Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseagainstfaith

Yes, I know that Terminator Genisys is getting generally poor reviews.  Yes, I know the trailer unimpressed fans.  Yes, I know that 1 & 2 made complete story and attempts to continue it come across as picking over moldy scraps.  Finally, I'm not a great critic and often like movies that are considered mediocre by movie goers and critics alike.  And, OF COURSE I know know that "Grandpa Terminator" is really really corny.

And, despite all that, I enjoyed the hell out of.  There were plenty of cringe-worthy moments.  "Don't put Gramps Terminator in an old folk's home!  He's still got plenty of life in them legs! He doesn't even need a walker yet!"  (or something like that...)

So, yeah, take it with lots of caveats.  But for me, I think it should be getting better reviews than it is getting.  No, of course its not as good as the first two, only an idiot would have considered that a remote possibility.  But its only getting 25% on tomatometer right now, and I think it should be higher than that.  Of course, YMMV.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

As far as Jurassic World, they basically played the classic sequel playbook:  tell basically the same story, but up the stakes.  So, with the Park, er, World now open with thousands of guests every day, you got limitless potential victims for the taking.  And eating.

I found the basic way it was handled was competent.  The idea that the former management would just put on a new name and some new paint and continue on after the first disaster seemed like what would really happen. So, no specific complaints.  But, still had a "been there, done that" feel to it.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

GSOgymrat

With Jurassic World I could believe scientists created dinosaurs but I couldn't buy the lead character running through a muddy jungle in spiked heels.

SGOS

Focus
Will Smith  and Margot Robbie  8/10

Very surprising grifter movie will all sorts of twists and turns.  I've always liked Will Smith, and Margot Robbie is a pleasant sight, as well as a convincing actress.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 01, 2015, 12:55:18 PM
With Jurassic World I could believe scientists created dinosaurs but I couldn't buy the lead character running through a muddy jungle in spiked heels.

I had the same reaction.  They should have fired the wardrobe designer.

Shiranu

Going to watch the Harry Potter series for the first time this weekend, I'll see how that goes.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on July 04, 2015, 02:05:10 AM
Going to watch the Harry Potter series for the first time this weekend, I'll see how that goes.
All of them???  Damn, that is a shit load of popcorn!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Savior2006

Terminator Genysis

A solid 8 out of 10. I dunno how this time traveling shit is supposed to work. I doubt the screenwriter knows either.
But it's got great action.

I wish I had a deeper review. I watched Terminator 1 about 3 years ago. The third movie even further back than that. I missed Salvation.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

aitm

Got bored last night and watched Kingsmen. Yeah, mix up James Bond and some whack a doodle ideas, typical good guy bad guy, well dressed skinny kid beats the fuck outa 6 large brawlers and ,oh yeah, lots of hookum. But it was still fun and a good laugh once in awhile. About a 4, but I liked it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on July 08, 2015, 10:56:50 AM
Got bored last night and watched Kingsmen. Yeah, mix up James Bond and some whack a doodle ideas, typical good guy bad guy, well dressed skinny kid beats the fuck outa 6 large brawlers and ,oh yeah, lots of hookum. But it was still fun and a good laugh once in awhile. About a 4, but I liked it.
Watched Max with my grandson.  I thought of it as Rin Tin Tin in modern time.  He liked it.  He rated it 7/10.  I love dogs, so I rated it about the same.  Or put another way, a solid B movie.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Green Bottle

I thought Terminator Genysis was going to be terminator 2 all over again, u know, the same storyline/plot,but no, a few twists an turns an surprises, i thought it was well done.
8/10

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

SGOS

The Woman in Gold 
Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds 8/10

It's strange to see Ryan Reynolds playing a straight role, but he's good at it, and Helen Mirren is excellent as always.  A Jewish woman escapes the Nazis who kill her family and steal their possessions.  She ends up in the in California.  After the war, a valuable piece of art stolen from her family ends up as a beloved centerpiece in the Museum of Art in Vienna, and 50 years latter she tries to reclaim it, but the Austrians won't give it back.  She takes on a young American lawyer of Austrian descent who becomes obsessed with the case and risks everything in an attempt to win it back.  Based on a true story.

aitm

I just watched some of the new version of "Conan, the barbarian" the new version,2011ish……holy crap…can you believe the original almost 30 years ago is a fucking masterpiece compared to this new piece of crap?  Wow. I give it a -infinity…really…..really.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

dtq123

Do excuse me if documentaries do not count.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAMCZKDgL04

10/10 Next only to nature movies and other documentaries

Great information on early life and early philosophy, as well as late life and accurate information of Sartre's ideas
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Sal1981

Home - 9.5/10

A pretty good feel-good movie with a happy ending.