why does the usa hate fidel

Started by Jannabear, December 28, 2016, 06:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on January 06, 2017, 09:17:25 AM
Again though... all I really ask is that America admit they made the wrong choice. We have never apologized for the war crimes we committed in Japan (and other countries)... how many of the "evil" countries have beaten us at that? How many of the "evil" countries continue to say that their war crimes were justified... find reason after reason while it made sense.

Again... I don't want some time machine to change what happened... I want Americans to be honest about what happened like most other countries do. We learn from our mistakes from acknowledging them and not from denying their was any alternative and that we were right to make it.
If you have followed what I have written about US foreign policy in the past, you would realize that I do not rubber stamp our policy in the least.  We have, as a country, done evil in my eyes.  And way too often.  But in this case it seems to me you are using the 'time machine' thinking here, in that you are looking at Truman's choice with today's eyes.  I think he really was in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.  He chose to come down on the Japanese with an untried weapon of such power that it was not really conceivable to him at the time just how powerful and world changing it was.  He did know how the Japanese military and civilians acted in war and how, even near surrender was still very dangerous.  In the world of sports, it is an axiom that went you have your opponent down, go for the kill.  I have seen many times when that was not followed and the nearly defeated opponent got up off the matt and found new life and won or almost won the game.  I think Truman felt he was faced with this situation--how to defeat the Japanese so they knew they were defeated.  And he did.  I don't see the Japanese nation as helpless as you do at that point in time.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

If the Japanese aren't hapless victims then the US isn't so evil, and we can't have that, now can we?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

QuoteBut in this case it seems to me you are using the 'time machine' thinking here, in that you are looking at Truman's choice with today's eyes.

The morals I look at these situations with are about 2300 years older than Truman... so I don't think that is really applicable.

QuoteIf the Japanese aren't hapless victims then the US isn't so evil, and we can't have that, now can we?

That hypocritical hole just keeps digging itself deeper and deeper...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on January 06, 2017, 11:18:55 AM
The morals I look at these situations with are about 2300 years older than Truman... so I don't think that is really applicable.

I simply disagree with your point of view.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 06, 2017, 01:42:23 PM
Good site--I'd missed that one.
Just filled with quotes of glee as the monsters planned to incinerate the poor Japanese. Quite a jolly read, all in all.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 06, 2017, 02:04:00 PM
Just filled with quotes of glee as the monsters planned to incinerate the poor Japanese. Quite a jolly read, all in all.

I guess you just have to result to intentional hypocrisy now to just say you were doing it all along...

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 06, 2017, 07:17:16 AM
The British-US discussion of this matter is informative. Got it somewhere in that maze of bookcases behind me.

Britain was concerned about Japan, because China, because Hong Kong.  And at one time Japan and Britain were allies ... the Japanese were fools to abandon that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 06, 2017, 08:34:39 AM
So let me get this straight... committing various war crimes against them and encouraging it =/= who cares? But saying we shouldn't be the one's doing the killing = who cares?

Man dat logic doe.

Obama the First does war crimes, right now.  It hasn't changed, according to time, geography or leadership.  War is a crime.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 06, 2017, 06:31:54 PM
Britain was concerned about Japan, because China, because Hong Kong.  And at one time Japan and Britain were allies ... the Japanese were fools to abandon that.
Antony Best, Britain, Japan, and Pearl Harbor. Good read.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 06, 2017, 09:17:25 AM
Again though... all I really ask is that America admit they made the wrong choice. We have never apologized for the war crimes we committed in Japan (and other countries)... how many of the "evil" countries have beaten us at that? How many of the "evil" countries continue to say that their war crimes were justified... find reason after reason while it made sense.

Again... I don't want some time machine to change what happened... I want Americans to be honest about what happened like most other countries do. We learn from our mistakes from acknowledging them and not from denying their was any alternative and that we were right to make it.

We made the wrong choice, revolting from King George ... we are traitorous and heretical criminals.  You are not Han Solo, America isn't the Galactic Empire, and the President isn't Emperor Palpatine ... though I do think Dick Cheney is Darth Vader ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 06, 2017, 11:18:55 AM

Yes, an atheist who has a Christ complex then?  Ironic, yes?  If you want to be pure, go join a monastery (W or E).  I mean that seriously and in a friendly way.  Maybe that is the path you need to take.  It was an alternative path I chose not to take, because I don't believe in pacifism.  You don't need to spend your life moralizing how everyone but you is an asshole.  And by all means, never get involved in politics, or your monk's robe will get pizza stains.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on January 06, 2017, 06:42:53 PM
Yes, an atheist who has a Christ complex then?  Ironic, yes?  If you want to be pure, go join a monastery (W or E).  I mean that seriously and in a friendly way.  Maybe that is the path you need to take.  It was an alternative path I chose not to take, because I don't believe in pacifism.  You don't need to spend your life moralizing how everyone but you is an asshole.  And by all means, never get involved in politics, or your monk's robe will get pizza stains.

I've considered taking up the monastic life, but I gotta get outta school first. Maybe one or two more heart breaks as well.