Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Savior2006 on May 28, 2015, 03:01:48 PM
Blade Runner was good, but I certainly didn't like it as much as dad did. It's noir more than it is sci-fi, to me at least. The romance between Ford and the female lead wasn't convincing and seemed to be there because "well that's what happens in noirs." I can't help but feel that the replicants deserved MUCH more characterization than the Blade Runner hunting them. Shoot, even the briefly touched upon romance between Mr. Howling with Wolves and Ms. "I've disarmed you, but I'm going to run to the end of the hall and cartwheel toward you like a retard" seemed more convincing.
6 out of 10. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I should have.

I'm reading the book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, right now.  At about half way through, it is not at all like the movie.  At best, if Blade Runner were a series, "Androids Dream" would be a separate episode.  The book provides nothing more than a rough premise (so far).  It's like someone said to a movie producer, "Why don't you make a movie about a guy that hunts down rogue androids, and ends up falling in love with one of them?"  So the movie producer hires someone to write a story about that scenario.  Philip Dick, the author of "Androids" should not be legally entitled to any of the movie rights IMO.  The idea is there, but it's a different story.

In the 80's, I never heard any hype about Blade Runner.  Never even heard of the movie until I accidently caught it on HBO or something.  It was a sleeper as far as I knew.  I was telling my sister about it, and she nodded knowingly and pointed out that around Chicago, there were formal discussion groups people could attend to talk about it.  Wow!  That big, huh?

I agree with most of your criticisms about the movie, except for it being more noir than science fiction, and I could add some criticisms of my own about scenes that I found jarring and nonessential to the plot.  But there is so much on the other side of the scale that mesmerized me.  It was delightfully surreal and enigmatic, the sets were haunting, and the characters were unusually striking.  I think it was Rutger Hauer's finest role.  Like you, I can't see Rachael (I think Sean Young was the actress) as a love interest.  That part of the story was never developed, but I was intrigued by her, and in no small way.  At one time, I believed that movie was the end all be all of science fiction, something to shoot for, and while you see it as more noir than science fiction, I see modern day sci fi as more action than science fiction.

I liked the older style of thought provoking story telling sci fi, like the original Star Trek series, Planet of the Apes, Blade Runner, Fire Fly, and The Thirteenth Floor.  Maybe it has something to do with what you grow up with, but I do miss good story telling.  Not that story telling isn't part of today's sci fi.  It's just become a crude backup for most of action/sci fi movies, with exceptions here and there.  Iron Man I had a fairly good story, even the First Transformers, but story telling is treated more as a nonessential today.   

the_antithesis

Quote from: Savior2006 on May 29, 2015, 10:31:46 PM
What I don't like is the pointless goddamned love triangle between the star, the ex-wife, and the ex-wife's new boyfriend. Who is rich and turns out to be a jerk. Seriously, this crap gets old.

Might have been more interesting if the Rock winds up hooking up with the new boyfriend?

aitm

Blackhat…..not a bad flick..the premise was promising,,need the worlds bad boy hacker to help the Chinese and American find another hacker, but the idea they let him out of the country and into actual combat situations is pretty stupid from any logical standpoint. Still from the view of a complete tech moron it was interesting to watch higher tech at "work" so to speak since they could have been talking about random shit and I would have thought it was just as techie….shit…you know…..anyway. Not a bad flick. Maybe a 4
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg
KUNG FURY is 30 minutes of WTF did I just watch, but in a good way, a great way.
It has a deliberate eighties-feel, complete with damaged VHS tape effects, cheesy dialogue, a Miami setting, outdated props and voice-cameos by David Hasselhoff.
Spectacularly absurd and absurdly spectacular. Over the top fast kung-fu action, lasershooting dinosaurs, viking warriorbabes with machineguns, Hittler and a Lamborghini Countach... this kickstarter-project out of Sweden has it all.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

SGOS

Quote from: Jutter on May 31, 2015, 12:06:02 PM

Hey that was good.  Is this a one time only deal or some series on TV?  The production values are pretty good.  Someone needs to make fun of this shit we pay good money to watch.  I think some thought went into this:

Guy is hanging onto the outside of a speeding car <transmission interference with nothing but white snow> <Picture comes back 4 seconds later>  Now guy is hanging on a helicopter.  How did that happen in 4 seconds?  Who cares? <transmission interference> Now he's slammed into an orbiting satellite.  How did he get from a helicopter into an outer space brawl?  Who cares?

And speaking of Hitler, all of those self appointed history experts that say Hitler was a great orator...  I never got that.  Without the sound, he looked like a silly caricature of, well, himself.  With the sound he's speaking in German, but so what?  He still looks like a silly caricature.  And that stupid mustache didn't help his image either.  If he wasn't sending people off to the gas chambers all the time, would anyone have taken him seriously?

Mike Cl

[quote author=SGOS link=topic=80.msg1076650#msg1076650 date=1433090220

And speaking of Hitler, all of those self appointed history experts that say Hitler was a great orator...  I never got that.  Without the sound, he looked like a silly caricature of, well, himself.  With the sound he's speaking in German, but so what?  He still looks like a silly caricature.  And that stupid mustache didn't help his image either.  If he wasn't sending people off to the gas chambers all the time, would anyone have taken him seriously?
[/quote]
Yeah, he seems that way to me, too.  :)  His voice does not seem beguiling to me--only grating.  But I do think he was in touch with the zeitgeist of his country and that he was speaking directly to that.  I don't feel that force, so I just can not make a connection with him or his antics.  They do look comical.  If only they really had been..................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

the_antithesis

Quote from: Jutter on May 31, 2015, 12:06:02 PM
KUNG FURY is 30 minutes of WTF did I just watch, but in a good way, a great way.

Is it as good as Miami Connection?

EDIT: Alright. I take it back.

Savior2006

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 30, 2015, 08:52:34 AM
Might have been more interesting if the Rock winds up hooking up with the new boyfriend?

Yep. =D
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Savior2006

Quote from: SGOS on May 30, 2015, 07:12:40 AM
I'm reading the book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, right now.  At about half way through, it is not at all like the movie.  At best, if Blade Runner were a series, "Androids Dream" would be a separate episode.  The book provides nothing more than a rough premise (so far).  It's like someone said to a movie producer, "Why don't you make a movie about a guy that hunts down rogue androids, and ends up falling in love with one of them?"  So the movie producer hires someone to write a story about that scenario.  Philip Dick, the author of "Androids" should not be legally entitled to any of the movie rights IMO.  The idea is there, but it's a different story.

In the 80's, I never heard any hype about Blade Runner.  Never even heard of the movie until I accidently caught it on HBO or something.  It was a sleeper as far as I knew.  I was telling my sister about it, and she nodded knowingly and pointed out that around Chicago, there were formal discussion groups people could attend to talk about it.  Wow!  That big, huh?

I agree with most of your criticisms about the movie, except for it being more noir than science fiction, and I could add some criticisms of my own about scenes that I found jarring and nonessential to the plot.  But there is so much on the other side of the scale that mesmerized me.  It was delightfully surreal and enigmatic, the sets were haunting, and the characters were unusually striking.  I think it was Rutger Hauer's finest role.  Like you, I can't see Rachael (I think Sean Young was the actress) as a love interest.  That part of the story was never developed, but I was intrigued by her, and in no small way.  At one time, I believed that movie was the end all be all of science fiction, something to shoot for, and while you see it as more noir than science fiction, I see modern day sci fi as more action than science fiction.

I liked the older style of thought provoking story telling sci fi, like the original Star Trek series, Planet of the Apes, Blade Runner, Fire Fly, and The Thirteenth Floor.  Maybe it has something to do with what you grow up with, but I do miss good story telling.  Not that story telling isn't part of today's sci fi.  It's just become a crude backup for most of action/sci fi movies, with exceptions here and there.  Iron Man I had a fairly good story, even the First Transformers, but story telling is treated more as a nonessential today.   

Good points.

Serenity (sequel to Firefly TV series). Funny moments. Engaging characters. Thoughtful on the concept of individualism vs conformity. 8 out of 10.

Cube, in which people are stuck in a maze-like cube (duh filled with deathtraps). Tense and scary each time they step into a new room because nearly each method the people use to deduce if the next room is trapped at one point fails them. Short and doesn't outstay it's welcome. It's kept deliciously vague why they are there in the Cube in the first place. Recomended.
9 out of 10.
--ApostateLois

--St Giordano

the_antithesis

Quote from: Savior2006 on May 28, 2015, 03:01:48 PM
Blade Runner was good, but I certainly didn't like it as much as dad did. It's noir more than it is sci-fi, to me at least. The romance between Ford and the female lead wasn't convincing and seemed to be there because "well that's what happens in noirs." I can't help but feel that the replicants deserved MUCH more characterization than the Blade Runner hunting them. Shoot, even the briefly touched upon romance between Mr. Howling with Wolves and Ms. "I've disarmed you, but I'm going to run to the end of the hall and cartwheel toward you like a retard" seemed more convincing.

6 out of 10. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I should have.

Blade Runner is one of those tragically flawed movies that movie snobs overrate and the unwashed masses generally ignore.

It's big problem is the weak story. Harrison Ford's character is an uninteresting block of wood. Rutger Hauer's antagonist character is more interesting and more sympathetic for the audience. This led to confusion and lower box office.

They keep making re-edits of the movie trying to make it work, but they can't overcome the fundamental story structure flaws. It may be an influential film, but few are the people who can honestly rate it as their favorite film.

It has since been treated as a collection of neat ideas. Sort of like a model kit that is popular with hobbyists because they can use the parts to build other things, but never to build the actual thing it was meant to make.

Sal1981

The Signal - 8/10

Was entertaining, but rather predictable for its genre.

Shiranu

From the German history professor I had, those gestures meant alot more then than they do now. Just how giving someone the peace sign 80 years ago would have meant nothing and looked goofy. Or how the hand-language of Italians, Greeks and other Mediterraneans can be seen as obsessive by other cultures. It's all a matter of when and who. For his time, Hitler's motions made perfect sense, and some of them still have a place in German gestures.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 02, 2015, 07:21:33 AM
The general consensus is, not as good as the first one.
Just saw Age of Ultron.  I actually liked it more than the first one.

It had more and better action scenes.  I liked how even the non-supers played important roles in the fights.  I loved the new villain.  Ultron > Loki, imho.  And I love Loki, so that's a pretty high bar to hit.  The movie introduces new characters who are all pretty memorable.  They get some fleshing out, but the writers thankfully didn't forget the main 6 Avengers - we get some of Black Widow's backstory, a dip into Tony Stark's psychology, see Hawkeye's private life, and relationships between teammates, particularly Romanov and Banner, as well as Stark and Banner.  There are even cameo appearances by the Falcon and War Machine.  Even though this one was far more serious, there are a couple good jokes in it.  War Machine's tank story.  Thor's hammer in the elevator thing (my personal take is that while the hammer cannot be directly manipulated by someone unworthy, they could freely manipulate whatever the hammer is resting on.  So, the elevator would still work normally even if Thor had left his hammer there)

Have I mentioned lately that I really, really like powered armor and robots?  This movie had it in spades.

The only things that really irked me were the ludicrously fast development time on the strong AI project (it's not exactly the sort of thing that you can knock out in a weekend) and that the result is basically a crapshoot.

Overall, I give it a 1001 out of 1010.

Savior2006

Watched Platoon. Tough thing to watch, especially their raid on the village. But the scenes were memorable, especially the intense ho yay vibes given off by the Green Goblin toward Chris Taylor.

Funny, 'cause I didn't even recognize the guy as Charlie Sheen when I saw clips of the movie years ago.

This is one of the movies that irks the shit out of conservatives, with its strong anti-war theme, and its criticism of certain bad leaders like the inexperienced Lt. letting the soldier run amok during the village raid; as well as said soldiers, sociopaths like Bunny and Barnes, who you will be happy to see die.

10 out of 10.
--ApostateLois

--St Giordano

Sal1981

John Wick - 8.5/10

Punk kills his dog and steals his car, he goes on a killing spree is the plot of the movie, but dang good one at that.