Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 15, 2020, 07:56:08 PM
We're keeping our numbers down by not requiring a lot of our businesses to report outbreaks.

*galactic brain meme*

Not the government, but I know there have been several cases here where employees who reveal that there are outbreaks at store are being threatened with firing... because god forbid people know that there is an infectious disease at a store they are shopping at. That would hurt the bottom line, and that's what matters.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on June 15, 2020, 12:31:57 PM
I had never thought of that before. If true, what a delightful slight.

I think it is. Long story. I also think Brits would like to think they did. And they did teach us to speak and write in what we call the 'received accent' but we use/used American English in the end. My generation spells in Brit form because it is very difficult to change what you learn as a kid I guess. It stays in the form you learn. It took me years to stop saying can't as kant. Ew. I still slip when chatting with Brits. It's a bad mix. Also, turkish is highly suitable for the received accent. Tough consonant sounds are dominant in the language. You don't swallow anything you say, you can't. American is fun in that dept, more difficult though. I can't say 'wadder' (water) like you do. I have to pay attention to do it. It's tiring. I say 'woter' it is easy. LOL I sometimes spell words altogether incorrectly when trying to lose the previous...esp. with 's' and 'c'. Mess.

After 2000, BBC lost all it's influence to American culture and language institutions. Probably it is British in... let's say India but I'd bet it's American in China, lol.

Language is a weird thing. It's alive and ever changing-growing. We can say there are lots of English languages. People make it their own. We have tons of made up English stuff. LOL French is in every language of course but how did English get spread that far? The Hollywood, television shows, fast food-pop culture and then the net... Where do they make them?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

751 today, though considering my last post, maybe I should take that with a grain of salt.

Dare I hope that this is a legit decline?  The % positive is still 7%, where it has been for the past month, so celebrating may be premature.

We just broke 800 hospitalizations.  New record.  Afaik, we're not in danger of running out anytime soon, but watching those numbers climb is worrying.

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

Per the Texas Tribune...

Local news reports that Texas has roughly 15,000 beds remaining, and given that trajectory and the fact that places are still continuing to open up...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I just wanna know what's going on in Alabama.  Cause if this was a movie, there'd be one of those ominous continuous pillars of energy shooting up into the sky somewhere around there.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/05/graphic-tracking-coronavirus-infections-us/

Alabama looks redder than a Moscow tomater.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 16, 2020, 11:29:19 PM
I just wanna know what's going on in Alabama.  Cause if this was a movie, there'd be one of those ominous continuous pillars of energy shooting up into the sky somewhere around there.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/05/graphic-tracking-coronavirus-infections-us/

I'm going to go out on a limb and wager the good ol' folk of Alabama ain't much for them scientistics and their warnings.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 16, 2020, 11:29:19 PM

From my jail time there (that's what it felt like too often) it seems to be the birth place of the SFA--stupid fucking a-merkin.  And the value their stupidity for they had it for quite some time.  They love their George Wallace's no matter when they live.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Commonly used steroid reduces death rates by 1/3 for Covid patients on ventilators. and 1/5 for patients on oxygen.  Dexamethasone is used by high altitude mountain climbers suffering from HAPE and HACE (Hight Altitude Pulmonary/Cerebral Edema) in emergencies where they are incapacitated.  It often gets them back to the next lower camp where they have a better chance of survival.

I actually got a shot of the stuff once in the ER for a flareup of old man's gout, which is hardly as dramatic as making it off of Mt Everest in storm conditions, but the results were stunning enough that I called the ER the next day to find out what they had given me.  Then I investigated it some more and found out this is what the mountain climbers affectionately refer to as DEX.  Since it seems to repair lung damage, I got to wondering a couple of months ago, about what effect it would have on the Corona Virus.  While it's not a guaranteed cure all (it's not for mountain climbers either), it does increase chances of survival.  I know that another steroid, Prednisone can also fix a severe case of asthma.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/world/europe/dexamethasone-coronavirus-covid.html

Hydra009

Congressman refused to wear a mask, got covid

QuoteRice said that while the virus was "not bad for me," his son suffered from "a high fever and really bad cough."

SGOS

I'm happy his wife and son survived, but how many other people did that asshole infect?

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on June 17, 2020, 06:11:38 PM
I'm happy his wife and son survived, but how many other people did that asshole infect?

He is yet another genius who thinks 6 feet of separation is a 'magic wall' or something, no mask needed. If everyone wore an N-95 mask properly and consistently while out in public this virus would be knocked down in a month.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on June 17, 2020, 07:48:40 PM
He is yet another genius who thinks 6 feet of separation is a 'magic wall' or something, no mask needed. If everyone wore an N-95 mask properly and consistently while out in public this virus would be knocked down in a month.
That is if one can find a n-95.  This country is not capable of making them, apparently.  Seems this country in incapable in most way these days.  Well, in can do stupid better than almost anyone.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 17, 2020, 08:35:31 PM
That is if one can find a n-95.  This country is not capable of making them, apparently.  Seems this country in incapable in most way these days.  Well, in can do stupid better than almost anyone.

Moved everything to China.  Walmart whore ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.