Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 25, 2018, 05:08:02 PM
Some people take comic books and graphic novels very seriously.

Doctoral dissertation in graphic novel form

https://boingboing.net/2015/06/21/doctoral-dissertation-in-graph.html

Columbia University awarded a doctorate in education to Nick Sousanis for Unflattening, a graphic novel about the relationship between words and pictures in literature.

It was published by Harvard University Press and got a starred review in Publishers Weekly the journal Comics Grid wrote that it demonstrated "the viability of a comic book as doctoral scholarship in its own right, rather than a separate work requiring some accompanying critical paratext." ...
And people get Ph.Ds in playground supervision. (You won't get that reference.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 25, 2018, 05:02:20 PM
You take comic books too seriously.
Some of them are very serious.  Some are intended to be somewhat serious.  And some are very silly.  It's a much larger and more varied format than you're presenting.

Saying that comics are for kids is like saying that TV shows are for kids.  (Some of them are, some of them aren't)

QuoteI dropped them like a bad habit when I discovered Heinlein, Simak, Asimov, et al.
Are these mutually exclusive? Also, relevance?  Cause your argument essentially boils down to books are bad because you like plays more.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 25, 2018, 09:01:50 PM
Some of them are very serious.  Some are intended to be somewhat serious.  And some are very silly.  It's a much larger and more varied format than you're presenting.

Saying that comics are for kids is like saying that TV shows are for kids.  (Some of them are, some of them aren't)
Are these mutually exclusive? Also, relevance?  Cause your argument essentially boils down to books are bad because you like plays more.
Comic book too many words, confuse me!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I was Aqua Man today.  It was pretty Marginal I thought.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on December 27, 2018, 05:08:44 PM
I was Aqua Man today.  It was pretty Marginal I thought.
Water you mean?  Can you be more pacific?  Dew you think it was watered down from the source material?  Or an opportunaty wasted?  Or did the DCEU just run out of stream?  (Or didn't give a dam)

Unbeliever

I really want to see Vice, but it's too bad it's a comedy. We won't find out what really happened with that White House. Casting look great, though!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 27, 2018, 08:25:19 PM
I really want to see Vice, but it's too bad it's a comedy. We won't find out what really happened with that White House. Casting look great, though!

Conspiracy theory for liberals?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on December 24, 2018, 08:41:19 PM
That's too bad, I've been rooting for DC to get their act together, and at least go toe to toe with Marvel one time.  They've got great characters, but the don't seem to get the most out of them.  Actually, I won't pass up a DC movie ever.  If it has a superhero, I'm going to see it.  I loved Wonder Woman up until the end, where it dragged on far too long for an acceptable climax.  I'm all for a good explosion, but if it lasts more then 10 minutes, I get bored.
I am going to be cautiously optimistic about the upcoming Doom Patrol series... but I'm not betting anything on it.  That way if it doesn't suck, I can be pleasantly surprised.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 27, 2018, 05:28:58 PM
Water you mean?  Can you be more pacific?  Dew you think it was watered down from the source material?  Or an opportunaty wasted?  Or did the DCEU just run out of stream?  (Or didn't give a dam)
This post is out of character from you usual serious responses.  But I like it.  In answer to your question, I've always been perplexed that DC could not match the success of Marvel, and now with Marvel temporarily out of the way, DC failed to capitalize on a watershed moment where they could have turned the tide and ridden a wave to box office success.

SGOS

I've been looking forward to Glass.  I must have seen a trailer 3 months ago, which captivated me with one scene, where a psychiatrist was giving a tour of the asylum, and she introduces herself, "I'm Dr. 'something or other' and I specialize exclusively in patients suffering from the delusion that they are superheroes."  That scene alone was brilliant, as it capitalizes on wild popularity of the genre where movie goers have become so all consumed by superheroes that a new mental disorder has manifested itself in the psychiatric desk guide to mental illness.  That in itself would be a wonderful premise for a movie, but they take it one step further, and it turns out that some of the patients in the asylum are actually misdiagnosed superheroes.  There is so much that could be done with that entire premise that I will be angry if Hollywood fails and wastes such a golden opportunity.

Gawdzilla Sama

McAvoy is a superhero or just a multiple personality? Enquiring minds want to know.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 28, 2018, 06:19:34 AM
McAvoy is a superhero or just a multiple personality? Enquiring minds want to know.
Yeah, I'm not sure how that goes.  I've wondered about that too.  Superheroes frequently seem to suffer from some sort of internal turmoil, whether it be Batman's original fears or Dr. Strange's narcissism.  So I suppose a superhero with a multiple personality might work, although it carries the inner turmoil to an odd extreme.  In addition, I didn't like McAvoy's character in split.  I actually didn't even like the movie, so we are building from the worst sot of unlikeable character.  I know some people didn't like Dr. Strange's personality either, but narcissism is one thing.  A psychotic serial murderer is something else.

Gawdzilla Sama

Let me know how it turns out, please. Too old to watch accidentally bad movies.

Deliberately bad movies, on the other paw...
PZ Myers

Hydra009

I saw a pretty interesting video that claimed that the MCU was heavily influenced by three movies:  Green Lantern, X-Men, and Spider-Man.

Green Lantern flopped in part because the completely CGI costume looked bad.  X-Men eschewed their iconic colors (bad move) and instead used all-black leather suits.  Spider-Man went the other route and used its classic colors (good move).

Iron Man is particular did costuming well because the suit takes damage and shows realistic-looking battle damage in subsequent shots.  That helps sell audiences on the idea that the suit is real.

In short, these films laid the groundwork for superhero costuming in the MCU - helping to define what's acceptable and what's not.  Turns out fans prefer practical effects and iconic colors compared to over-reliance on CGI and bland colors.  Who knew!

Munch

Well, if that's so, why have the avengers gone from having colourful costumes as you would think they'd wear in the comics in avengers 1, to now the avengers wearing dismal dark colours in infinity war?

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin