Oops! Camel Bones Show Big Biblical Inaccuracy

Started by stromboli, February 05, 2014, 05:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/ ... -in-bible/

QuoteArchaeologists from Israel's top university have used radiocarbon dating to pinpoint the arrival of domestic camels in the Middle East -- and they say the science directly contradicts the Bible's version of events.

Camels are mentioned as pack animals in the biblical stories of Abraham, Joseph and Jacob, Old Testament stories that historians peg to between 2000 and 1500 BC. But Erez Ben-Yosef and Lidar Sapir-Hen of Tel Aviv University's Department of Archaeology and Near Eastern Cultures say camels weren't domesticated in Israel until centuries later, more like 900 BC.  

"In addition to challenging the Bible's historicity, this anachronism is direct proof that the text was compiled well after the events it describes," reads a press release announcing the research.

To find the first camel, Sapir-Hen and Ben-Yosef used radiocarbon dating to analyze the oldest known camel bones in the Arabian Peninsula, found at the remains of a copper smelting camp in the Aravah Valley, which runs along the border with Jordan from the Dead Sea to the Red Sea.

The bones were in archaeological layers dating from the last third of the 10th century BC or later — centuries after the patriarchs lived and decades after the Kingdom of David, according to the Bible, the researchers said. The few camel bones found in earlier archaeological layers probably belonged to wild camels, which archaeologists think lived there during the Neolithic period or even earlier.

Notably, all the sites active in the 9th century in the Arava Valley had camel bones, but none of the sites that were active earlier contained them.

"The introduction of the camel to our region was a very important economic and social development," Ben-Yosef said. "By analyzing archaeological evidence from the copper production sites of the Aravah Valley, we were able to estimate the date of this event in terms of decades rather than centuries."

The arrival of domesticated camels promoted trade between Israel and exotic locations unreachable before, according to the researchers. Camels can travel over much longer distances than donkeys and mules, opening up trade routes like the Incense Road that stretched from Africa through Israel to India.

Indicating the bible was written well after the time indicated. Meaning the bible is narrative, not history. Oh, love me some Archaeologists.  =D>

stromboli

Yeah, biblical apologists going to have a problem with this one.

Damarcus

well, as we all know, radiocarbon dating is a myth and not real and those bones were put there by satan anyway, so there is no point in listening to what these "scientists" have to say anyway. If anything, this just proves that the bible is even truer, because there were no camels in the area when it was written, but it predicted that camels would be domesticated there! Thus proving that the Bible is once again the best science book ever, and the only book you'll ever need to read!

I guess I never really thought about it, I always just assumed the bible was written after the events had actually occurred and they took some...liberties with the events that occurred.
Quote from: \"Tony Harrison\""This is an outrage!"

Quote from: \"Plu\"When you can\'t wield logic, everything sounds like an insult.

stromboli

The point being that the bible is touted as history, meaning shit happened at a certain time and in a certain order. If it is historically that inaccurate, it can only be construed as a narrative, which moves it over into the fiction section where it belongs.

Unbeliever

But camel toes have been around for much longer.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

The Bible is absolutely accurate historically.

Except when it's not.

Then it's absolutely accurate historically except for that bit.

And any other bit that has been more than casually examined.

But that's Satan's fault.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "stromboli"No fair playing the "satan" card.  [-X
It's the soul reason I posted.  :twisted:
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: "Unbeliever"But camel toes have been around for much longer.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

mykcob4

Quote from: "stromboli"http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/05/camel-bones-suggest-error-in-bible/

QuoteArchaeologists from Israel's top university have used radiocarbon dating to pinpoint the arrival of domestic camels in the Middle East -- and they say the science directly contradicts the Bible's version of events.

Camels are mentioned as pack animals in the biblical stories of Abraham, Joseph and Jacob, Old Testament stories that historians peg to between 2000 and 1500 BC. But Erez Ben-Yosef and Lidar Sapir-Hen of Tel Aviv University's Department of Archaeology and Near Eastern Cultures say camels weren't domesticated in Israel until centuries later, more like 900 BC.  

"In addition to challenging the Bible's historicity, this anachronism is direct proof that the text was compiled well after the events it describes," reads a press release announcing the research.

To find the first camel, Sapir-Hen and Ben-Yosef used radiocarbon dating to analyze the oldest known camel bones in the Arabian Peninsula, found at the remains of a copper smelting camp in the Aravah Valley, which runs along the border with Jordan from the Dead Sea to the Red Sea.

The bones were in archaeological layers dating from the last third of the 10th century BC or later — centuries after the patriarchs lived and decades after the Kingdom of David, according to the Bible, the researchers said. The few camel bones found in earlier archaeological layers probably belonged to wild camels, which archaeologists think lived there during the Neolithic period or even earlier.

Notably, all the sites active in the 9th century in the Arava Valley had camel bones, but none of the sites that were active earlier contained them.

"The introduction of the camel to our region was a very important economic and social development," Ben-Yosef said. "By analyzing archaeological evidence from the copper production sites of the Aravah Valley, we were able to estimate the date of this event in terms of decades rather than centuries."

The arrival of domesticated camels promoted trade between Israel and exotic locations unreachable before, according to the researchers. Camels can travel over much longer distances than donkeys and mules, opening up trade routes like the Incense Road that stretched from Africa through Israel to India.

Indicating the bible was written well after the time indicated. Meaning the bible is narrative, not history. Oh, love me some Archaeologists.  =D>
I can't believe this. the bible wouldn't lie to me would it.

AllPurposeAtheist

Wanna bet they would say it's just Jewish hooey to undermine the True Word of God[sup:2wlu48v2]TM[/sup:2wlu48v2]? Nahhh... [-(
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

The inconsistencies, AP; the inconsistencies. They add up. I post these on here because of that whole "preponderance of evidence" thing. The more inconsistent we show their beliefs to be, the more holes we punch in their balloon.

AllPurposeAtheist

Now now..The ONLY evidence needed is the True Word[sup:2g0sn7tn]tm[/sup:2g0sn7tn].. [-X
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

josephpalazzo

Hah, those fucking archeologists!?! Did they dig everywhere in that humongus desert? Don't think so, so there!!!!@!!!!

John_Camp

Very Old news and completely refuted.  Click on the link to download a scholarly paper (complete with photos of artifacts) pertaining to the domestication of camels in the ANE http://tinyurl.com/p5uuzo8