Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

No, it is pretty good, Baruch. Give it a shot.  I thought it is for youngsters too, so I didn't watch it in the big screen. May be I should look into books one day.

The nature of revolution, nature of dictators and dictatorship. Heroism. Rebellion. Rebels. Basic dynamics. Pretty good explained. Surpisingly good explained actually.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Sal1981

What We did On Our Holiday - 9.5/10

A very different movie with familiar English setting. Go watch it.

SGOS

10 Cloverfield Lane  9/10

Did well with critics, but I put off seeing it because I thought it was going to be my least favorite genre (supernatural thriller).  I was pleasantly surprised, however.  It didn't follow the formula I expected.  It was more Sci Fi than supernatural, but definitely a thriller.  I'll look forward to putting this one in my private collection when the DVD comes out.

Munch

Saw the reverent. Dam good movie, given the theme it one I don't usually go for, and I completely thought this movie would be based on something else.

leonardo dicaprio was so good, his role was so rugged and brutal, you just felt the pain he went though just from how well it was directed.

9.5/10, well worth seeing.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

The Hateful 8- Tanatino movie so not much for plot or substance but lots of blood and violence. Was a bit surprised at the concentration of the Nigger being used, not so much that it was inappropriate, because it wasn't for the time, but I wasn't expecting it and I had to keep muting it around the g-kid.
the movie as a whole was- meh…about a 5….mid level bs

However I was caught off guard by the last song in the movie….never heard it before but I new voice of Roy Orbison…..

very somber song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-tFOXdwSI
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Youth  Michael Caine and Harvey Keitel.

Somewhat interesting, but I won't rate it because me rating a movie with artsy fartsy intent would be unfair, as I would deduct 9 points simply for the genre.  There are a few moments of levity, and of course, some full frontal nudity, which is required to gain full artsy fartsy status.  I like movies that make me think and wonder, but when the thinking revolves around wondering why someone would make a movie like that, it makes the movie seem pretentious, as if I lack a level of intelligence necessary to appreciate whatever the Hell is going on.  Having said that, Youth does have a plot, and it's carried to completion, but it happens in an environment of 2 hours of non-essential surreal angst and other assorted emotions interspersed with the actors engaged in long periods of dark contemplation. 

SGOS

Victor Frankenstein  7/10

Trashed by critics and almost as badly by movie goers, I thought it was a fun diversion.  It doesn't follow the original story, but goes off on it's own.  The first prototype monster they create is just a pile of junk made from animal parts.  The final monster is more realistic than the monsters from older movies, I think.  Starts out a little lame, but is redeemed somewhat by the finish.  It's probably not going to help the actor's careers much.

aitm

Night and Day….I really like this fun movie. Not a great movie, but just a fun watch. I give it a 8 only because I watch it whenever it comes on. Tom Cruise in one of his only fun movies and Cameron Diaz..you know..the gal with man hands. Still, its a fun movie.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Rewatched one of my favorites: The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, an absolutely perfect parody of/homage to the bargain basement sci fi movies of the 50s.  Recommended, especially if you're an MST3K fan -- not that it would be a good movie for MSTing, but that it parodies all the tropes that make a movie MSTable.

I suppose I should next watch the sequel, The Lost Skeleton Returns Again...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

stromboli

Lucy 6.5/10

[spoiler]Saw it on HBO. Only got that score because of Scarlett Johanssen. The plot wasn't bad- girl caught up in drug trafficking gets dose of super drug that enhances the human brain megafold. Idea is good but application not. Going from "10%" (which is BS; the human brain cannot be damaged in any part without affecting cognition) to 100% Lucy does everything including time travel to the past to meet the first Lucy to being able to levitate bad guys, whatever. Has some trite hollywood schlock like last minute saving of the heroine and other supposed "cliffhanger" shit which actually is pretty stale. [/spoiler]

I like Luc Besson but when you get into interesting possibilities I'd like to see a more nuanced and intelligent and well developed scenario. That said, Scarlett looks good in anything.

AkiraTheFighter

Last movie I saw was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I give it a 3.5/5 Cuz of the zombie and gore part of it, which i loved. But what I didn't like about it is that the marriage subplot was confusing. It didn't help that I forgot the names to boot. Once I saw Sarah Cersei Connor I knew things was gonna get confusing.

stromboli

Quote from: AkiraTheFighter on April 13, 2016, 11:33:41 PM
Last movie I saw was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I give it a 3.5/5 Cuz of the zombie and gore part of it, which i loved. But what I didn't like about it is that the marriage subplot was confusing. It didn't help that I forgot the names to boot. Once I saw Sarah Cersei Connor I knew things was gonna get confusing.

Yup you are definitely going to fit in here.  :2thumbs:

trdsf

(Re)watched The Lost Skeleton Returns Again!, the sequel to The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra.  Blamire has mastered the art of the completely bizarre Ed Wood style non sequiter, and the extensions to the core team that made up the original movie fit in perfectly.  And the Dance to the Cantaloupe Goddess needs to be seen to be believed... if you love those sci fi weirdies of the 50s, you owe it to yourself to get this.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

The Forest  7/10

I don't consider that too high a score.  For a horror/thriller, one of the most humdrum genres to work from, this was generally creepy good and had a couple of effective jump scares.  If you like creepy thrillers, I think you will like this one.  Otherwise, disregard this post entirely.

drunkenshoe

I am watching bad, 80s movies.

Right now, Teen Wolf. Yeah the one with Michael J. Fox. 1985. :lol: It's terrible of course but I am happy, because I am freaking 11 years old right now.

I may even try Bloodsport after this, but not sure if I could stand it. There is a difference between feeling 11 and actually being 11...
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp