what's the best thing about being an atheist?

Started by redpaint417, July 31, 2015, 02:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpaint417

What's the best thing about being an atheist? What would you say is the best thing about being an atheist? When someone asks you how you like being an atheist what do you say?

Hydra009

Any perceived advantages are of course, not the main draw of atheism.  No one stopped believing in Santa or the Easter bunny anticipating some sort of reward.  But whatever, I'll bite.  Here's my list:

* More free time
* More autonomy
* No beliefs or practices that one is commanded to obey (you don't have to abide by religious dietary rules, for example)
* A much more adaptable and internally-consistent worldview (no shoehorning faith into science)
* A morality more concerned with real-world consequences than whether or not it'll please a deity.

QuoteWhen someone asks you how you like being an atheist what do you say?
It's like owning your own life and land after a couple decades of serfdom.

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Being free of unnecessary constraint and peace of mind.  Religion can really be a way to micromanage yourself and others ... and for some ... fear inducing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

the flying fucks i give about everything religion

PickelledEggs

FinalSomnia

The annual infant barbecue and meet-n-greet.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: FinalSomnia on July 31, 2015, 08:35:48 AM
The annual infant barbecue and meet-n-greet.
Good times. My leftovers didn't last me long. Too tasty!

Sent from your mom.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: redpaint417 on July 31, 2015, 02:30:57 AM
When someone asks you how you like being an atheist what do you say?

No one has ever asked me that. One thing I appreciate about being an atheist is not feeling that there is a cosmic reason why good or bad things happen. I've known people who feel they did something wrong to get cancer or don't understand why God let their child died. Some believers have a sense of guilt that I feel is undeserved and I am glad I don't experience.

Mike Cl

Having a chance to live one's life without superstition and unfounded fear.  The suggestion that one needs to think before acting, and riding oneself of willful ignorance and blind faith.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sal1981

You're free from all the religious crap. Nothing more than that though.

TomFoolery

No boring fucking church on Sundays with boring fucking hymns and boring fucking sermons discussing someone else's views on piety and morality. (Including Wednesday evenings, for the extra devout.)
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Termin

Being a good person is frankly more rewarding.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Munch

Being able to observe the world around you, that being people, and analysis their behaviour based on their beliefs.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin