List Of Celebrity Atheists/Agnostics Or Non Believers

Started by stromboli, January 11, 2016, 10:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls057828993/

Yes I know, doesn't matter. Just feel good shit so you can see there are some stellar celebrities on the same page with us. Frankly some of them I could care less, like Sean Penn. Not one of my personal faves.

gentle_dissident

If were a celeb being interviewed about belief, I would call myself a "God hater".

drunkenshoe

No, it matters in its way. What takes my attention that there aren't many young ones. I wonder how many atheist celebs are not getting loud in not to lose fans.

And Gene Kelly was an atheist? That's interesting. I enjoyed the hollywood musicals as a little kid. I think I always took them as too traditional pieces with the actors came in in it. :lol:

I'm not surprised at many other names listed though.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

NeoLogic26

I love Jodie Foster.  Contact is one of my favorite movies.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

PickelledEggs

I still have a huge crush on Zooey Deschanel...

And it actually does matter, at least a little bit. Anyone that is a high profile personality, their views tend to resonate with their fans. For instance, can you imagine all the people that turned vegan because they listen to Morrisey? I know 2 people that have told me Morrisey turned them vegan.  I know it's not exactly the same thing, but if someone learns their favorite actor is an atheist, they may look more in to what it is, getting the gears in their head going and possibly getting them to think about their beliefs more objectively.

That list is probably bigger, btw...

Munch

Didn't several of these celebs join up to Scientology? Also disappointed in not seeing Hugh Jackman on the list, since I always thought he'd have the common sense to know religion is bs.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

kilodelta

How do we vote them some of them off Atheist Island? Do we actually need a bonfire and torches like last time? The blood fountain was a bit excessive too. But, let's keep the toddler gladiator fights. That was fun.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

stromboli

Toddler gladiator fights? I'm always the last to know.

widdershins

It actually does matter some.  People loved George Carlin and EVERYBODY knew his thoughts on religion.  Yes, the right wing fanatics called him the devil, but nobody really listened because he was funny as hell.  It's good for people to know that celebrities they love are atheist.  It helps to tear down the image the church has built about what, exactly, we are if they see people they are familiar with, even like, if even in a fan sort of way, saying "I am an atheist" or "I don't believe in God".  We need the likable celebrities, not just the likes of Dawkins, who just pisses them off and confirms what they already believe.  Not that Dawkins isn't frigging awesome, because he is, but he's not popular with believers.  He doesn't make the believer say, "Huh.  Maybe atheist's aren't dick bogeymen out to swallow my soul after all."
This sentence is a lie...

GSOgymrat

I didn't see Kathy Griffin on the list, perhaps because she is a D-list celebrity. Still, this one stunt making fun of people who thank God and Jesus for their good fortune makes her one of my favorite atheists ever.

https://youtu.be/RYcOHrxNJjg

LoriPinkAngel

Quote from: gentle_dissident on January 11, 2016, 12:11:13 PM
If were a celeb being interviewed about belief, I would call myself a "God hater".

I can't hate something that doesn't exist.

Unbeliever

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on January 12, 2016, 03:25:13 PM
I can't hate something that doesn't exist.

Yeah, but haters gonna hate, right?

:character0029:

That's a pretty good list. Some of the names surprised and gladdened me.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Eirene

I was looking at these lists the other day, because I was trying to watch that Dawkins/Lawrence -documentary on Netflix (I couldn't figure out why Bill Pullman was featured on it, still can't).
I would have to say the religious affiliation matters somewhat. When I looked through the names I realized I have more respect for some of them now that I 'know' they're atheists. I thought I couldn't love Morgan Freeman or Kevin Bacon more, but as it turns out, I can! :D
I talk to god, but the sky is empty.

TomFoolery

This topic made me look up born-again celebrities. Most of them aren't that surprising, but some of them are. I had no idea about Chris Tucker. I will never watch the Fifth Element the same way again.

http://www.ranker.com/list/celebrities-who-are-born-again-christians/celebrity-lists?var=3&utm_expid=16418821-174.EbTIzGo1TBWiVK5QCBwtow.2&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur