Merged Topic - Historical Reliability of the Gospels

Started by Randy Carson, November 27, 2015, 11:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleNipper

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 09, 2016, 02:54:53 PM
Exactly.  And what most christians don't realize (or want to realize) is that with the invention of the printing press, the bible in all of it's forms was seen as a cash cow.  There was very little concern about the accuracy of the copies, just that they were printed and sold.

If Benjamin Franklin had his way, Hebrew would have become the national language.   

josephpalazzo

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 11, 2016, 05:33:32 PM
If Benjamin Franklin had his way, Hebrew would have become the national language.   

And where does that come from? Another of your crackpot theory?

Baruch

People believe total propaganda about the supermen who built the US, while flying around in spandex.  The reality is much less than it seems.  It would have been better for the US, if the US had adopted the turkey (as Benjamin Franklin suggested) rather than the bald eagle.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 11, 2016, 05:33:32 PM
What does this statement have to do with anything I've said?  I take you at your word--you are here because you have been directed to be here--by whom or what you have not mentioned.  Most likely it is a fiction that you have invented or liked ---most likely the holy rolly spirit or some such shit--and simply do drive-by's, addressing nothing, just leaving your stupid, vapid, fictional crap all over this board. 

I had hoped to have a little discussion about topics you like.  But I think discussion is beyond your limited capacity.  I'm not saying you are exactly stupid.  But your ideas are.  And you are simply a mouth piece vomiting back what you have been spoon fed.  To bad--but very christian.  Why don't you save your finger energy(it's clear you are not using any mental energy) and post on a different board?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

LittleNipper, if you're going to just ignore our arguments, you may as well quit. We're not going to be swayed by your blind faith. We care about evidence and logic. So far, you've produced none of either, and ignored or dismissed all the evidence presented to you. You don't have to change your mind, but we do ask that you at least try to present intelligent arguments.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

LittleNipper

Quote from: Baruch on March 11, 2016, 06:47:32 PM
People believe total propaganda about the supermen who built the US, while flying around in spandex.  The reality is much less than it seems.  It would have been better for the US, if the US had adopted the turkey (as Benjamin Franklin suggested) rather than the bald eagle.

Well, they did. We usually eat turkey on the Lord's Thanksgiving Celebration Day. I know of no one eating eagle.

LittleNipper

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 11, 2016, 06:54:20 PM
What does this statement have to do with anything I've said?  I take you at your word--you are here because you have been directed to be here--by whom or what you have not mentioned.  Most likely it is a fiction that you have invented or liked ---most likely the holy rolly spirit or some such shit--and simply do drive-by's, addressing nothing, just leaving your stupid, vapid, fictional crap all over this board. 

I had hoped to have a little discussion about topics you like.  But I think discussion is beyond your limited capacity.  I'm not saying you are exactly stupid.  But your ideas are.  And you are simply a mouth piece vomiting back what you have been spoon fed.  To bad--but very christian.  Why don't you save your finger energy(it's clear you are not using any mental energy) and post on a different board?

And I suppose you believe the Universe began as a lot of nothing that was tightly packed together and exploded forming the entire Universe billions and billions and billions of years ago. And at some point earth came to be and life began from some primordial slime struck by lightening. And this has been not been spoon fed to you because you figured this all out yourself! You have all the proof filed right inside your little noggin. How scientific of you --- and you imagine that you are not religious..... Everybody believes something.

Hydra009

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 11, 2016, 07:37:52 PMAnd I suppose you believe the Universe began as a lot of nothing that was tightly packed together singularity and exploded expanded forming the entire Universe billions and billions and billions of roughly 13.8 billion years ago. And at some point earth came to be and life began from some primordial slime struck by lightening non-life through abiogenesis.
FIFY and yes, that's what I actually believe.  And that's based on what experts have found out so far about the universe.  We know that galaxies are moving away from each other.  We know about background cosmic radiation.  And we know that all life on Earth consisted only of single-celled organisms at one point.  What we're left with are some pretty inescapable conclusions.  The fact that they may not jive with your religious beliefs is irrelevant to me.

QuoteAnd this has been not been spoon fed to you because you figured this all out yourself!  And like everyone who receives a basic education, I've been You have all the proof filed right inside your little noggin. How scientific of you --- and you imagine that you are not religious..... Everybody believes something.
I received a basic education which communicated the prevailing models of the history life on Earth and the history of the universe.  I consider myself fortunate to be able to rely on expert knowledge on such things and not to have to resort to some illiterate bronze age herdsman's fanciful tale about what the early universe was like.

LittleNipper

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 11, 2016, 07:59:01 PM
FIFTY and yes, that's what I actually believe.  And that's based on what experts have found out so far about the universe.  We know that galaxies are moving away from each other.  We know about background cosmic radiation.  And we know that all life on Earth consisted only of single-celled organisms at one point.  What we're left with are some pretty inescapable conclusions.  The fact that they may not give with your religious beliefs is irrelevant to me.
I received a basic education which communicated the prevailing models of the history life on Earth and the history of the universe.  I consider myself fortunate to be able to rely on expert knowledge on such things and not to have to resort to some illiterate bronze age herdsman's fanciful tale about what the early universe was like.

And I believe what the Creator reveals in His inerrant Word. I am happy to say that I'll experience an eternity with God were your story will be irrelevant.

Baruch

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 11, 2016, 08:07:08 PM
And I believe what the Creator reveals in His inerrant Word. I am happy to say that I'll experience an eternity with God were your story will be irrelevant.

Don't be so certain, that would be immodest ... on "word" ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujVMIYzYXg
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

When did you last hear the Creator's word then? Last week? Thursday three years ago? When was the last time the cloud's parted and this fellow

looked down upon you to speak his word to you?

Quote from: LittleNipper on March 11, 2016, 08:31:38 PM
John 3:16
But that's John's word, not Yahuwahu's.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Hydra009

So...basically this is who I'm communicating with:

*snaps fingers in hope of a reaction*
Nope, just a vacant stare.

stromboli

The Hebrew Bible was used by the Puritans in response to the Church of England's punitive ways. Hebrew was influential early on, such that William and Mary and other early universities even gave speeches in it.

Quote"At the time of the American Revolution, the interest in the knowledge of Hebrew was so widespread as to allow the circulation of the story that 'certain members of Congress proposed that the use of English be formally prohibited in the United States, and Hebrew substituted for it.'"

As far as Franklin or anyone else wanting Hebrew as a language, it was meant in terms of the use of the Hebrew Bible. As to whether Franklin proposed it as a language is another story. In any case it was done in opposition to England as much as any other reason
http://www.aish.com/jl/h/cc/48955806.html

Couple of things: the Jews as a whole have never accepted Christ as their savior. This is the 21st century, not the 16th. Early political and cultural divisions in U. S. history are incidental to anything to do with the truth of Christianity or anything in terms of evidence.

The argument that Christianity is a fabrication is backed by a litany of historical data that contradicts claims by Christian apologists. All of the main events of the bible are fable, allegory or outright fiction.

The Garden of Eden and Noah's Ark come from Babylonian myth. Exodus never happened and Jesus Christ was not mentioned in any account of that day that would pertain to Israel. Carry on.