Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Atheon on December 17, 2015, 03:00:00 AM
I kid, of course.

Or am I? Muhahahahahah!

Reminds me of when The Return of the Jedi came out.  A woman at work was a big Star Wars fan.  But, she didn't see it opening day, she was going to wait until the weekend.  So I saw it first.  I get back to the office and jokingly said, "Luke dies".  She yelled how I ruined it!  I said I was only joking.  She said well now she knows Luke doesn't die.  I said, c'mon, you know Luke wouldn't die.  She was still mad and said well he could have and now she knows he doesn't.

LOL.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

I really enjoyed The Force Awakens.  It is getting overall stellar reviews. But, for people that don't like it, they complain it is too much of a rehash of the original movie.  And, they have a point. There are lots of near identical plot points.  You can also see bits of Empire Strikes Back and even Raiders of the Lost Arc.

But, after the maligned prequels, the way to get the franchise back on its feet probably required going back to the beginning.

Still, to me, the idea of sword fighting with light weapons when you can use a blaster from a distance seems hokey. That and droids that can't speak.  I agree it was brilliant in '77.  But, seems dated to me.  I'm surprised the franchise has survived as strong as it has.  The franchise has managed to survive the prequels, and having a number of things that to me seem pretty dated, and yet here it is, still popular.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

I just saw that big-budget movie everyone's been raving about.  The Hobbit was okay, I guess.  Some pacing issues and numerous deus ex machinas really hurt my impression of it.  Overall, it was okay.  Not amazing, not terrible, just okay.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Shiranu on December 19, 2015, 02:37:48 AM

Any particular reason?

Wasn't impressed with the story to be honest; liked some of the actors but not a fan of Finn, (just a name not spoilers) the shock was predictable to me at least, and I'm a little tired of the trope of the hero always winning. The movie itself felt like a rehash of the original, didn't like the humor, also felt like I was watching another Star Trek movie not another Star Wars movie. Also everyone I've told about my opinion has attacked me and said "if you don't love if you hate it" so my opinion is further soured

I'll stick with expanded universe. Not paying to see episode 7 again
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on December 17, 2015, 02:58:06 AM
Torn between starting "Citizen Kane" (never seen it before) or some good ol' film noir flicks. Probably gonna go with Kane.

Citizen Kane was top movie of all time ... for a long time.  Recently displaced by Vertigo.  Under what rocks have y'all been hidin'?  Oh yeah ... young people ;-)  But to appreciate Citizen Kane, you have to visit the mansion of the man it was based on, William Randolph Hearst ... Hearst Castle in CA.  Citizen Kane stars the young Orson Welles ... but Vertigo stars James Stewart ... my favorite actor of all time.  And don't forget The Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 18, 2015, 11:21:12 PM
I really enjoyed The Force Awakens.  It is getting overall stellar reviews. But, for people that don't like it, they complain it is too much of a rehash of the original movie.  And, they have a point. There are lots of near identical plot points.  You can also see bits of Empire Strikes Back and even Raiders of the Lost Arc.

But, after the maligned prequels, the way to get the franchise back on its feet probably required going back to the beginning.

Still, to me, the idea of sword fighting with light weapons when you can use a blaster from a distance seems hokey. That and droids that can't speak.  I agree it was brilliant in '77.  But, seems dated to me.  I'm surprised the franchise has survived as strong as it has.  The franchise has managed to survive the prequels, and having a number of things that to me seem pretty dated, and yet here it is, still popular.

George Lucas understands cyclic metaphysics aka Hinduism/Buddhism.  Of course events repeat themselves!  Usually boy meets girl, girl has baby kind of cycle ;-))

There is a genre ... where distance weapons are considered cowardly, that real men use edged weapons.  This goes back to the Illiad.  There is a whole sci-fi book series by one author based on this ... semi-medieval idea ... by Marion Zimmer Bradley.  In this world you could use psy weapons, but not sci weapons.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 18, 2015, 11:21:12 PM

Haven't seen it yet. But I will try to enjoy it, just like I did the prequels, and overlook the flaws. Until they let me direct my own, their will always be flaws. For me, it's more an emotional stimulation than an intellectual one. I don't try to pick apart Star Wars, too much.

And a blaster is no match for a lightsaber, in the hands of a Jedi. :geek:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Nonsensei

Just saw the force awakens. What did you guys think of the new unicorn jedi? I was ok with it until he piloted that x-wing. I mean how did he even fit in there?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Nonsensei

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on December 19, 2015, 10:04:47 AM
Haven't seen it yet. But I will try to enjoy it, just like I did the prequels, and overlook the flaws. Until they let me direct my own, their will always be flaws. For me, it's more an emotional stimulation than an intellectual one. I don't try to pick apart Star Wars, too much.

And a blaster is no match for a lightsaber, in the hands of a Jedi. :geek:

Yeah I mean lets be clear. Basically everyone who isn't a trained force user uses blasters and other more conventional seeming weaponry. Which is a percentage of people so close to 100% as to almost be mathematically indistinguishable from it. Jedi can get away with it because of the force which, as we have seen before, can be used to just swat blaster fire aside bare handed.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Nonsensei on December 19, 2015, 10:06:26 AM
Just saw the force awakens. What did you guys think of the new unicorn jedi? I was ok with it until he piloted that x-wing. I mean how did he even fit in there?
Now you went and spoiled it for me! Just don't tell me if his horn turns into a lightsaber...

Quote from: Nonsensei on December 19, 2015, 10:09:07 AM
Yeah I mean lets be clear. Basically everyone who isn't a trained force user uses blasters and other more conventional seeming weaponry. Which is a percentage of people so close to 100% as to almost be mathematically indistinguishable from it. Jedi can get away with it because of the force which, as we have seen before, can be used to just swat blaster fire aside bare handed.
Didn't Qui-Gon Jin explain that, in a way, in The Phantom Menace? He said Jedi can anticipate the future, and therefore seem to have quick reflexes (thus Anakin's ability to pilot the pod-racer).
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

SGOS

Quote from: Nonsensei on December 19, 2015, 10:09:07 AM

I've only seen the first Star Wars, but it just occurred to me that fighting with light sabers might be an advantage, where dazzling your blaster packin' opponent with artful skill and cool moves causes your opponent to throw in the towel and become honor bound to let you kill him, because shooting a light saber guy in the face with a blaster would be cowardly and bring shame upon your family and culture, at least in a galaxy far far away, where honor is valued over victory.

stromboli

.308 rifle with a scope. See if Jedi can anticipate a 2500 FPS 150 grain bullet from 200 yards. Yeah I know; buzzkill.

caseagainstfaith

They have Star Wars movies planned out for the next 6 years.  So, what to do after that??? Well, I've got a great idea!!!!  Why not do Episodes 6.1, 6.2, 6.3?  We can call them the "sequel prequels".  In these movies, we learn how young and promising upcoming Jedi Ben Solo eventually falls to the Dark Side.  We can see him as a young boy doing pod races.  To show his nativity, he can yell, "yippie". Nobody's ever seen anything like that before, amiright???

No need to recast Luke Skywalker, Princes Leia or Han Solo. Simply have Andy Serkis play them all in mo-cap and have them all CGI characters.  They might even be able to get George Lucas to come back and direct them. Whaddya think? I think its brilliant!!!!