Battlestar Galactica's Premise is Stupid

Started by zarus tathra, January 08, 2014, 11:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shol'va

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"Thanks. I think the problem is that Mass Effect kinda spoiled me on sci-fi for a while.
Think of the ending and you'll quickly get over it.
Do I need to recommend the Stargate series, or is that pretty much a given?
I have an unhealthy obsession with SG-1, to the point that I am re-watching the entire series now for the 3rd time. I've momentarily stopped that for now as I have started watching Farscape, I'm about halfway into the last season :(

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Shol'va"
Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"Thanks. I think the problem is that Mass Effect kinda spoiled me on sci-fi for a while.
I have an unhealthy obsession with SG-1, to the point that I am re-watching the entire series now for the 3rd time. I've momentarily stopped that for now as I have started watching Farscape, I'm about halfway into the last season :(

Motherfucking ending is bullshit
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"
Quote from: "Shol'va"

Motherfucking ending is bullshit
Motherfucking complaining about ME3s ending is bullshit. Seriously, at least it HAD an ending. The other two games were just, yeah, Shepard, and, Reapers are coming, and, dramatic pose. And even then, the games were still good anyways. The ending to ME3 was in no way bad enough to ruin either the game or the franchise.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

The other two games ended great, the third ending was bullshit. Fucking bullshit. And convientely enough it's on the thread about BSG

which started the cycle of synthetics in the first place. It was stupid then, it's stupid now, and I will always utterly despise that ending for the show and the game. Because it did not fit either genre, it was Sci fi, not fucking Starchild God bullshit.

In conclusion;
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Shiranu"I never had a problem with ME3s ending.

Let me have my fanrage

aitm

perhaps the writers are restricted by the fact that the movies are made on earth and therefore it would be easier to make it work if they could actually...you know...make the movie on earth instead of ..er..somewhere out there, so that might play heavily on the screenplay.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"The other two games ended great, the third ending was bullshit. Fucking bullshit. And convientely enough it's on the thread about BSG

which started the cycle of synthetics in the first place. It was stupid then, it's stupid now, and I will always utterly despise that ending for the show and the game. Because it did not fit either genre, it was Sci fi, not fucking Starchild God bullshit.

In conclusion; [ Image ]
I think you must has missed something somewhere. The reapers weren't made to kill anyone. They were made to solve the problem of synthetics killing people. The whole harvesting cycle was just a temporary solution to that problem until they can find a better one.
Let me be clear: I don't think ME3's ending is great, per say. But I don't think it's bad either. It was a decent attempt to wrap up the story of both the game and the franchise without causing a continuity lockout, which I think was admirable. The endings to the other two games had no such thing. They were just a lame sequel hook after the much cooler (at least for ME2, as ME1's climax kinda sucked) climax.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

GrinningYMIR

The reaper's were created by the intelligence in order to solve the problem of the organic species annihilation. The original apex race, the Leviathan, grew annoyed when their slave races would create synthetic species in order to make their lives easier, only to be utterly annihilated when these slaves revolted.

"Tribute does not come from a dead race"

SO they created the intelligence, the catalyst, to solve this problem. Its sole purpose was the preservation of life, which it decided to accomplish by slaughtering all organic species and combining their intelligences into Reaper forms, which were themselves based off of the Leviathan, the first harvest race.

Thus came the cycle, in which every fifty thousand years the Reapers would kill all organics, to save them from being killed by synthetics. Until the last cycle with Shepard where he defeated them.

That's the lore point. My problems are as follows

1. Space magic- how did the Crucible spread synthetic DNA, (Synthetics don't have DNA dammit, it's just iron and steel with an AI) wipe out all synthetics, and or make Shepard the new AI, effectively making him God.

2. The lore does not fit into what the original games suggested, that the Reapers were a dominating race of machines hell bent on wiping out the lesser organic races, stopping themselves from killing the humans because they had potential enough to be converted into a Reaper. (Which doesn't make much sense, but whatever)

3. The main writer of ME1 and 2 "Retired" halfway through development of the game and the new writer, Mac Walters, wrote the whole ending all by his lonesome, refusing to let the writing staff check it over.

So no, I cannot accept the third game's ending. I love the game itself, Its really fun, but that ending was the most disappointing ending to a game I have ever played.

and how can you call the ending of ME1 and 2 boring? They were awesome

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"The reaper's were created by the intelligence in order to solve the problem of the organic species annihilation. The original apex race, the Leviathan, grew annoyed when their slave races would create synthetic species in order to make their lives easier, only to be utterly annihilated when these slaves revolted.

"Tribute does not come from a dead race"

SO they created the intelligence, the catalyst, to solve this problem. Its sole purpose was the preservation of life, which it decided to accomplish by slaughtering all organic species and combining their intelligences into Reaper forms, which were themselves based off of the Leviathan, the first harvest race.

Thus came the cycle, in which every fifty thousand years the Reapers would kill all organics, to save them from being killed by synthetics. Until the last cycle with Shepard where he defeated them.

That's the lore point. My problems are as follows

1. Space magic- how did the Crucible spread synthetic DNA, (Synthetics don't have DNA dammit, it's just iron and steel with an AI) wipe out all synthetics, and or make Shepard the new AI, effectively making him God.

2. The lore does not fit into what the original games suggested, that the Reapers were a dominating race of machines hell bent on wiping out the lesser organic races, stopping themselves from killing the humans because they had potential enough to be converted into a Reaper. (Which doesn't make much sense, but whatever)

3. The main writer of ME1 and 2 "Retired" halfway through development of the game and the new writer, Mac Walters, wrote the whole ending all by his lonesome, refusing to let the writing staff check it over.

So no, I cannot accept the third game's ending. I love the game itself, Its really fun, but that ending was the most disappointing ending to a game I have ever played.

and how can you call the ending of ME1 and 2 boring? They were awesome
1. If you're complaining about space magic, you came on a little to late. There has been loads of "space magic" in ME.
2. I disagree that it does not fit the lore. And, even if it didn't, it wouldn't be the first retcon that ME has had.
3.I fail to see how the assholery of the writer has any bearing so long as the ending was good.
4. I have a problem with the endings of the first two games because they weren't even really endings. They were one or two lines of dialog after the climax ended and then a dramatic shot of Shepard or the encroaching reapers. There was no attempt at closure or any sort of falling action or resolution.
5. Wait, ME3 is the most disappointing? I don't mean to say this in a combative or condescending way, I'm just honestly surprised. You haven't played LA Noire have you?
-- H. L. Mencken

GrinningYMIR

Actually I loved LA Noire's ending, I thought it was pretty great.

I also would have enjoyed it better if Shepard had died like Noble six

GrinningYMIR

Biotics I'm assuming, which is what happens 1% of the time you're exposed to radioactive eezo, or you get birth defects, or die, or other fun stuff.

I despise retcons in general, they should have learned that it pisses people off to no end from the comic universe

The ending was not good, plus you're supposed to have proofreaders at the very least, not something that almost resulted in a WTO lawsuit

I loved the way they ended, it makes the universe of the game a bit bigger feeling.

Either way, the arguing is pointless, you're stuck in your beliefs and I'm not going to go full militant road and get re-addicted to the game over a discussion on a forum

in my view, ME3 ending was a travesty. the end!

Insult to Rocks

Well, it could have been worse. My poor favorite Bulletstorm set up a sequel hook with no ending forthcoming, so we are forever left hanging. :cry:  
Not that it matters. Infamous 1 has the best ending ever anyways.
-- H. L. Mencken

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"Well, it could have been worse. My poor favorite Bulletstorm set up a sequel hook with no ending forthcoming, so we are forever left hanging. :cry:  

What about the frozen throne? I liked that ending a lot

There's also the space race victory in CIV 2

and the ending of Red alert 2. Which I believe was the first game I ever beat

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"
Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"Well, it could have been worse. My poor favorite Bulletstorm set up a sequel hook with no ending forthcoming, so we are forever left hanging. :cry:  

What about the frozen throne? I liked that ending a lot

There's also the space race victory in CIV 2

and the ending of Red alert 2. Which I believe was the first game I ever beat
Frozen throne? Not familiar. Haven't finished the other two games either.
I'm curious YMIR, have you played Infamous before?
-- H. L. Mencken