News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: doorknob on November 03, 2016, 04:51:45 PM
It's a good thing I don't think anything in the bible is more than a fairy tale or I might get insulted.

There are few things in all of life funnier than a theist throwing a christian biblical citation at an atheist. 

Unless perhaps it is theists thinking that atheists care more about THEIR theism than any other nonsensical one. 

I like to ask them "Thought much about Thor lately?"
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: doorknob on November 03, 2016, 04:51:45 PM
It's a good thing I don't think anything in the bible is more than a fairy tale or I might get insulted.
One can't be insulted without one's consent.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

I hi
Quote from: Cavebear on November 03, 2016, 05:03:26 PM
I like to ask them "Thought much about Thor lately?"
I hit myself with a hammer - now I have a Thor thumb.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 04, 2016, 06:16:26 PM
One can't be insulted without one's consent.

It doesn't take consent to be insulted.  Insulted IS!  That is like saying that rape requires "consent".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 06, 2016, 01:40:52 AM
It doesn't take consent to be insulted.  Insulted IS!  That is like saying that rape requires "consent".

Don't be triggered! ;-)  If you have a thick enough skin, then you are someone's shoe leather.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 04, 2016, 06:18:25 PM
I hiI hit myself with a hammer - now I have a Thor thumb.

HA!  Made me laugh.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Munch

I'm atheist because I slowly started to analysis to much of the fiction and fluff around belief and religion, and once certain things that didn't make sense broke away, the rest just came tumbling down. I use to believe in ghosts, souls, going somewhere when you die, spiritual healing and even wiccan magics, the idea you could mildly influence things with spells and shit. When rational sense came into play, none of that made sense, and so neither did any shit ever told in any religious text.

It was probably helped along when I realized how almost all religious groups had a problem with gay people, because the leaders of these cults wanted to have set standards for its followers and not think outside this group think. I suppose this is what got out out of following any group think and just follow my own way of thinking.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm only an atheist because it's easier to spell than delusional believer in the invisible, silent thingie in the sky.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on January 26, 2017, 08:24:29 AM
I'm atheist because I slowly started to analysis to much of the fiction and fluff around belief and religion, and once certain things that didn't make sense broke away, the rest just came tumbling down. I use to believe in ghosts, souls, going somewhere when you die, spiritual healing and even wiccan magics, the idea you could mildly influence things with spells and shit. When rational sense came into play, none of that made sense, and so neither did any shit ever told in any religious text.

When I was first formally introduced to mythology, I was impressed at how much of that resembled my own religion.  Think about it.  They each look the same, with hardly a nuance of difference between them, but one is considered to be the truth and the light, while the other is clearly understood to be bullshit.  That seemed like food for thought when I noticed it.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on November 06, 2016, 01:40:52 AM
I disagree - insults can only be taken, not given. If someone tries to insult you, it's your choice whether to take the insult or ignore it.

How does that have anything to do with rape!?
God Not Found

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on January 26, 2017, 10:53:43 AM
When I was first formally introduced to mythology, I was impressed at how much of that resembled my own religion.  Think about it.  They each look the same, with hardly a nuance of difference between them, but one is considered to be the truth and the light, while the other is clearly understood to be bullshit.  That seemed like food for thought when I noticed it.

funny thing was, while I was going though my whole wiccen phase, I got heavily into greek mythology, and learned about the gods, demi gods and mythical heroes from those stories. I think I remember figuring then, well if zeus was this powerful, then you'd think he'd be a match for god, but obviously he couldn't be since he's not around or talked about anymore. So if a god like zeus wasn't, what made sense about any other religion?
The gears started turning pretty quick then.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

randomvim

Quote from: SGOS on January 26, 2017, 10:53:43 AM
what is your concept for bs?

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

SGOS

Quote from: randomvim on January 27, 2017, 03:32:07 PM
what is your concept for bs?

Hearsay, old wives tales, and anything without compelling evidence.

Unbeliever

God Not Found