what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 09:44:48 PM
There is only one God and if it's not the God of the Bible it's not a God at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have been blowvating all over this board--so tell us how it is you know there is only one god.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 09:46:55 PM
Yeah... no.

I find it amazing that you try to convince us that we can't trust our own senses, and yet you think that you somehow know that your god is the right one. Newsflash, if you were born in a predominantly Muslim society, you would be 100% certain that the Muslim god was the real one. You're a hopeless moron.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 14, 2016, 10:25:22 PM
I find it amazing that you try to convince us that we can't trust our own senses, and yet you think that you somehow know that your god is the right one. Newsflash, if you were born in a predominantly Muslim society, you would be 100% certain that the Muslim god was the real one. You're a hopeless moron.

Allah is a false God, Islam can not claim 100% certainty because their imaginary God is not the true God. The Quran refutes itself by calling the Bible a previous revelation from God. The Quran makes claims that the Bible refutes. The Quran is false because the Bible is true.

Again, by which standard do you call me a moron?

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 11:24:50 PM
Allah is a false God, Islam can not claim 100% certainty because their imaginary God is not the true God. The Quran refutes itself by calling the Bible a previous revelation from God. The Quran makes claims that the Bible refutes. The Quran is false because the Bible is true.

Again, by which standard do you call me a moron?

This one.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 14, 2016, 11:32:19 PM
This one.

Your saying that my argument is circular and you're right. 

I can not appeal to anything outside of God to prove God.

That's like asking the strongest man in the world to prove himself without using his strength.

Your also avoiding my question because saying my argument circular is not an objective standard.

You don't have an objective standard of truth and you can't have one...

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 11:47:36 PM
Your saying that my argument is circular and you're right. 

I can not appeal to anything outside of God to prove God.

That's like asking the strongest man in the world to prove himself without using his strength.

Your also avoiding my question because saying my argument circular is not an objective standard.

You don't have an objective standard of truth and you can't have one...

That's your subjective opinion.

[mod]and on that note we'll bid your farewell.[/mod]
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Munch

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 09:44:48 PM
There is only one God and if it's not the God of the Bible it's not a God at all...

apparently spelling out the fact there are countless versions of the same god didn't quite sink in.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Sudden fiery letters in the sky or on the moon would saying "I AM GOD AND I AM HERE" would certainly make me think twice.  A suddenly switching of Jupiter and Venus would be cause for thought.  A superhero or being like Thor or Galactus would cause me doubt. 

And even then, I would want to test it.  A suffciently advance non-deity could fake it.  A deity would have to be able to simply reconstruct the universe outside of itself.   And even THEN there might be beings in a multiverse to consider. 

So proof of a deity has a pretty high bar with me.  The concept is so ludicrous, the proof would have to be equal.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

If proof is ludicrous, then only a comedian can do theology ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Baruch on October 15, 2016, 01:15:48 PM
If proof is ludicrous, then only a comedian can do theology ;-)
At least a comedian would be entertaining bullshit, rather than just plain bullshit.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Kaleb5000

Quote from: doorknob on August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM
The only thing I can think of is if god would reveal himself to us. Other than that I can't think of any.

When they have looked at all the evidence and decide there is sufficient evidence for God and then see that there is more then enough evidence for Jesus and then decide to put their faith in him. Not blind faith. Active trust. Knowing that he is the way and the truth and the life.

When you say God reveals himself what should that look like for you?

How could a timeless, spaceless,  and immaterial God reveal himself?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on October 15, 2016, 07:05:17 PM

When they have looked at all the evidence and decide there is sufficient evidence for God and then see that there is more then enough evidence for Jesus and then decide to put their faith in him. Not blind faith. Active trust. Knowing that he is the way and the truth and the life.

When you say God reveals himself what should that look like for you?

How could a timeless, spaceless,  and immaterial God reveal himself?

Surely you are not dense.
If your god could produce the bible for you--and I assume that you believe that--why not create one for every person, in every language, in every time frame?  Surely a god who can create the universe can figure out how to make itself known to the creatures he created to populate that universe.  And why not create something that is not open to interpretation?  Surely your god can do that?? 

And I have looked long, hard and deep for any scrap of evidence that Jesus existed at all.  I've found none.  After 30+ years I have come to the conclusion that he is simply a fiction.  As is god.  So, it follows that the christian religion is based on fiction.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?