The Eggplant Emoji Is The Next Frontline Of Online Harassment

Started by mauricio, October 08, 2015, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricio

https://web.archive.org/web/20150930232240/http://www.vocativ.com/culture/society/the-eggplant-emoji-is-the-next-frontline-of-online-harassment/

So i'm not sure if this should go here or in the jokes subforum?

mauricio

QuoteIt may seem silly to point at cartoon textspeak as the beginning of a problem[..]

No, it not only seems that way, it is...

Quoteand so has our ability to consent to what is sent to us.

Cyber rape due to unconsensual emoji messaging is real guys!

mauricio

holy shit look at that degenerate son of a bitch cyber raping people.

Hakurei Reimu

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

TomFoolery

What's wrong with eggplants? If I encountered a man with a penis that looked like an eggplant, I wouldn't be offended, I would be sorry for him.

I'm too old for this shit. Better than just straight up dick pics I guess.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

stromboli

Flour, corn meal, egg batter, frying pan- you're done. Purple phallic symbol as a side dish.

Munch

poor eggplant wizard, all he wants to do is get on stage and dance.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

St. George of the Carlin once demanded to know "where is all the purple food?"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Yemeni child-bride and FGM victim bemoans the rampant sexism of the western world as exemplified by the eggplant emoji.

drunkenshoe

This is funny. I'm curious if the colour also has additional effect on the shape being offensive. You know, purple,lol. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

mauricio

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 09, 2015, 04:01:33 PM
This is funny. I'm curious if the colour also has additional effect on the shape being offensive. You know, purple,lol. 

pretty sure this trend started in japan and there  purple= tentacle rape

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 09, 2015, 02:10:04 PM

Yemeni child-bride and FGM victim bemoans the rampant sexism of the western world as exemplified by the eggplant emoji.

I guess I mostly agree with the sentiment and feel like there are definitely many countries in the world where women have it worse. I saw it firsthand in Afghanistan.

Yet some part of me has never liked the idea of trying to prove whose life is worse. If there even is a winner, the winner just gets to claim they have the worst life. Yay.

I don't think anyone can claim things like child marriage and female genital mutilation and lack of suffrage and maternity care for women in the third world isn't bad. But to pretend like sexism in Western countries isn't an issue because much worse stuff happens in Yemen or the DCR definitely deserves one of these:

Don't take it as though I'm suggesting women in the West have it worse, but really, the two situations can't be compared. And if I'm supposed to hold my entire life up to the lens of life in the third world, I'm going to come away looking like an entitled bitch no matter what I do. Like I shouldn't be sad if my grandma dies because children in Syria lost their entire families to Civil War. Or I can't feel stressed about midterm exams because it doesn't compare to the stress of people in South Carolina who have lost everything they have to flooding. Or I shouldn't find social attitudes towards women disappointing because... see above.

Also don't take it as though I think the eggplant thing is actually offensive and just another way of "keeping women down." The eggplant thing is ridiculous. Some people want to be offended, some people feed on sensationalism, and some people love offense baiting. If the eggplant is anything, it's a symbol of trollism.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

mauricio

Quote from: TomFoolery on October 09, 2015, 04:27:40 PM
I guess I mostly agree with the sentiment and feel like there are definitely many countries in the world where women have it worse. I saw it firsthand in Afghanistan.

Yet some part of me has never liked the idea of trying to prove whose life is worse. If there even is a winner, the winner just gets to claim they have the worst life. Yay.

I don't think anyone can claim things like child marriage and female genital mutilation and lack of suffrage and maternity care for women in the third world isn't bad. But to pretend like sexism in Western countries isn't an issue because much worse stuff happens in Yemen or the DCR definitely deserves one of these:

Don't take it as though I'm suggesting women in the West have it worse, but really, the two situations can't be compared. And if I'm supposed to hold my entire life up to the lens of life in the third world, I'm going to come away looking like an entitled bitch no matter what I do. Like I shouldn't be sad if my grandma dies because children in Syria lost their entire families to Civil War. Or I can't feel stressed about midterm exams because it doesn't compare to the stress of people in South Carolina who have lost everything they have to flooding. Or I shouldn't find social attitudes towards women disappointing because... see above.

Also don't take it as though I think the eggplant thing is actually offensive and just another way of "keeping women down." The eggplant thing is ridiculous. Some people want to be offended, some people feed on sensationalism, and some people love offense baiting. If the eggplant is anything, it's a symbol of trollism.

imo is not about comparing who has it worse, because i also oppose the whole ''hey woman have it worse in rape, but men get more raped in jail and commit suicide more often'' or ''hey you may be gay but you are white you do not know what is to be truly oppresed!!111" I call that the oppression Olympics the one who combines the most marginalized traits gets the most oppression points and you can't argue with his opinions cause it means you are ''denying the lived experience of oppressed minorities"

I think it is about keeping a realistic perspective and realizing that the hyperbolic rhetoric of dehumanization and oppression that is expressed by a privileged high class women with a big platform complaining at the UN about people calling her a liar and that she sucks on the internet and asking for actions to stop this.

Is a fucking joke.