News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

People killed in the name of atheism

Started by victormarte, March 07, 2013, 08:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victormarte

I'm atheist and I'm always looking for arguments against it and exploring answers. However, I can't find a response to this.

Often, I hear most atheists say "People kill in the name of religion, people never kill in the name of atheism."

But then I heard about the soviet union and it's move to end all religion and establish only atheism, which led to deaths to many religious folks.

What say you, my fellow atheists and theists?

:popcorn:

Zatoichi

One example vs countless does not make an equivalency.

I think most of us atheists are not at all interested in forcing anyone not to believe... can't do that anyway, rather we are quite happy to let religion die on it's own. The Soviets obviously took a very bad approach. And I think that had less to do with pushing atheism as much as it was about eliminating social power structures capable of competing with the government for the influence of the population.

Education is all it really takes. Inform people with facts and teach critical thinking and the problem will eventually solve itself.
"If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it." ~Skippy's List

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

GurrenLagann

The Soviets are really the only example. To quote Hitchens jokingly referring to it:

Quote from: "Christopher Hitchens"Well, considering for the entirety of recorded history, the Monopoly on genocide, torture, slavery, racism, genital  mutilation and misogyny had fallen totally in the hands of the religious, I suppose some of my fellow unbelievers thought they'd give it a try.

But yesl the Soviet Union did horrible shit and was headed by atheists. However, you could borrow from Freud and Hitchens to respond.

The Soviet Union leadership became as fanatical and stupid as out of control religious instititutions and even made the same mistakes. The conditions that allow for the religious mentality to take hold and the sorts of belief that follow are very much analogous:

-They had a Great Leader from whom all blessing flowed

-Their were hersy hunts

-They were willing to kill over matters of belief

-They produced false miracles, case and point Lysenko's Biology

But really, just admit that the SU was shit and those atheists that ran it were too. Unlike say a Christian, an atheist isn't committed to saying that Atheist X is somehow important to atheism because they're infallible or some such nonsense, which a Christian must believe about God and Jesus, hence God commanding patently evil acts is a deadly argument to them.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

billhilly

The soviet union killed in the name of the state, not atheism.

Thumpalumpacus

Billhilly got there first.

China's "Cultural Revolution" is often counted against atheists as well, as is Pol Pot's regime, but those too were examples of a government using terror as a tool of control -- not an attempt to eliminate people because of their faith.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Minimalist

I don't blame the Russians for striking back at the orthodox church.  For centuries it was a prop for the monarchy.  As in France, where the church joined the aristocracy to oppress the population, it is amazing that the reaction against the religious fuckers was not more severe than it was.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

GurrenLagann

I'm going to have to disagree with some of you, or question whether you apply that same attitude toward some apparently religiously motivated violence in history. The Soviets were very much motivated to violence against religion/the religious specifically. Were there historical, cultural explanations/justifications? Sure. But if you take that route in a conversation with some theist, then you really can't much justify using historical examples of apparently religious violence without also applying the same principle.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

NitzWalsh

Atheism doesn't lead to any sort of violence. It is not a cause for mass murder or genocide in the Soviet Union. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god or gods. If there is murder or genocidal acts committed by people who claim to be atheist, it is not because they are atheist, it is because of other philosophical outlooks they hold. Religion on the other had has these "holy" books which condone and even command violence, murder, slavery, rape, etc.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "victormarte"What say you, my fellow atheists and theists?

I say I'm no fucking communist.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "victormarte"I'm atheist and I'm always looking for arguments against it and exploring answers. However, I can't find a response to this.

Often, I hear most atheists say "People kill in the name of religion, people never kill in the name of atheism."

But then I heard about the soviet union and it's move to end all religion and establish only atheism, which led to deaths to many religious folks.

Where in the book of atheism does it say we should kill in the name of atheism?  :popcorn:
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Brian37

Quote from: "victormarte"I'm atheist and I'm always looking for arguments against it and exploring answers. However, I can't find a response to this.

Do you think you are the first to hear and or use this argument?

First off Stalin, long before he became a dictator was a theologian. So he had been educated in the same manor as to the God character's demand of blind loyalty. But even as such if one wants to claim the Soviet Union was "atheist", the crime to the state was not religion, religion NEVER left Russia during his rule. The crime was ANY dissent to the worship of the state. The Soviet Union had the same mentality of worship, instead of a god you had to worship the state.

But like I said, religion never left. When the Soviet Union fell the churches popped right back up. It wasn't that the citizens were not religious, it was that the state did not allow for any type of POLITICAL OR BUSINESS OR PRIVATE CITIZEN OR RELIGIOUS dissent. The crime was not religion, the crime was dissent.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

pr126

WitchSabrina

Feb 17, 1600 -  one of the first atheists burned at the stake for heresy.

http://philosopedia.org/index.php/Giordano_Bruno
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Brian37

Quote from: "pr126"Maybe it would help if you looked up the term Cult of Personality.

Funny you should mention that phrase. "Cult Of Personality". People hail Hendrix, and he was a great guitarist and showman. BUT, the band "Living Colour" of the early 90s, to me kicked much more ass, but never got the fame it deserved. One of their songs was titled "Cult of Personality" and between Hendrix and guitarist Vernon Reid of Living Colour Vernon smokes Hendrix. It may be blasphemy to rock fans, but I don't give a fuck. Vernon Reid to me is much more talented.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37