I'm sick of all this Kesha crap

Started by Poison Tree, February 21, 2016, 12:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poison Tree

For those of you who have somehow escaped the news (maybe its only getting big play in American?) the TLDR version is that Kesha is an American musician who signed an industry friendly contract, but later alleged that her producer (Dr Luke) had sexually abused her and forced her to take illegal drugs--allegations made years after the alleged incidents, made (apparently) with only her testimony as evidence and after previously saying, under oath, that he had not sexually abused her or given her drugs. Sony Records has said that Kesha could finish her contract with a different producer, but her lawyer argued that Sony would destroy her career by not promoting her music and asked a judge to void her contract, which the judge refused to do.

It's not so much that I am tired of hearing about the Kesha crap itself (although, maybe I am). It is all the "hot takes" and especially the "why isn't anyone talking about Kesha" articles when it seems like fucking everyone is talking about her that really get on my nerves. Yesterday,  25% of my facebook feed was "why isn't anyone talking about Kesha" articles. Add in another 30% for other Kesha "news" and 30% Nevada/South Carolina political news and one of my friends could have given birth yesterday and I'd have probably missed their post. I think my least favorite hot take genre is where people are arguing that, because the judge and Kesha are both women, the judge should have sided with Kesha regardless of the evidence/law in question--apparently “There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women."

I don't know if the allegations against Dr Luke are true, but looking at the lack of supporting evidence, Kesha's previous testimony that they were not true and Sony Records (seemingly) reasonable accommodation and I understand why the judge ruled the way she did.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

gentle_dissident

It's not posted on Google News, even when I tell it to show me entertainment news. It's not on Alternet. I haven't heard nor seen it on NPR. I've never heard of Kesha.

PickelledEggs

Johan

I must be doing something right. I can honestly say that my FB feed is exactly 0% Kesha. Also, until I clicked this thread, I'd never once heard of anyone called Kesha.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 21, 2016, 02:13:07 PM
Don't click it and it will go away.

Please drop that line in to a few other threads. :lol:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

mauricio

Quote from: Poison Tree on February 21, 2016, 12:25:07 PM
For those of you who have somehow escaped the news (maybe its only getting big play in American?) the TLDR version is that Kesha is an American musician who signed an industry friendly contract, but later alleged that her producer (Dr Luke) had sexually abused her and forced her to take illegal drugs--allegations made years after the alleged incidents, made (apparently) with only her testimony as evidence and after previously saying, under oath, that he had not sexually abused her or given her drugs. Sony Records has said that Kesha could finish her contract with a different producer, but her lawyer argued that Sony would destroy her career by not promoting her music and asked a judge to void her contract, which the judge refused to do.

It's not so much that I am tired of hearing about the Kesha crap itself (although, maybe I am). It is all the "hot takes" and especially the "why isn't anyone talking about Kesha" articles when it seems like fucking everyone is talking about her that really get on my nerves. Yesterday,  25% of my facebook feed was "why isn't anyone talking about Kesha" articles. Add in another 30% for other Kesha "news" and 30% Nevada/South Carolina political news and one of my friends could have given birth yesterday and I'd have probably missed their post. I think my least favorite hot take genre is where people are arguing that, because the judge and Kesha are both women, the judge should have sided with Kesha regardless of the evidence/law in question--apparently “There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women."

I don't know if the allegations against Dr Luke are true, but looking at the lack of supporting evidence, Kesha's previous testimony that they were not true and Sony Records (seemingly) reasonable accommodation and I understand why the judge ruled the way she did.

I just saw news about this today, did not give much of a shit seems like another fake sexual assault bullshit that the media picks up to cash in the sexual assault hysteria. The story i found more interesting was the man that was on trial for an entire year for allegedly fingering a women in the half second he passed next to her in a metro station. There is a fucking video of the guy just passing by her side on his way into the train and somehow he managed to put his finger in her vagina in that fraction of a second according to the accuser who is an anonymous famous actress. Ultimately he got not guilty because he was holding a cup of coffee and a newspaper making the digit penetration impossible... Its so retarded because if you watch the video so much is obvious inmediatly. But he had be on trial and the news for 1 year for that. That's what i call a kafkesque nightmare.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Johan on February 21, 2016, 02:21:11 PM
I must be doing something right. I can honestly say that my FB feed is exactly 0% Kesha. Also, until I clicked this thread, I'd never once heard of anyone called Kesha.
Yeah. I haven't heard the name Kesha since she put out a song prior to 2009 or something and someone put her on the radio. I said "what is this bullshit on the radio" and they said "It's kesha, how can you not know or like kesha?" and I said. "Well I don't like bullshit music, that's why I don't like Kesha"

Other than that, I can't say I have heard the name and I've forgotten about her completely, with the exception of this thread. So thanks for that. Thanks for reminding me of that time I had to listen to horrible, shitty, party music.

What I said in the other thread, about the "vortex of bullshit" applies to all aspects of the internet. If you click on something, it brings up related things. I am going to refrain clicking on the link because I don't want her popping up in my news feed. I hate media-drama and I'll do anything I can to keep that shit away from my feed.

Do yourself a favor, don't click it, and it will go away. Don't "like" or comment on posts that contain even a hint of Kesha if you're so tired of her. Same thing goes for other things you're tired of seeing. don't click on it. Don't comment on it. Don't "like" it. Even if it's bashing and making fun of the topic... don't interact with it. At all. That is how the internet works. It will throw 7 more posts at you if you click on it. It's like the internet is some sort of bastard hydra. Not Hydra on our forum. He's cool... I mean the hydra in mythology.

Just. Don't. Click on it.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: mauricio on February 21, 2016, 02:42:55 PM
... That's what i call a kafkesque nightmare.

That's not a 'kafkaesque nightmare'. There is nothing unwordly and a wholesome sense of unbreachable evil about a false allegation in a resolved sexual abuse case. Don't use a phrase if you don't understand it.

The only remotely, hyped up kafkaesque moment here is your rendering of the phrase 'kafkaesque nightmare' to conform one of your never ending, teenage rants about women.

Mermaid

Quote from: mauricio on February 21, 2016, 02:42:55 PM
I just saw news about this today, did not give much of a shit seems like another fake sexual assault bullshit that the media picks up to cash in the sexual assault hysteria.
Are you making an assumption here?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Draconic Aiur

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 21, 2016, 03:00:49 PMDo yourself a favor, don't click it, and it will go away. Don't "like" or comment on posts that contain even a hint of Kesha if you're so tired of her. Same thing goes for other things you're tired of seeing. don't click on it. Don't comment on it. Don't "like" it. Even if it's bashing and making fun of the topic... don't interact with it. At all. That is how the internet works. It will throw 7 more posts at you if you click on it. It's like the internet is some sort of bastard hydra. Not Hydra on our forum. He's cool... I mean the hydra in mythology.

Just. Don't. Click on it.
I was on a walk and felt a tingling sensation...

But yeah, I agree with you on this.  Let fads like this wither and die.  Don't feed it attention or views or money.

I consider myself fortunate that I have no idea about any of this news that the OP is referring to.

aitm

Its not Kesha, its the friends you have on FB, dump them. Problem solved. Please donate .75 to the forum.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 21, 2016, 03:38:05 PM
I was on a walk and felt a tingling sensation...

But yeah, I agree with you on this.  Let fads like this wither and die.  Don't feed it attention or views or money.

I consider myself fortunate that I have no idea about any of this news that the OP is referring to.
Are you... Spiderman???

mauricio

Quote from: Mermaid on February 21, 2016, 03:18:56 PM
Are you making an assumption here?

Kesha herself has said she was not assaulted under oath, according to the news i read.

BTW i used the word "seems" for this exact reason. I did not care enough to look deeper but reminds of other cases like the one i talked about in that post. Thats why it seems.