News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 21, 2021, 02:46:12 AM
The booster did me in. Everything hurts. And I need go out in the afternoon. *MOAN.
Oddly, I had a slightly bigger reaction from the booster than I did the first two shots.  The pain at the injection site was the biggest thing, but there were a couple of other lesser issues that I didn't remember from the first shots.

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 21, 2021, 02:44:35 AM
It's so horrifying, I need to ignore it to save my mental health. I just hope we won't starve. That's not an exaggeration. We are looking down to famine. And religion is lying at the root. Long story short, they are pushing it this way because of religious laws from the book. I'm serious.
Religion is based on faith, dogma, authority, and a rejection of reality.  It's bound to cause problems, sometimes serious problems of a global scale.  People see religion as good.  I see it as evil.  And the deeper the collective glorification of it, the more evil it gets.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on December 21, 2021, 07:58:19 AM
Religion is based on faith, dogma, authority, and a rejection of reality.  It's bound to cause problems, sometimes serious problems of a global scale.  People see religion as good.  I see it as evil.  And the deeper the collective glorification of it, the more evil it gets.
This!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on December 21, 2021, 07:50:49 AM
Oddly, I had a slightly bigger reaction from the booster than I did the first two shots.  The pain at the injection site was the biggest thing, but there were a couple of other lesser issues that I didn't remember from the first shots.

Yeah, this one is worse for me too. But not the injection site with me. Muscles, joints.... 37.7 fevrr. (I'm exactly 36.5 in general.) Can't sleep.  ðŸ¤'🤕 Myeh, I moaned too much. I'm Ok obviously. ðŸ¤"
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

A relative has covid (vaccinated, was about to get the booster shot) so now I won't be able to see a good chunk of the family for Christmas.  :(

Dark Lightning

But you'll get to see them later, as opposed to a remote viewing (if even possible) of a funeral? This whole business stinks. I really would like for people to be less ignorant about medicine (and science, in general). Sorry for your troubles. We're in the same boat, here.

Hydra009

Don't get me wrong, I think quarantining is the smart move, it just sucks that a bunch of them are stuck at home for basically the two most in-demand weeks of the year.  And I will be able to see them again, but damn, this is two Christmases down the drain.  I only have *counts fingers* this many of them left to go.  It's not a "I'll see you next week" sort of thing.  It's more like a "I just got a job at the second Mars colony, I was on the winning side for two out of the last three civil wars, and I'd love to see your new baby and his wife in person" sort of thing.  You feel me?

Hydra009

GSOgymrat

Human behavior is complicated but changing incentives, the carrot and the stick, is a tried and true approach.

Facts Alone Aren’t Going to Win Over the Unvaccinated. This Might.

... Our research question was: Are mothers who themselves had cervical cancer more likely to have their children vaccinated against HPV? We thought that for this group of mothers, a lack of information about the consequences of HPV couldn’t possibly affect their decision to vaccinate their children against the virus. These women had personally suffered from cervical cancer, so, presumably, they would be especially well informed about the harms of this virus and the disease it causes.

What we found surprised us: The girls and boys whose mothers had cervical cancer were no more likely to be vaccinated against HPV compared with children whose mothers had no history of cervical disease. Children whose mothers had a cancer “scare” â€" a biopsy of cervical cells that ended up not being cancerous â€" were only slightly more likely to be vaccinated. But having cervical cancer or a cervical cancer scare did not result in the large increase in vaccination rates that we were expecting. ...

Our past research has also shown that more information often isn’t enough to change behavior. A classic example is doctors who struggle to follow the same medical advice that they give to patients. Despite doctors’ extensive training and access to medical information, as a group, they are barely better than patients at sticking to recommendations for improving their health. This includes vaccinations. Rates of chickenpox vaccination among doctors’ children, for example, are not meaningfully different from the rates among children whose parents are not doctors. While most parents vaccinate their children against chickenpox, you would expect the rates among doctors’ families to be especially high.

What interventions might work? Behavioral science research suggests that one of the best ways to motivate behavior is through incentives, either positive or negative. Incentives work because they do not force people to change their beliefs. A customer might switch cellphone providers not because he believes the new provider is better, but because the new provider is offering a free iPhone to switch (a positive incentive). A teenager might come home before curfew on a Saturday night not because she believes it’s dangerous to be out late, but because she knows her parents will take away her car keys if she stays out past midnight (a negative incentive).

While small positive incentives such as free doughnuts or entries into statewide lottery programs may have motivated some people, those and similar methods don’t seem to motivate people to get vaccinated on a scale large enough to close the vaccination gap.

The incentive that seems to work especially well is the employer vaccine mandate, a negative incentive. “Get vaccinated or get fired” has shown to be an effective message. United Airlines, which mandated the coronavirus vaccination for its employees this past summer, reported in November that 100 percent of their customer-facing employees were vaccinated, and that only about 200 of their 67,000 employees had chosen termination over vaccination. Similar stories have played out among private and public sector employers that enforce mandates, with vaccination rates approaching 100 percent (including at our own hospital).

SGOS

QuoteNYT Friday, December 24, 2021 7:53 AM EST

More than 2,000 Christmas Eve flights were canceled globally, partly due to the surge of coronavirus cases, including among airline workers.

Delta Air Lines said in a statement that it had canceled about 90 flights for Friday after exhausting “all options and resources,” including rerouting and substituting planes and crews to cover scheduled flights.

United Airlines canceled at least 150 flights scheduled to leave dozens of airports on Friday â€" along with 44 more that were supposed to take off on Saturday.
I made reservations for a flight to Chicago two days ago.  They are for mid January.  I never pay for the cancellation insurance, but I did it on a last minute whim this time.  I thought there was a chance that I could cancel, but this is the last straw.  Covid is nowhere near over.  Before I cancel, I'll wait another two weeks to see if this surge is as bad as all the early indications make me think it will be.  But I'm pretty sure I'm staying home.

SGOS

QuoteNYT Today: The U.S. record for daily coronavirus cases has been broken, as two highly contagious variants â€" Delta and Omicron â€" have converged to disrupt holiday travel and gatherings, deplete hospital staffs and plunge the United States into another long winter.
Crap!

Mermaid

Quote from: SGOS on December 24, 2021, 09:39:48 AM
I made reservations for a flight to Chicago two days ago.  They are for mid January.  I never pay for the cancellation insurance, but I did it on a last minute whim this time.  I thought there was a chance that I could cancel, but this is the last straw.  Covid is nowhere near over.  Before I cancel, I'll wait another two weeks to see if this surge is as bad as all the early indications make me think it will be.  But I'm pretty sure I'm staying home.
Right. I have planned work travel in March but I am not gonna go anywhere unless this surge significantly declines by then.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Had to cancel New Year's plans due to skyrocketing cases.  Silver lining: hanging out together instead

Hydra009

Love letters from the poorly educated.

Step #1) refuse a life-saving vaccine for freedom and fox news
Step #2) party hardy without a care in the world
Step #3) oops, got covid somehow
Step #4) horse dewormer?
Step #5) Show up at the hospital already on death's door (libs = owned)
Step #6) When the inevitable happens (and it wasn't inevitable on step #1) blame the hospital staff for not being literal miracle workers.  Bonus points if you spread the plague far and wide and then have the audacity to call doctors in five layers of masks (you couldn't figure out one) murderers

drunkenshoe

My cousin has covid-19. She sounds OK for now. Looks light for now. Swine Flu is also on the rise around here. A close friend's niece is sick with it and so is the family. I have a H1N12009 vaccine, and hopefully that's enough.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp