Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Sully, great story, but not meant for film. Maybe a documentary, rather.
Good acting all around, believable, but that does not a good view make.

5.5/10
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 06, 2019, 11:22:18 AM
Sully, great story, but not meant for film. Maybe a documentary, rather.
Good acting all around, believable, but that does not a good view make.

5.5/10
Good double feature with "Deepwater Horizon".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

https://youtu.be/xU1ffHa47YY

This review of the Disney remakes goes into another aspect of the shallow nature of the films. Attempting to "fix" the original films to show how much they've matured since then. They're not a big corporation trying to get all your money. They get you.

Also, Jasmine becomes the Sultan in the remake of Aladdin? WTF?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Ironically, what I find problematic about the original Aladdin is how they portrayed a foreign culture as "barbaric." Even the princess, who grew up in that culture and knew nothing else refused to participate in her own norms. It just seems convenient for an American company to present another culture as inferior to theirs. Of course, I can overlook this because the movie is good enough quality to make up for it. Plus, it is a product of the times. But then here comes the remake, and they double down on the theme of "individualism = good, collectivism = bad" by ending it with a female sultan. Down with the patriarchy, or something.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Gonna go see the 1986 flop, "No Retreat, No Surrender" tonight.  But it's okay, Joel and the 'Bots will be there to soften the blow.  Yay for MST3K Live on Tour!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

trdsf

The movie was fucking awful.  The riffing was absolutely top notch -- Joel and company absolutely hit it out of the park.  If you're a MSTie, and it's coming anywhere near you, go.  Especially since this is Joel's final tour, at least in the theater seat... although it was strongly hinted this is not the last tour for the show.  There may be a new host coming...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 06, 2019, 06:09:03 PM

Curiously enough, this scene was cut... but then, it pretty much riffs itself.

Hydra009

*blind seething rage*
I'm typing this because angrish has temporarily robbed me of the ability to speak.

drunkenshoe

Guardians of the Galaxy. I loved it. I want Rocket and Groot and Quill's gear and the ship. As soon as possible please.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 07, 2019, 03:42:38 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy. I loved it. I want Rocket and Groot and Quill's gear and the ship. As soon as possible please.

Drax may only be in one more movie. He's pushing 50 and staying in that shape is getting very hard.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 07, 2019, 12:25:31 PM

*blind seething rage*
I'm typing this because angrish has temporarily robbed me of the ability to speak.

You starting to see now the impact the social justice mindset has on people? It creates the same mental blocks for rationality that religion creates
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 07, 2019, 03:42:38 PM

Did Groot have gear? Can't remember him using any.

Munch

the irony that the very context of what this movie is saying is just further highlighted by these moronic articles being published. This movie exists today because of people like this.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on October 07, 2019, 05:27:34 PM
Did Groot have gear? Can't remember him using any.

LOL, I meant I want Quill's gear and Groot and Rocket, themselves.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp