Would they have apologized for any *other* language?

Started by trdsf, March 20, 2015, 02:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 21, 2015, 12:30:16 AM
America was the spoils of war that the colonialist and their children took, and created a government ingeniously to fit a multi cultural society. English is practiced worldwide and is spoken in American courts and government departments we have ties to Britain as the 2nd English speaking country. New york is a part of America therefore English is number one.

it may have been read by an arab but to speak, which I think on to other children is brainwashing.

Atheon

I think we should learn many languages.
æˆ'認ç,ºæˆ'å€'都應該學很多çš,,語言.
ผมà¸,,ิà¸"ว่าเราต้องจะเรียนภาษาอื่นๆ
Saya pikir kita harus belajar banyak bahasa.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

trdsf

Quote from: Atheon on March 21, 2015, 11:45:39 AM
I think we should learn many languages.
æˆ'認ç,ºæˆ'å€'都應該學很多çš,,語言.
ผมà¸,,ิà¸"ว่าเราต้องจะเรียนภาษาอื่นๆ
Saya pikir kita harus belajar banyak bahasa.

Heh.  It has occurred to me that the languages I've studied most -- four years of high school German and three semesters of college Russian -- are some pretty ominous ones when you know that I'm of Polish ancestry.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Draconic Aiur

opps

Shiranu

A bit late, but Fox News' take on the story... holy fuck, that's painful to listen to.

http://bluenationreview.com/racism/
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on March 28, 2015, 08:00:41 PM
A bit late, but Fox News' take on the story... holy fuck, that's painful to listen to.

http://bluenationreview.com/racism/
Faux news strikes again. 

Where did they dig this Dr. (??) up?  He indicates that we are at war with militant islam, which uses the Arabic language.  So what?  He also indicated the pledge should be said only in english.  Why?  I would think that we would want the pledge said in any and every language--whether we are at war with them or not.  Isn't the pledge supposed to be about us and not them?  And what would have been bad about saying the pledge in german during WWII???  I think it would have been a great propaganda tool to beam it across all nazi held territory during the war--and in Japanese in Japan held territory.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 28, 2015, 09:27:44 PM
Faux news strikes again. 

Where did they dig this Dr. (??) up?  He indicates that we are at war with militant islam, which uses the Arabic language.  So what?  He also indicated the pledge should be said only in english.  Why?  I would think that we would want the pledge said in any and every language--whether we are at war with them or not.  Isn't the pledge supposed to be about us and not them?  And what would have been bad about saying the pledge in german during WWII???  I think it would have been a great propaganda tool to beam it across all nazi held territory during the war--and in Japanese in Japan held territory.   

Eh, I don't know about the German and Japanese... the paranoia here was ridiculous. People forget just how terrible the internment camps were, and so many Germans here in Central Texas have English last names because their families changed their names out of fear for their safety.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 28, 2015, 09:27:44 PM
  I think it would have been a great propaganda tool to beam it across all nazi held territory during the war--and in Japanese in Japan held territory.   

I think you are ahead of your times. But that would seem to be a pretty good idea.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on March 28, 2015, 10:01:50 PM
Eh, I don't know about the German and Japanese... the paranoia here was ridiculous. People forget just how terrible the internment camps were, and so many Germans here in Central Texas have English last names because their families changed their names out of fear for their safety.
Oh, I haven't forgotten about the paranoia that was rampant then--I live next to what was a Japanese concentration camp.  What I'm suggesting is that if we really do believe we have the best political system in the history of the world, then we should act like it.  Reading our pledge in the language of an enemy would be simply a slap in the face of the enemy--not praising them.  And it is too bad that we are so shallow as a people that a German last name would brand them a nazi.  Or that being of Japanese decent would brand one an enemy.  We tout that we are a melting pot, yet we prove daily that we really are not.  As I understand it, the people with Italian last names suffered a similar fate on the East Coast.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on March 28, 2015, 10:27:27 PM
I think you are ahead of your times. But that would seem to be a pretty good idea.
I guess in my old age I've gotten pretty good at figuring out what buttons to push to really irritate somebody--or some group.  :)  Believe it or not, some of the most interesting people, in that regards, were members of the Army Psychological Operations unit that I knew.  Seems like that would have been a fun unit to be a member of.