News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Mandatory voting

Started by PopeyesPappy, March 19, 2015, 11:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

So Obama has floated the idea of mandatory voting in the US in order to offset the influence of big money. At first glance I think it sounds like a good idea, but would require changes at the polls on the state level in order to accommodate the additional voters. I don’t think people should be required to vote for a candidate though so a none option on the ballots would be necessary.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

trdsf

That's a hard call.  I know Australia has mandatory voting; I'm not sure where else does.  I'd like to think the way to boost voter turnout is to provide better candidates, better education, and mandate public financing with fixed limits and a set amount of advertising set aside by broadcasters as a part of their license to broadcast... but that's Cloudcuckooland, I know.

I think it's a well-intentioned idea, but not necesarily a good idea.  I wouldn't object if it came into force, but I wouldn't go out of my way to advocate its enactment.  If we were closer to full turnout, it might make more sense to take that extra step.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

Belgium has mandatory voting. But it is hard to compare our political systems as we don't have your two-party system. Idunno.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Solitary

I think it is BS! Make politicians take a test of what they know about the Constitution and Bill of rights and their qualifications for office known, also their opinions on science and religion, and those that don't pass can't be in any office. Forcing people to vote doesn't change anything when money determines who runs for office and they have to believe in God. Another example of trying to make this a fascist State and controlling the public by the rich and powerful.  :fU: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PopeyesPappy

How is a requirement to participate in the political process fascist?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

aitm

I like the idea as well, however I also agree a "Neither" should be allowed. I think this would be an important window into our syhshtem......yes I meant to type that.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Atheon

It's an excellent idea, but the Pubes would never allow it. If everyone voted, the GOP would be dead and buried.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on March 19, 2015, 01:36:38 PM
I like the idea as well, however I also agree a "Neither" should be allowed. I think this would be an important window into our syhshtem......yes I meant to type that.....

Thish.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Solitary on March 19, 2015, 01:17:43 PM
I think it is BS! Make politicians take a test of what they know about the Constitution and Bill of rights and their qualifications for office known...

The politicians? How about the voters?

How is forcing citizens to vote when they have no interest or knowledge of politics helpful? How about requiring voters to take a test demonstrating they have the most basic understanding of the candidates and major issues? Take the test as many times as you like until passing.

Solitary

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 19, 2015, 01:25:03 PM
How is a requirement to participate in the political process fascist?
A fascist is a person that is dictatorial or has extreme right-wing views. Forcing people to vote is dictatorial. Solitary

trdsf

Quote from: Atheon on March 19, 2015, 01:38:54 PM
It's an excellent idea, but the Pubes would never allow it. If everyone voted, the GOP would be dead and buried.
Not if they manage to keep purging voters who don't typically vote for them anyway -- if they can keep them from being voters in the first place, it won't matter to them that much.

That's really one of the biggest lies they've so far gotten away with it, that there's some sort of voter fraud crisis.  D'you know how many votes have been cast in the US in the last ten years?  Over half a billion.  Do you know how many legitimate cases of voter fraud have been uncovered in that time?  About a dozen.  'Voter fraud' is nothing more than the 21st century poll tax.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Poison Tree

Rather than making voting a requirement, let's start by making voting day a holiday to make it easier for people who want to vote to get off work to actually vote.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Qchan

If there will be mandatory voting, then there needs to be more voting places for people, because the lines in some places are utterly ridiculous.

Solitary

trdsf

Quote from: Poison Tree on March 19, 2015, 02:16:11 PM
Rather than making voting a requirement, let's start by making voting day a holiday to make it easier for people who want to vote to get off work to actually vote.
I'll agree with that.  Alternately, move it to a Saturday or Sunday -- although for federal elections, that will take a constitutional amendment.

I am just learning now, today, this minute, that Ohio state law has already declared:

Quote5.20 Portion of election day a holiday.

The first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of each year, between the hours of twelve noon, eastern standard time, and five-thirty p.m., eastern standard time, is a legal holiday.

Effective Date: 10-01-1953

NINETEEN FIFTY THREE?  I am fifty fucking years old and never once has anyone ever even HINTED that Election Day is legally a half-day holiday!  Even the government offices I've worked in never once have mentioned that!

Okay, I'm pissed off now.