Remembering 9/11 is Offensive to Muslims

Started by pr126, November 22, 2015, 11:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

College Students Say Remembering 9/11 is Offensive to Muslims

QuoteThe everything-is-offensive brand of campus activism has struck a new low: Students at the University of Minnesota killed a proposed moment of silence for 9/11 victims due to concernsâ€"insulting, childish concernsâ€"that Muslim students would be offended.

Has it truly come to this? Is feelings-protection now such an overriding goal that completely unreasonable fears win out, even if they have no basis in reality? Can we not even have a single moment to recognize legitimate victims of terrorism without worrying that someone will feel marginalized on campus?

Theo Menon, a Minnesota Student Association representative and member of the College Republicans, realized that the university wasn’t doing anything to memorialize 9/11; on Oct. 6, he introduced an MSA proposal to do just that. The very short resolution asked the university to institute a “moment of recognition” during the mornings of all future September 11ths.

The resolution proved weirdly controversial.

At-large MSA representative and Director of Diversity and Inclusion David Algadi voiced severe criticism of the resolution. He also made sure to emphasize 9/11’s status as a national tragedy in his response.

“The passing of this resolution might make a space that is unsafe for students on campus even more unsafe,” said Algadi. “Islamophobia and racism fueled through that are alive and well.”

QuoteCan we take a moment to reflect on how petty, infantilizing, and ultimately self-defeating college students’ goals have become?

How could Muslim students be "offended"?
We are constantly told that Islam has nothing to do with terrorism; and the perpetrators were not Muslims? Hmmm?

SGOS

Not allowing a moment of silence to remember the victims seems like it would offend the living relatives.  Where is the compassion for them?  We are talking about a moment of silence here, not a bloody riot ending in the beheading of some random Muslim student.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: pr126 on November 22, 2015, 11:59:49 PM
How could Muslim students be "offended"?
We are constantly told that Islam has nothing to do with terrorism; and the perpetrators were not Muslims? Hmmm?

They're SJW college students who are idiots, but I repeat myself.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

PickelledEggs

PickelledEggs

Everything is so offensive nowadays. I even caught myself being offended by things I wouldn't normally be offended by for a while. Then I realized. "who cares if you're offended?" If you're offended by something it's striking a chord with something you relate to and maybe you should work on that. Same goes for these people that are getting offended by people remembering 9/11. Those whiny babies can go suck on a pacifier and grow up.

josephpalazzo

These idiots should be drafted, sent to boot camps, and then directly to the ME to fight ISIS. But I'm repeating myself...

Jack89

I wonder what those ultra liberal professors who instigated this crap think of it now.  Are they beaming with pride, or hanging their head in shame?

pr126

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 23, 2015, 08:07:57 AM
They're SJW college students who are idiots, but I repeat myself.
It was a rhetorical question / sarcasm.

Brian37

In what context? I get offended by believers equating atheists to Hitler and Stalin and Po Pot.....But when that atheist murdered the three Muslims in NC over a parking space, you'd never hear me say "he wasn't an atheist". Stalin was an atheist, but that does not mean I being an atheist like him. Po Pot ruled over a majority of Asian religions, and Hitler was his own brand of "occult/Catholic/diest"

There were a handful of Muslim, one a fire fighter who died in the 9/11 attacks. But the hijackers were Muslims. My objection as a liberal, would not be about saying they were Muslims, my objection is xenophobia over humans fleeing war, which anyone would do just because a few violent people causing the problem We have 30,000 gun deaths from both legal and illegal guns on average every year. I think that is a much bigger priority to fix than fearing unarmed refugees wanting to escape death.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Shiranu

The way people act... I thought I was a SJW (because of how much it was thrown at me). I am apparently doing it wrong, because holy shit this be stupid.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

peacewithoutgod

I believe we're past the point where these idiots should be called something other than SJWs, out of fairness to those who actually understand social justice which is worth fighting for. I'm coming to doubt that this generation of shitheads would even care if they knew better.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on November 23, 2015, 04:27:04 PM
The way people act... I thought I was a SJW (because of how much it was thrown at me). I am apparently doing it wrong, because holy shit this be stupid.
Not all SJWs are complete morons. Some know when something it's just too plain stupid to pull the "I'm offended" card

FaithIsFilth

A moment of silence for 9/11? Lame. Not as lame as "safe spaces", but still lame. I would vote no for a moment of silence. Where is the moment of silence for the million plus killed in Iraq and other countries? A police dog that died in the Paris raids got more attention than victims of terrorism in non-Western countries that died around the same time. Muslims matter... just not as much as white people, and dogs. Where is the moment of silence for all those killed by drunk drivers? The moment of silence for all those killed by gun violence at home? A moment of silence for those that died because of Hurricane Katrina and the poor response to the disaster? Or the OKC bombing? These College Republicans don't give a shit about remembering dead people. They will take any chance they can to bring up 9/11 to remind the people how evil those darn Muslims are, and to remind people what the evil Muslims are capable of, and that they should be feared and looked at as a threat.

Is it offensive to the families of those that died on 9/11 to say 9/11 getting so much attention and being shoved down our throats sucks? I don't think so. If I had a family member die on 9/11, would I want people to be constantly talking about their death and how they died? Probably not. Would I want to see the towers falling down all over CNN and Fox non-stop, having to relive my family members death over and over and over again? I doubt it. That would probably make me sicker of all the 9/11 crap than I already am.

Draconic Aiur

because the the conservative right brings it up so goddamn much and are sooo bigoted yeah I could see why people are pissed

FaithIsFilth

Plus, these "College Republicans" are free to remember 9/11 all they want. Let them have their own event to remember 9/11, and they can have their moment of silence there. Problem solved. The university didn't see it as necessary to have a moment of silence annually before, and I don't see any reason for that to change now out of the blue, a decade and a half after the event. If the College Republicans want to do their own event, and the SJWs want to try to get the event cancelled because it's offensive or whatever, then the SJWs can shove it.