Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Ex Machina: Holy fuck.

Sci-fi thriller, dealing with the topic of A.I. and all the philosophical and ethical questions that arise from that. Art house style, so a bit slower paced for alot of people's liking and doesn't play to the lowest common denominator.... but stays followable and intended to make you think. Basically only three characters on the screen for the entire run-time, and just their interactions with each other... but it is amazing.

Seriously, this movie is fucking great.

Here is someone who takes their reviews more seriously...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Yeah, I thought Machina was pretty great too, even considering nothing blows up.  For some reason, I thought it would be more complicated, but it's a simple, although chilling, premise.

SGOS

Oh, no!  Not more of this shit:

Starts Friday
90 Minutes in Heaven

Don Piper died on January 18, 1989, when a truck crushed his car. Declared dead by the first rescue workers, Don’s body lay under a car. Yet, when a pastor’s prayers helps bring Don back to life, he becomes a living miracle.

SGOS

A Walk in the Woods  2/10

The movie mostly misses the fun and intensity of the book, which is filled with interesting detail, description, humor.  The actors seem wooden, rather than human.  And there's too much interesting stuff left out.  I usually like Redford, and Nolte is usually OK for me, but I end up not liking the characters here.  It's not like I dislike them.  I just don't enjoy them much.  The writer, Bill Bryson has a very active mind, constantly interjecting observations and items of interest.  Redford was unable to capture that personality.  He ends up just being a guy doing things.  He's got a couple good lines, but not much personality comes through.

Munch

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 8/10

Beautifully animated Japanese storytelling, from legendary studio ghibli. The movie has an art style like watercolor paintings, with fleshed out characters, all presented in a fairytale like way. Its in japanese no english, but that doesn't take anything away from it, a deep story of myth and one worth watching at least once.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Green Bottle

The Scorpion King 3- Battle for Redemption.

Shit acting
Shit storyline
shit battle sequences
all in all a shit movie...

0/10, an thats me being generous.......... :shifty:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Shiranu

The mask of Zorro...

8.9/10, it's kinda funny, has that old school swashbucklingness to it and stars Antonio Bandera and Anthony Hopkins.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sal1981

The Age of Adaline. 7/10

An OK romantic drama. Nothing particularly spectacular. Just a basic plot about a woman who stops aging after a car accident until she's 107 when she resumes aging normally, and the hurdles she has to overcome.

trdsf

Ora, a 15 minute short from the National Film Board of Canada.  Interesting more for its technical achievement than anything else -- shot entirely in HD infrared with the only lighting source being the dancers' own body heat.  I'm not much on dance (modern or ballet), but this was fascinating simply for the technological accomplishment.  It had to be shot in Vermont because the camera technology is not approved for export, even to Canada.  The dancers had to perform in the dark, in a cold room, in two minute bursts because the camera's memory filled up that quickly.  Even the cameras had to be cooled to prevent them from recording their own heat signatures.

It's no Fantasia, but it's still remarkable to watch.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

Quote from: trdsf on September 27, 2015, 10:32:23 PM
Ora, a 15 minute short from the National Film Board of Canada.  Interesting more for its technical achievement than anything else -- shot entirely in HD infrared with the only lighting source being the dancers' own body heat.  I'm not much on dance (modern or ballet), but this was fascinating simply for the technological accomplishment.  It had to be shot in Vermont because the camera technology is not approved for export, even to Canada.  The dancers had to perform in the dark, in a cold room, in two minute bursts because the camera's memory filled up that quickly.  Even the cameras had to be cooled to prevent them from recording their own heat signatures.

It's no Fantasia, but it's still remarkable to watch.

Trying to find somewhere to watch it more affordable, sounds really interesting. I might just have to settle for a few clips though :\.

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on September 27, 2015, 10:43:20 PM
Trying to find somewhere to watch it more affordable, sounds really interesting. I might just have to settle for a few clips though :\.
It's free to watch online at the NFB website; the name of the film in my original post links to the page.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

Quote from: trdsf on September 27, 2015, 10:48:48 PM
It's free to watch online at the NFB website; the name of the film in my original post links to the page.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. It wasn't supported by my browser, so I thought you had to buy and download it. Time to give it a go!

caseagainstfaith

The Martian

Very good.  Basically a space mission gone wrong and the protagonist has to figure out how to survive.  There are obvious comparisons to _Apollo 13_ and to _Gravity_.  Though I would say this is not quite as good as either. A bit slower, not as taught.  But, should generally appeal to viewers who like their science fiction with plausible science.

I saw it in 3D.  The 3D is not as compelling here as in Gravity.  I think it would be fine to see it in 2D.  Though there are  some scenes that evoke Gravity.  So, up to you if you want the 3D or not.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Hydra009

Mad Max Fury Road - 9/10

Absolutely amazing action and stunts combined with a really appealing visual style.  It's pretty much Awesome Chase Scene: The Movie.  Also, it has Grunchlk and Granny from Farscape in it.  :P

A few things sort of rubbed me the wrong way, but didn't hurt it enough to really take away from the experience.  The titular character doesn't really get a whole lot to do.  He's pretty much just a bystander for the first half of the movie.  The film is definitely centered around Furiosa.  You could probably write Max out of the movie and it wouldn't be all that different.

That and the surprisingly frequent embarking/disembarking from the tanker truck.  One guy basically ran behind it and caught up to it, probably not the best pace when you're trying to outrun a motor convoy.

Also, the tremendous water wastage (both by the tyrannical warlord and the runaway girls) really peeved me.  I wouldn't even waste water like that and I live in a state that's flooding right now.  These people are living in some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland where potable water is such a tremendously rare commodity that if you own an aquifer, you can rule your own little kingdom.  It's liquid power.  You don't just spill that stuff on the ground if you can help it.

Additionally, my roommate really took an analytical bent to it.  Like what practical purpose does flamethrower guitar guy serve to the warband - why is he even there except for us, the audience?  What exactly motivates the Bullet Farmer and the People Eater - what's in the chase for them?  How does the Citadel sustain itself in terms of food and fuel and munitions and vehicle parts?  That question is partially answered by surrounding towns with specializations as fuel and munitions producers.  But how do those places have the resources and infrastructure and know-how to produce it?  He really wanted to know exactly how this society ticks and they didn't really go in much detail in the film though there's probably some book or wiki or something that does.

caseagainstfaith

I didn't care too much for Mad Max Fury Road.  I just found it too silly.  Yes, good stunts, I agree.  But, flame throwing guitar guy was ridiculous.  And then there was the bad guy that looked like he got wardrobe advice from Slipknot.  And of course it was just too convenient for the male audience that Mad Max happens to come across the bad guy's harem.  And we don't even get to see their tits or anything.,
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.