News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Kiev burning.

Started by Insult to Rocks, February 18, 2014, 08:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moriarty

I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular opinion, here or anywhere else, but after the two mostly needless wars that Bush started (Afghanistan more justifiable to me.), I'm all for doing something for the Ukraine, if they were to want U.S. intervention that is.

It's obvious Putin will never give up power in Russia until he is dead, he is worse than the old Soviet regime, he is a dictator and to be passive to him is similar to the appeasement of Hitler I believe. Somebody needs to stand up to the guy before he starts to think he can do whatever he wants.

Yea, I know nothing will happen because Russia has nukes and people are scared, blah blah. I just think that if somebody were to throw down a serious gauntlet on him in a military manner (not punitive monetary measures) he would back down real fast.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

GrinningYMIR

Most Americans don't even know where Ukraine is, we won't get involved there especially after Afghanistan and Iraq

It's going back under the Russian boot unless NATO decides to do something

Or maybe the UN will finally do something other than issue a strong condemnation
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Moriarty

Maybe we can solve two problems at once. Release all GITMO prisoners, former Mujahideen fighters and Taliban members from Afghanistan and let em loose in the Ukraine for a while, they liked fighting Russians and were pretty good at it if I remember correctly and it settles down Afghanistan. Haha. (Joke for any idiot who thought I was serious.)
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

GrinningYMIR

haha, that was a good one actually
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Moriarty

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"haha, that was a good one actually

Eh, thanks........unfortunately I had to put the disclaimer in there, people aren't always so reasonable~
<Insert witty remark>

GrinningYMIR

Putin is not some weak dog, he's a Soviet, he has a strong backbone.

And this 100 percent looks like what happened to Czechoslovakia

Moriarty

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"Putin is not some weak dog, he's a Soviet, he has a strong backbone.

And Georgia, and Chechnya. Putin thinks he is a Soviet style leader to be sure but the reality, I believe, is far different than fantasy.

No way have the Russians been able to keep up with the U.S., or even China over the last25 years (they couldn't even do it when they were the Soviet Union), I have little doubt that the U.S. has a much large array of advanced weaponry than they do and would crush them in a military engagement, short of nuclear use. But of course, their having nukes is the problem, isn't it?
<Insert witty remark>

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Moriarty"
Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"Putin is not some weak dog, he's a Soviet, he has a strong backbone.

And Georgia, and Chechnya. Putin thinks he is a Soviet style leader to be sure but the reality, I believe, is far different than fantasy.

No way have the Russians been able to keep up with the U.S., or even China over the last25 years (they couldn't even do it when they were the Soviet Union), I have little doubt that the U.S. has a much large array of advanced weaponry than they do and would crush them in a military engagement, short of nuclear use.

Throwing this into a new thread, but I still say that Russia is a great threat

Shol'va

Quote from: "Shol'va"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Yeah, if this new development turns into civil war I don't think Russia is just going to sit by. If Russia gets into the fray supporting one side financially and militarily the west, particularly the US, will take notice. This could turn really ugly really fast.
Even if they do, wanna bet it'll never make the light of day?

I shake my head in disappointment that TSA was right all along. And there I was thinking they'd wage a covert war, silently supporting one party or another. I should have known better. I should have known they have no qualms about swinging their perceived massive dick in full public view. I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I keep making that mistake, it seems to be a character flaw.

Plu

I spoke to the girl from Ukraine yesterday, she says that the Russians are running a very strong propaganda campaign, but that even the Russian people living in Ukraine our out protesting on the streets with signs that say "Putin, we're fine, really" and are opposed to Russian intervention. But apparently the Russians are blocking all media communication in the Crimea area, so it's impossible to know what they're up to.

She also says word is that the Russians have sent 2000 troops, but no medics. She hopes this means they're just bluffing and aren't expecting any actual fighting to occur. I really hope it's a bluff and not just them being so confident about getting away with this that they expect to take the whole country without firing a shot.

(She is also understandably concerned about her brother now that Ukraine is gathering and growing its own armies to defend against the Russians if need be.)

The Skeletal Atheist

Yeah, I couldn't imagine having a male family member over there. I hope it doesn't come to a shooting war, but realistically it all depends on what Putin does. Hopefully it's a bluff.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shiranu

Putin doesn't strike me as a bluffer...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Shiranu"Putin doesn't strike me as a bluffer...
Yeah, that's what worries me. If this were Kim Jong Un I'd be pretty damn sure it's a bluff, but Putin strikes me as the guy to do what he says.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shol'va

Putin hatin' on gays and yet he takes the backdoor to Ukraine.

Moriarty

Putin isn't mad, he will only go as far as  he knows he will get away with.

That being said, I've read a couple articles that attempt to explain how this is no win for him so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

A couple have suggested that the U.N. will fast track a very eager to join Georgia into the U.N. which would completely upend Putin's entire reason for wanting Ukraine interests to begin with in an EU type Russia orbit. Surprised I have only read this online and not seen it on television anywhere.
<Insert witty remark>