Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

Quote from: stromboli on December 19, 2015, 11:59:49 AM
.308 rifle with a scope. See if Jedi can anticipate a 2500 FPS 150 grain bullet from 200 yards. Yeah I know; buzzkill.

This may not have been specifically enunciated (or very well portrayed) anywhere in the movies, but blaster fire is "intense light energy" and therefore presumably moves at the speed of light and jedi don't seem to have any problem deflecting them.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hydra009

Quote from: Nonsensei on December 19, 2015, 02:28:29 PM
This may not have been specifically enunciated (or very well portrayed) anywhere in the movies, but blaster fire is "intense light energy" and therefore presumably moves at the speed of light and jedi don't seem to have any problem deflecting them.
It varies a lot in the movies and tv shows, but it's portrayed as definitely much less than the speed of light and arguably slower than real-world bullets.  It's slow enough that even non-jedi can dodge or block the shot, and they do on occasion in the TV shows.

Anyways, the perfect Jedi-killers are area-effect weapons like Bubba Fett's flamethrower.  Those cloaks catch on fire really easily.

Baruch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 19, 2015, 01:55:22 PM
They have Star Wars movies planned out for the next 6 years.  So, what to do after that??? Well, I've got a great idea!!!!  Why not do Episodes 6.1, 6.2, 6.3?  We can call them the "sequel prequels".  In these movies, we learn how young and promising upcoming Jedi Ben Solo eventually falls to the Dark Side.  We can see him as a young boy doing pod races.  To show his nativity, he can yell, "yippie". Nobody's ever seen anything like that before, amiright???

No need to recast Luke Skywalker, Princes Leia or Han Solo. Simply have Andy Serkis play them all in mo-cap and have them all CGI characters.  They might even be able to get George Lucas to come back and direct them. Whaddya think? I think its brilliant!!!!

See, technology ruins theater.  You need a cold marble seat in the open air ... and actors shouting thru painted clay masks.  And Darth Vader .. come on .. nobody messes with Oedipus Rex ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

The gravity of their heroic dignity is enough to bend space-time.  So they only have to deflect it, not dodge it.  But if you are the guy standing next to the hero ... watch out! ;-)

If Qui-Gon Jin could anticipate the future, then he should have realized he needed to play a different role in the story ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Nonsensei

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 19, 2015, 04:09:47 PM
It varies a lot in the movies and tv shows, but it's portrayed as definitely much less than the speed of light and arguably slower than real-world bullets.  It's slow enough that even non-jedi can dodge or block the shot, and they do on occasion in the TV shows.

Anyways, the perfect Jedi-killers are area-effect weapons like Bubba Fett's flamethrower.  Those cloaks catch on fire really easily.

Yes it does vary a lot in the movies. Most strikingly, the amount of time it takes for a blaster shot to travel from Han Solo's gun across a dining room to Darth Vader's hand is depicted as being almost exactly as fast as a turbolaser shot takes to travel the gulf of space between a Star Destroyer and a Corellian Corvette , a distance many times greater.

I think its supposed to move at the speed of light, but Lucas didn't want flashlight beams but instead wanted something approximating bullets and ended up depicting light speed shots as moving ridiculously slower than the speed of light so the audience could see what was happening in a way that would make sense to them.

aitm

The "problem" in my opinion, is many of you take movies far to seriously, really, you know the name of third hand characters and I don't even remember the names of the main. I watch movies for pure escapism, some of you seem to see alternate life in them. It's a movie.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

Quote from: aitm on December 19, 2015, 09:58:32 PM
The "problem" in my opinion, is many of you take movies far to seriously, really, you know the name of third hand characters and I don't even remember the names of the main. I watch movies for pure escapism, some of you seem to see alternate life in them. It's a movie.

Hate to say it, but I agree with aitm here... and I am provably one of the largest star wars nerds around. It's magic and dramatics, not a episode of Cosmos.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Bah.  I like to analyze the details of stuff.  It's fun and it can sometimes lead to some interesting insights.  I see no reason to stop simply because someone else is not so inclined.

Nonsensei

Quote from: aitm on December 19, 2015, 09:58:32 PM

Yeah we remember the details of, and like to discuss, things we like. What ever the fuck could be wrong with us?

Shiranu

Nothing wrong with discussing, just realise it's a movie that had severe technological limitations so accuracy may not be included.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Jeremy Jahn's spoilerless review is very much how I came out of it feeling...

Or the spoiler-heavy one more accurately...

Baruch

Fascinating to see a franchise (but not as old as Dr Who) travel from generation to generation ;-)  Sort of validates Joseph Campbell.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

stromboli

And I totally believe that, yes I do. Anticipating trigger pulls milliseconds ahead, we are.

Shiranu

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on December 20, 2015, 06:06:10 PM
Btw: they shoot plasma, not light.

So we can defeat the Empire/First Order ... by not donating at the blood bank? ;-)  What if we only donate red blood cells, and no plasma?

If you mean the other kind of plasma, it seems too contained to be weaponized ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAi7Ju43rDc
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.