Anything outside of time and space don't exist.

Started by RadThadd, August 11, 2015, 05:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I haven't done an actual scientific poll, but I have run into quite a few theists who reject science fiction out of hand, much the way they immediately reject my opinions about the supernatural.  If I tell them about a good sci fi movie, these types shake their heads with a kind of finality, "I wouldn't like to watch that!"

My first reaction to myself is usually, "Why not?  You endorse all kinds of other fictional and impossible stuff, and even brand it as something real.  Why oppose science fiction?" 

I like to come up with speculations, accurate or not, that explain these kinds of psychological dynamics.  But I haven't really come up with much since I first observed this behavior a few years ago.  I think it has something to do with how the unreal is portrayed followed by some kind of overly complicated thought processes.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: SGOS on August 28, 2015, 09:44:36 AM
I haven't done an actual scientific poll, but I have run into quite a few theists who reject science fiction out of hand, much the way they immediately reject my opinions about the supernatural.  If I tell them about a good sci fi movie, these types shake their heads with a kind of finality, "I wouldn't like to watch that!"

My first reaction to myself is usually, "Why not?  You endorse all kinds of other fictional and impossible stuff, and even brand it as something real.  Why oppose science fiction?" 

I like to come up with speculations, accurate or not, that explain these kinds of psychological dynamics.  But I haven't really come up with much since I first observed this behavior a few years ago.  I think it has something to do with how the unreal is portrayed followed by some kind of overly complicated thought processes.
Fundamentalist Xtians in particular aren't afraid of dying, and they don't worry about you dying, but they are afraid more than anything of a future which doesn't involve the above. For a man or woman to dream of improving life on this planet is to the fundy Xtian the ultimate arrogance, which can only end badly, for we are by nature sinful. For them to be raptured, and for their detractors to be judged is the only future of interest to them. If they should live to see a future in which something otherwise happens, their bubble security will dissolve around them, and then they'll have to justify hurting somebody in order to reconstruct their wall of faith. This is why they are doing everything they can to bring about human extinction through their provocations in the Middle East, while exploiting the Israeli cause for that purpose (it sure as hell isn't that they love Jews).
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

SGOS

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on August 28, 2015, 10:30:38 AM
Fundamentalist Xtians in particular aren't afraid of dying, and they don't worry about you dying, but they are afraid more than anything of a future which doesn't involve the above. For a man or woman to dream of improving life on this planet is to the fundy Xtian the ultimate arrogance, which can only end badly, for we are by nature sinful. For them to be raptured, and for their detractors to be judged is the only future of interest to them. If they should live to see a future in which something otherwise happens, their bubble security will dissolve around them, and then they'll have to justify hurting somebody in order to reconstruct their wall of faith. This is why they are doing everything they can to bring about human extinction through their provocations in the Middle East, while exploiting the Israeli cause for that purpose (it sure as hell isn't that they love Jews).

That's an interesting aspect of the dynamic that I haven't considered.

Mike Cl

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on August 28, 2015, 10:30:38 AM
That is pretty close to how I feel about that--especially the phony support of Israel.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?