Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 13, 2020, 11:04:59 PM
The US should put walled borders around every state

Only if we can put all the Dems in California, and let all the non-Dems out ;-)

Our states have much more autonomy than N Ireland, Scotland or Wales.  And we have no monarchy.  And our President isn't the bitch of the legislature unlike the PM.  Very strange perhaps to British people ;-)  Originally, until the Civil Rights period under Eisenhower/JFK ... the state national guard was the governor's army ;-)  When will Wales/Scotland/N Ireland get their own army back?  Dr David Starkey is very pro British.  Thinks the US system is a disaster ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on May 13, 2020, 08:03:44 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-52645366

Social distancing impossible on london underground stations as ease to lockdown has people return to work.

I can attest to this, having to cram into tube trains even well before this took place months before on a trip to london.

You could almost say that johnson saying to people to go back to work might have been not well thought out. I mean when you live in the place you work from like he does, it might be a wee bit different to those who need alternative means of transport without a limo or helicopter

Oh my god...London tube. I completely forgot about that. That's not a regular subway. It's a net of narrow, curving tunnels. What social distancing can you create in a wide, grid plan subway, let alone an ancient one like this? Also it will get hot down there and with the current mass psychology right now, even fights would break out in that nonexistent space.

Anyway, fortunately there is an alternative and you guys have excellent train routes.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 13, 2020, 11:24:17 AM
Texas governor want cities to axe standards

The state, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that "churches and places of worship are an essential service" so local authorities can't limit the number of people in there, reopening businesses don't need to provide masks to employees (presumably, not having a mask at all when interacting with the public is fine), and to get rid of shelter-in-place rules.

I can't wait to see Texas's pandemic figures in the coming weeks.

The most annoying things is cities like San Antonio have had this thing in pretty good control, as well as Travis County (Austin-Round Rock) and DFW... I think Houston and El Paso as well, given the massive populations but no major outbreaks. San Antonio in particular though has been handling it amazingly well, though we are seeing increasing cases in region.

It's in the local news nearly every day that the mayor (in the SA sphere of influence) is taking steps to insure the safety of the population, and it's in the news the next that the Governor and Lt. Governor is threatening them with legal action and telling them they don't have the right to take those precautions.

We are trying to keep this in control, we really are, but our Federal politicians have their tongues wedged so far up Trump's ass that our State rights are essentially non-existent. Abbott and Patrick (and our AG, Paxton) do not serve Texas, they serve the cult of the party and the cult of the all-mighty dollar sign. They only care about us as livestock.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Silly me, I was thinking the anti-vaxxers were surprisingly unconcerned about Corona Virus:

QuoteBACK STORY: WILL ANTI-VAXXERS FOIL A VACCINE?

Kevin Roose, the Times’s tech columnist, wrote us a note about the coming information war over a Covid-19 vaccine:

As someone who regularly reports on internet garbage, I’m not shocked by much anymore.

But then “Plandemic” â€" a documentary filled with anti-vaccine misinformation about the coronavirus â€" went viral on social media. It wasn’t just conspiracy theorists and virus contrarians posting it in my Facebook feed. Even some of my educated, generally thoughtful friends had been taken in by the film’s suggestion that the coronavirus pandemic was a hoax engineered by a greedy cabal of global elites in order to profit off a vaccine.

It got me thinking about a pretty morbid question: What if we create a successful Covid-19 vaccine, and a huge chunk of the population refuses to take it?

Many anti-vaccine groups are already sowing doubt and paranoia, months or years before a vaccine even exists. The anti-vaxxers have been preparing for this for years with sophisticated persuasion campaigns on Facebook, YouTube and other platforms. And if public health officials and tech companies let this kind of misinformation go unchallenged, the anti-vaccine propaganda efforts could actually win.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 14, 2020, 03:13:26 AM
Really? LOL

Communist Hollywood monarchy?  They have been referred to culturally as American royalty.

Remember, I don't support democracy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"LA MAYOR BASICALLY SAYS THEY WILL NEVER REOPEN, CA RESIDENTS FREAKING OUT" ... too many lines of cocaine ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Seeing a lot of fear mongering going around about how Corona will never go away according to some who work for the world health organisation.

Thing is, neither has the flu or common cold. They still exist and yet because of vaccines nobody worries anymore
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

The news here said that the US hit 1.5 million cases. Is that accurate? E: I mean, officially diagnosed cases.

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 14, 2020, 11:18:02 AM
The news here said that the US hit 1.5 million cases. Is that accurate?
My readout says 1,390,593 as of today.  That's confirmed cases.  You could probably double that if you include cases that were never tested, but I don't know if anyone has been able to extrapolate that figure accurately, but let it be said that if there was ever a doubt, the US is certainly a global leader.  We may be falling behind in some areas, but no one beats us at spreading pandemics.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 14, 2020, 09:10:52 AM
Seeing a lot of fear mongering going around about how Corona will never go away according to some who work for the world health organisation.

Thing is, neither has the flu or common cold. They still exist and yet because of vaccines nobody worries anymore

But you should worry!  You are in danger unless your chosen political messiah can't micromanage all the microbes!

As I said before, no worry about vaccines for me.  I don't expect to react to any properly tested vaccine.  But if the testing is done to political criteria, then maybe not?

How about the LA mayor wanting a permanent lockdown for LA, so he can build his own dystopia?  Bwaha.  The mayor of London should do the same.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 14, 2020, 11:18:02 AM
The news here said that the US hit 1.5 million cases. Is that accurate? E: I mean, officially diagnosed cases.

The tests show, that the tests are unreliable, particularly if the test kits come from China.  The actual estimates are higher thru proper statistical sampling, not based on people who have presented with symptoms who got tested (a minority of all cases).  For now we just have to hope the tests aren't shit.  The inventor of the antibody test kit himself said, it can't be used to test for Covid, just for generic coronavirus.  So these numbers might be the coronavirus total, larger than the Covid total, but again only with proper statistical sampling.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/forecasting-us.html

In mid April last month, during the peak, the total infection rate was 20% of the US population ... (see flu numbers below)

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/04/us-coronavirus-outbreak-out-control-test-positivity-rate/610132/

Of course that percentage will increase to some herd-immunity level over time.  If the seasonal flu is any indication ...

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/keyfacts.htm

So 5-20% of the population is a carrier/ill from flu each flu season.  There is a new strain every year (hence annual vaccines).  Covid is rapidly mutating.  Any vaccine that existed now, would be obsolete a year from now.  So ... 16-66 million US each year.

Second wave of Spanish flu was caused by troop movements.  I expect that to happen, not because of opening local restaurants, but if we resume mass international jet travel ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 14, 2020, 11:26:46 AM
My readout says 1,390,593 as of today.  That's confirmed cases.  You could probably double that if you include cases that were never tested, but I don't know if anyone has been able to extrapolate that figure accurately, but let it be said that if there was ever a doubt, the US is certainly a global leader.  We may be falling behind in some areas, but no one beats us at spreading pandemics.

We spread wars and arms merchanting even more ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COd0YcpGDpA

If you add up the IQs of everyone in that video, you can almost break 4 digits.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 14, 2020, 02:19:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COd0YcpGDpA

If you add up the IQs of everyone in that video, you can almost break 4 digits.

Meanwhile, 67% of gym members haven't realized their gym is closed.