buying them when they hit $5 each.  Though I can watch 'Hancock" frequently...
I'm fifty years out from reading comics. Makes me less critical of the movies. And I'm not up on any canon, so "The Force Awakens" and "Rogue One" didn't give my hysterics.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 12:41:49 PM
I'm fifty years out from reading comics. Makes me less critical of the movies. And I'm not up on any canon, so "The Force Awakens" and "Rogue One" didn't give my hysterics.

Yeah, 1968 is about when I had the choice of continuing to buy Marvel comics or paying rent and buying food...  LOL!

I even had to look up 'Rogue One'.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 12:46:03 PM
Yeah, 1968 is about when I had the choice of continuing to buy Marvel comics or paying rent and buying food...  LOL!

Hey, they brought back the Grand Mof Tarken just for that movie.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 12:46:03 PM

I found "Analog" and "Fantasy and Science Fiction" in 1963, and the comics just died.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 12:56:03 PM
Hey, they brought back the Grand Mof Tarken just for that movie.

Never saw it.  So should I ask "who" or "what"?

SGOS

Has any superhero movie won an Oscar?  As much as I love superhero movies, for some reason they don't strike me as Oscar material.  But when I think about it, a lot of Oscar movies I don't find that interesting.  I'd go to a superhero movie over an Oscar nominee in a heart beat, but I might eventually see them both.

I'm not sure about them not standing the test of time.  I won't say that any of them will.  But Marvel has breathed new life into science fiction, and into the film industry as well.  Even DC has helped push the thing along.  I have a suspicion that the Marvel craze will fade, if for no other reason that most crazes fade, but then every once in a while a craze grows roots.  I remember when my parent's thought rock and roll was a craze.  It turned out not to be, but instead continued to grow in depth and talent.  Remember Bill Haley and the Comets and Rock Around the Clock?  Rock and roll would have faded if that's all there was to it.

Will Superheroes or some cousin of the genre continue to grow and improve like Rock and Roll?  We don't know yet, but Marvel set the bar what seems like awfully high right out of the gate.  If it grows from that point, if that's even possible, it might surprise us.

Oddly, some people don't like superhero movies, although I doubt that most of those people ever saw one.  It's a whole new thing in film.

Sometimes I'm of the opinion that things come and go, but when I think about it, some things come but don't go.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 12:58:25 PM
Never saw it.  So should I ask "who" or "what"?
Star Wars, Episode 4. "I thought I recognized  your foul stench when I was brought onboard." Leia to Tarken, on the Death Star.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 15, 2018, 01:02:47 PM
Has any superhero movie won an Oscar?  As much as I love superhero movies, for some reason they don't strike me as Oscar material.  But when I think about it, a lot of Oscar movies I don't find that interesting.  I'd go to a superhero movie over an Oscar nominee in a heart beat, but I might eventually see them both.

I'm not sure about them not standing the test of time.  I won't say that any of them will.  But Marvel has breathed new life into science fiction, and into the film industry as well.  Even DC has helped push the thing along.  I have a suspicion that the Marvel craze will fade, if for no other reason that most crazes fade, but then every once in a while a craze grows roots.  I remember when my parent's thought rock and roll was a craze.  It turned out not to be, but instead continued to grow in depth and talent.  Remember Bill Haley and the Comets and Rock Around the Clock?  Rock and roll would have faded if that's all there was to it.

Will Superheroes or some cousin of the genre continue to grow and improve like Rock and Roll?  We don't know yet, but Marvel set the bar what seems like awfully high right out of the gate.  If it grows from that point, if that's even possible, it might surprise us.

Oddly, some people don't like superhero movies, although I doubt that most of those people ever saw one.  It's a whole new thing in film.

Sometimes I'm of the opinion that things come and go, but when I think about it, some things come but don't go.

How can you type something so good so fast?  That would take me 20-30 minutes at least!

There are many highly-rated movies I would never bother to see.  Citizen Kane, African Queen, Casablanca...  I'm just not into movies per se.

My parents went through several styles of music, and never thought rock would last.  I did though, ansd still listen to everything from about 1960 on to 1990.  And electronic too. 

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 01:09:04 PM
"Darkest Hour". Gary Oldman got Best Actor.
Darkest Hour was not a superhero movie, or are you saying Churchill was a political superhero?

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 15, 2018, 02:21:12 PM
Darkest Hour was not a superhero movie, or are you saying Churchill was a political superhero?

OK, yeah about Darkest Hour.  But what about 'Hancock'?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 15, 2018, 02:21:12 PM
I HE is my hero. I only wish I could drink like him.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 03:28:25 PM
I is my hero. I only wish I could drink like him.

You mean Hancock?    Did you notice in a movie that Captain America is like that?  His metabolism is so fast that he can't get drunk if he tried (and he tried).  Hancock was great because he didn't even know who he was and why he had any power.